1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting unit shadows to show up in game

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by MeteorPunch, Jan 27, 2011.

1. MeteorPunch

MeteorPunch #WINNING Supporter

What index number does the shadows use? Using index #245 my shadows are a light gray and need to be darker like the others in game.

2. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

index 245 would be in the first row of 16 shadow colors. If it's light grey, I initially thought it might be grabbing one of the 2nd row of underwater colors (that goes transparent to white).

But all first 16 colors (or last with PSP, etc) of the palette are shadow. FF00FF is transparent and the other end is near black.

3. MeteorPunch

I've tried more than a dozen combinations, and this is the closest I've gotten it to looking right. A lot of the others have been completely clear, completely black, or light gray.

edit: The one on the left is the normal unit. The shadow looks blended while mine looks one color. I might be fine with this, it's just confusing.

4. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

Well, Firaxis I think used red for shadow colors (red's were all very close, tough to tell them apart). So it look like the first 6 red colors on top are the shadow colors.

Looks like the shadow for the top one is all one color. So the shades of it may have gotten altered in some way. If you were making alterations to the unit, you could copy original shadows from old storyboards to the new storyboards, to get them back.

Are you modifying the unit I assume? New palette?

5. MeteorPunch

I'm converting the Arab leader into an army by using a process which is less complex and faster, but also probably lower quality. It looks good enough for me, but I'm baffled about how their shadows have layers of darkness and mine only has one, considering I've tried the exact same arrangement (2 rows of all red used by standard armies) which shows no shadow at all.

The original (non-army, three rows):

6. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

It's almost impossible to tell which reds are what, or if they are even different. I would guess that the armies have the shadow reds set up different, so when it's re-palleted, it looks for the closest color, and probably matches all the other reds into one.

Might need to copy those first 6 colors to the new palette you have above, and re-index the storyboard (that still has the shadow blends). It should probably work then.

7. MeteorPunch

I have to go for a awhile, but there's definitely something hidden about it. All the reds in rows are the exact same (255 0 0), so there's some kind of hidden scheme.

8. Wyrmshadow

Wyrmshadow Deity

9. MeteorPunch

Thanks for the link, Wyrmshadow. It made things clearer, but didn't solve my problem.

The thing is, Firaxis used some type of voodoo on their shadows that I don't understand. Their units only use a single color for the shadow, but in game it shows up as a spectrum of darkness, as if there was hidden modifiers.

Here's some more illustrations to show what I mean:

Firaxis Spearman and Kinboat Modern Legion:

Firaxis Spearman in game:

Firaxis unit palette:

Firaxis army palette:

Again, what I'm trying to do is convert a regular unit into an Army unit. When I use their exact palette (2 red rows and 1 magenta index), I get no shadow at all. The closest I've gotten through experimentation is a "single" shadow color/hue that looks decent, which I'm fine with, but I'm still curious about the whole thing.

10. Wyrmshadow

Wyrmshadow Deity

I know..... Heres what you can try. I assume you're not using Photoshop but I think you may be able to do this..

Take a normal storyboard pcx.. change it to RGB (or whatever setting you use that is not 256 color)
    Then change it back to 256 color using the new army pallete.... then select the shadow/smoke colors as I showed in the video. I've tried this before and it managed to show the shadows as a shade of dark purple. I hope that it will work for you too.

11. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

I see what you mean. Seems they have all the same color reds, but they have different portions of those reds indexed to different spots.

Spoiler :

I suppose it's similar to (in photoshop) making the top shadow row of shaded shadows of an indexed image all the same magenta color (ff00ff). It would still retain the spots that have shadows, although the colors would be the same.

You can see the shades by putting in different colors on first line:
    Spoiler :

Not sure why Firaxis would do that though.

12. Wyrmshadow

Wyrmshadow Deity

Yes.. exactly how Tom showed.

13. MeteorPunch

Success! :cool:

Thanks Tom2050 and Wyrmshadow.

14. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

This is Palette indexing... Palettes use indexing to know where colors go.
    So all colors for the .pal Shadows can be Red or any other color and the game will apply those Colors as they are in the Alpha .pal palette.

Generate a storyboard and apply the Alpha.pal palette to that storyboard, Maintain indexes, and you will see the shadow colors rather than the Red color that was used on the .pal Palette for the storyboard.

You can apply the Alpha .pal Shadow Colors to a Unit then Apply the .pal Palette and maintain indexes to have the Shadows in .pal for use.
    Yet another way would be to save the .pal Shadows and Smoke Shades and use them in the same slots for your new Unit Palette.

Using Paint Shop Pro, here are two Lists for Unit Shadows and Smoke Shades:
    note that the Palettes are reversed for some graphics programs.
    Civ .Pal Palette Colors and Civ Alpha.Pal Palette Colors

Attached Files: