1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

GFC error: failed to initialize the primary control theme

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Endwar 005, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Endwar 005

Endwar 005 The lolrus

Title says it all. What does this mean? Some thing wrong with...wah?

2. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

It always seems to give that error if the mod isn't installed in the exact location the game is expecting. I also got it when I renamed the mod, even though it was still in the proper BtS mods folder, and BtS was installed in the default location. (Its too bad, I wanted to keep a couple different working versions on my hard drive to edit and compare.)

3. [NWO]_Valis

[NWO]_Valis A bad kitty!

I had this error but reinstalling the mod, then the media pack and applaying the patch helped.

I was always able to keep several versions of the mod on my drive and they worked good. That was with the pre BTS FfH.

4. MagisterCultuum

I never had any problem with it either before BtS. I think I had over 7 different versions .22 on my hardrive (including an unmodded version, Sureshot's, Maniac's, Blaze' Maxmod, and Snarko's Options mod, some versions that had only changes I made, and some that combined my changes with other modmods), but I deleted most of them since they were taking up so much space.

5. Kael

Kael Chieftain

From the first post in the Bug thread:

6. Endwar 005

Endwar 005 The lolrus

Lol you named the exact same 2 things i did :mischief:

Sorry, Kael, didn't see the bugs thread. Will pay more attention now :)

....Still not working. Install in prog files or my docs?

7. Arqane

Arqane Chieftain

I put a post on this as well. Make sure that you've downloaded 3 files. There's the main file (which should be obvious, but isn't for people who like to read small print like me :lol: ), the patch file, and the extra artwork one if you want it.

Once you get those 3 files, make sure they're unzipped to the correct place. Different methods you used to buy the game (Direct2Drive, box, or whatever else) may have different directories.

And finally, make sure you have BtS version 3.13.

If you're sure you've done all that stuff, then I'm stumped... but I got caught only downloading 2 files. I didn't have the actual main program :blush: .

8. Endwar 005

Endwar 005 The lolrus

Is all fixed! I reinstalled BTS, and it then worked for some reason...

What's the media pack all about? Hate to change topic, but...:) i am

9. MagisterCultuum

The media pack is an optional download containing the (opening and wonders) movies, and possibly some other art stuff I don't know about; I never bothered downloading it, because it is non necessary and takes up about as much space as the entire rest of the mod! It probbaly would have been included in the main download, but have a mod take up a gigabyte isn't very download friendly, especially for those with poor internet connections.

10. Kael

Kael Chieftain

That is so werid, I appreciate you reporting back. Any idea if their was any difference between the first time you installed BtS and this time?

11. Arqane

Arqane Chieftain

As simple as it seems, I think alot of people still aren't getting all 3 files. I bet this problem would solve itself if you packed all 3 files together. The site that you download from isn't too clear on exactly which file you're downloading, and any extraneous clicks might get you a different file than you wanted.

12. CyrusOrlandeau

CyrusOrlandeau Everescan

I know this is an old thread, but for anyone who still comes across this problem with FfH, I found the reason why. I'm still relatively new modding, but I've done my research and I believe I can clear this up for anyone else who came across the same problem.
    The reason the reinstall and the repatching works is because in the process of beginning my mod, I first had Ffh2, then I patched it (didn't use the media pack because I didn't have time to dl it then), after I applied Fall Further and Fall Further's patch, then applied Fall Further PLUS. Somewhere in that process I incorrectly merged the separate mods, and tried re-designating it as my mod, but the problem was two things:
    1. The mods were incorrectly merged to begin with.
    2. Even though I believe I did everything that was necessary (changing the name of the folder, the .exe shortcut, the config file, and changing the designation of the shortcut and the config file) because of the first problem it didn't correlate well.

I'm going to try re-installing everything from Ffh2 on down and see if this works, which it should, i just have to pay more attention. =P

Hope this helps clear up any confusion. ^_^