1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ghandhi (EC) Emperor Cookbook! Let the fun begin.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Gumbolt, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Gadhi (EC)!! Let the games begin!!!

The Emperor Cookbook is a concurrent succession game series to help readers learn how to play and win at Emperor level in Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword, v3.19

Some of you may be familiar with the previous Monarchist Cookbook games. We decided to raise the level of difficulty to Emperor. Because we are always playing from the best save, this difficulty should be approximately equal to Monarch/Emperor level difficulty.

Our Emperor Cookbook game features Gandhi. We will be playing at Emperor difficulty, Epic, with a standard sized map. Huts and events are disabled for this game, as they tend to make things more random.

Here is the info on our leader, his unique unit and building as well as our starting position and settings:

Spoiler :

Our Fearless Leader:

UU:

UB:

Starting position:

Settings :

========

Round one lasts from 4000 BC - 1500 BC.

Please play this Round and submit your Report into this thread by 7th January 2010 if possible. (This time frame may change once game is up and running! I am allowing a full week due to new years.)

IMPORTANT : Please use spoilers if you want to discuss opening strategies prior to starting the round.

At the end of your Round, please remember to name your save with your name, game and Round # & game date (i.e. "EC2 Round 1 MyName BC-1500.CivBeyondSwordSave"). (And please don't forget to attach it to your Round report, either! ) Please also state your usual difficulty of play.

========

Roster:

YOU! - contributor, voter - our most important fixture, the readers who follow the threads and play along.

Now that we have upped the difficulty level, we will return to the 'best ball' system of selecting and playing saves. What this essentially means is that after we have completed each round, everyone will have a chance to vote on which save is in the best position. The winning save will be used for the next round.

If there is any player who is strong at Emperor+ level, it would be great to have you post your saves to show us how it's done. However, I request that any of you who realize your round was far superior remove your save from the voting. This rule is intended to ensure that the game doesn't get into a overly strong winning position after only a few rounds (because what fun is that? ).

Voting Rules:

1. You may NOT vote on your own save (but you are encouraged to state the strengths and weaknesses of your save).
    2. For your vote to count as winning save you are expected to have voted for 3 other saves where possible. There is an element of fair play expected from those that vote and tactical voting is to be discouraged.
    3. Only those who have posted a round may vote (those who are shadowing are always encouraged to express their opinion!)
    4. Don't vote on a save that has voluntarily been removed from the running by the person who submitted it.
    5. At the end of each round you can vote on 3 saves for first, second and third place. I believe that these votes should be made publicly in order to allow for as much discussion as possible. I strongly encourage you to explain why you are voting for a particular save. This is one of the best ways to learn, and that's what this game is all about! If you feel uncomfortable voting publicly, PM me with your vote.

After a couple days for voting and discussion a winner will be declared and we will move on to the next round using the winners save.

=======

A special shout out goes to Kossin who provided us with the map!

=======

And with that, let the Game begin...

========

Intrathread links (ToC): (note, the turn sets are subject to change, this is a tentative schedule to get this first round underway, we are still trying to find the best length for each round)

Round 0: The starting save (this post)
    Round 1: 4000 BC - 1500 BC- Playing
    Round 2: 1500 BC - 400 AD- upcoming
    Round 3: 400 AD - 1100 AD- upcoming
    Round 4: 1100 AD - 1500 AD - upcoming
    Round 5: 1500 AD - 1700 AD - upcoming
    Round 6: 1700 AD - 1820 AD - upcoming
    Round 7: 1820 AD - 2050 AD - upcoming

Attached Files:

2. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Well hows that for promptness Kossin?

If any issues please can people let me know asap.

3. kossin

kossin Deity

Looking forward to the reports and

Spoiler :
    cries of anguish!

4. Fluxx

Fluxx Mr. Almost There

Though Gumbolt probably doesnt like me anymore (justifiably so, though I have education as a partial excuse), I decided to play another cookbook.

Spoiler :

Moved warrior 1 SW, saw grass cow, settled in place.

Build worker/warrior/warrior/warrior/warrior/settler (pop3).
    Researched hunting/AH/BW/Archery/Irri/Wheel/Pottery/Writing.

Reason of researching archery because I noticed we were facing Toku + Monty + Ghengis + Brennus :eek: (was this worldbuild by any chance Gum?)

I was very unlucky with early warriors (lost 3 or so), so had to make some extra archers.

Decided to claim strategic resources first, and build good block cities on hills. Obviously the hill cities are key to the aggressive leaders we are facing

Building two more settlers as we speak. One near the pig/oasis/whine/incest/floodplains. Might seem like a silly city, but it is quite crucial for resources and blocking perspective. Also the city is a very productive city for pop 9-11.
    Most important is the city south of our capital for blocking purposes and key resources.
    Sugar + fish can be settled later.

Overall I find I am in a pretty good standing. Four cities (all of them got monument), Four workers, 4 archers, 4 warriors. Two settlers on its way almost finished + 1 worker + 1 archer.

Future prospects are either.
    1. Turtling
    2. Axerushing either one of Toku/Ghengis/Monty.

Empire overview

Tech overview

5. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Why what have you done?? I wouldnt take the SGOTM that seriously. Everyone apart from me and maybe Kossin have real lives. :lol:

You will be more than welcome in the new SGOTM team i am lining up :)

6. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Okay played a quick round as had some time.

Spoiler :

I started by moving on plains hill. Accidentally built a warrior instead of a worker. Eventually got worker out and chopped a worker and 2 settlers. Followed by a warrior or 2, a worker and a settler. I tech BW and then towards AH. Made sense with UU. I Met the rivals quickly. Ackkk so close. Having scouted for copper and horse i spot some horse up near Monty. I notice Kossin has been very generous giving toku and Monty metal resources.

I hooked up my third city right on Monty border and built 9 chariots whipping as I went along. Nearly went into strike doing the rush.

Like the charge of the light brigade they road in. Monty had 2 archers and his jaguar defending. I lost 5 units but his capital is mine with the holy shrine. The capital will be my GP farm! Sweet as.

He has 2 more cities of which the capital needs to be taken asap. The copper city had a jaguar defending last time I looked.

Few happiness issue to work on but the silver and ivory should resolve this. Pictures to follow.

I do hope you have not made this too easy kossin!! :D

Attached Files:

7. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Spoiler :

I do wonder if a peaceful strategy was the better way to go given that Toku is on our doorstep. I was a bit late finding the copper near Mongols. Not sure if my decision to settle 1W is the right one. it did perhaps place me closer to Toku. I can see a lot of different strategies playing out here.

8. kossin

kossin Deity

@Gumbolt
    Spoiler :
    There's no reasonable way to ensure an Emperor/Epic map is too easy without taking away all metals/horses from the player. That being said, it's still early in the game and you still have a few neighbors left ;)
    Otherwise, this is one of the approaches to the game indeed. Not too fond of roading flood plains this early though :p The one I took was getting rid of Toku since his Capital is also really nice as you can tell.

9. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Spoiler :

I went with monty as my horse city would have been culturally difficult to keep. prolly other resources elsewhere I didnt spot. Certainly will be interesting to see what the other people do. 2 gems in Toku border looks tasty for a second rush.

10. mjg5591

mjg5591 Prince

All right new cookbook up. I'll trty to play tonight. Going to play my a round on my emp game first.

@Gumbolt I'm still trying to get the buffy kinks worked out. Still having alot of problems, I may not have it done in time for the SGOTM.

11. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Well the new SGOTM is not up yet. Its also not clear what version of Buffy is required yet. ;)

As for this game I am giving this round 7 days so theres no rush. I played my round after i uploaded the game. Your hannibal game should be fun once you get going.

12. GreatEngineer

GreatEngineer Chieftain

So round 1 is due by Wed. Jan. 6 2010? I intend to do this Cookbook, I just want to gauge my time.

13. Soirana

Soirana Emperor

Mmmm... I got account on these forums just to join EC which was with Ghandi... How could i skip messing with start?

Spoiler :

Somebody rigged map surely, but that does not stop Ai from being damned stupid.

Actually Toku managed to get rid of mine warriors so i had to mount some chariots to pillage him and capture his under protected settler.

Cariots does not work very good with choke, but with some creative use of workers [as distraction bait] i actually got Kyoto despite heavy loses [normally i would have left him, but was aiming at nice thing at 1500BC date:D].

Actually mapmaker screwed barbs too:

Notes on save - 1 turn to Oracle - Initial plan was HBR and kill Khan. Economy will be ugly but should be salvaged on captured city money. I am afraid it will be hard to take anything else, maybe quick workl through pottery and take MC...

Setller. Initially plan was to block Monty, together with killing Khan this gives more than enough room to do anything you like later on. Alternatively it is possible to settle westwards towards pigs preferably puting gems in first ring.

Edit: IIRC, i have unlocked HE. Good to be me.

Clearly that save is not for voting.

Attached Files:

14. kossin

kossin Deity

@Soirana
    Spoiler :
    D'oh, I completely forgot to add Archery for barbs. Emperor will never be that hard although screwing up the start massively will make it harder.

15. AlejDuke

AlejDuke Chieftain

Hello, comfortable monarch player moving up to Emperor, this should be a very good way to learn the breaks of emperor and improve my game. Criticism is of course welcome.

Spoiler :

Settled in Place, went Hunting>AH>BW>Archery>wheel>writing
    worker first who started on the elephants, than the 2 cows and mined a bit.
    thought i should expand so i went skipped wonders and after i built 2 cities found my econ was faltering badly, took a while to get writing out.
    I got 3 aggressive neighbours and both horses and copper, 3 workers and 3 cities.
    unfortunately there's a barb city 1 west of my next intended city which really is a pain.

Screenies of empire, techs, and a dot map

i'm thinking the red dot next (if toku doesn't already get it), followed magenta dot, i'll have a few axes up soon to take care of barb city, should i keep it or raze and resettle?
    green dot should be safe.
    Thanks for any comments, look forward to participating in this

Attached Files:

16. mjg5591

mjg5591 Prince

Round 1 to 1500BC 50-50 player @ emperor.

Spoiler :

Settled in place.

Tech path Hunting>AH>BW>TW>Writing>AG>Pottery.

3925BC Meet Toku

3800BC Meet GK

3500BC Meet Monty

3475BC Meet Brenus Budda founder.

2900BC Meet HC Hindu founder.

2650BC Settle Bombay for horses.

2225BC Settle Vijay. Prolly mistake I could have waited for this site.

1550BC Settle Pata for copper.

Monty is WHEOOHRN and I'm most likelyt target as I am weak on military. I wanted to REX fast not to get boxed in. After pottery I was thinking maybe archery for city defense. I'm building chariots til I can get copper hooked up.

Lands.

Toku and brennus are to the West. GK is east. Monty is north. HC is SE kinda. Might be on different landmass.

I'm sure there will be better saves then mine. I could have waited on Vijay site and used those hammers for military.

Save.

Attached Files:

17. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Spoiler :

Doh at barbs only having warriors.

@ Soirana Save. You do make this level look far too easy. I hadnt thought about going for Oracle. Guess it was a no brainer starting with Msytism.

18. Toranth

Toranth Chieftain

Like AlejDuke, I'm a Monarch moving to Emperor. I've got some time this holiday, so I figured I'd participate in this Cookbook as much as I can, and maybe improve a little.

Spoiler :
    Moved the warrior S, and decided to settle on the plains hill 1W. Started building a worker, and researching Bronze Working. I felt the extra production was worth it, considering it unlikely that there would be any strategic resources revealed in the three grassland tiles I gave up.

Then I did a little exploring, meeting Tokugawa's scout on turn 5 and following it back to his capital - where I started cursing.

Yup, Kyoto is on a hill, Tokugawa's protective, and he has two riverside grasland gems in the BFC.
    If I'd had Copper in my own BFC, I would have rushed him anyway, but when Bronze Working came, I saw only 1 copper resouce: Right next to Kyoto. Which ruled out any rush.

At this point, I decided to go mostly peaceful. I'd already met Monty, Kahn, and Brennus, and decided that a quick expansion, followed by some kills in the medieval period (Cats and Swords) would be best.

I built cities east (2 north of the copper), west (One west of the Floodplain delta's hill), and south (1 SW of the rice).

Here's the world:

And the other half of the world:

And the state of the political World:

Monty and Khan do not like each other very much, because Monty founded a religion, but Khan picked up HC's religion (One of the two). This provides some opportunity, I think. I think it would be easiest to take out Khan first (fast, with lots of spearmen), then move in on Monty once he's spread his religion and built the shrine.

It preparation for that, I've built Barracks in my capital, the Delta city, and the Bronze city, and started queueing up Axemen, spearmen, and archers.

Meanwhile, I planned to build another city to the south the push Tokugawa west, towards where ever Brennus is hiding. I also planned to raze all cities except the capitals.

Finally, state of the economy: Bad. I've still got research going, but not much. I'm 8 turns from Writing, but lack Fishing and Agriculture, much less gotten the essential Pottery tech.
    Other the other hand, I have 3 workers, with one more to be completed next turn.

Over all, it looks like most of you did a lot better than I did. I'm looking forward to seeing how you all managed the quick expansion under these circumstances.

Save attached.

19. mjg5591

mjg5591 Prince

@Toranth

Spoiler :

Your save isn't that bad. I don't like Pata city in the jungle though. You are a long way away from IW. Can't clear the jungle for awhile. This city would have been better claiming the sheep/horse/marble north of capital.

Like how you claimed copper with first city. I don't have copper hooked up yet.

Nice expolring also. Seems I explored west and you east. We now know our conitnent.

@Gumbolt

Spoiler :
    I thought about Oracle here with the marble til I seen how close neighbors were. Then went into REX mode so I wouldn't get boxed in. In my expeiances Toku expands well. as does GK and monty.

20. bobbyboy29

bobbyboy29 I was saying boo-urns...

to 1500 BC- going away on the second so this is the only round i'll be playing and i won't be voting sorry :(. But I am interested to see how this will play out for obvious reasons.
    Spoiler :

Ok so peaceweights and hidden modifiers in this game mean that everyone should hate us and love eachother (i'm surprised we got brennus and not boudica, then we'd have the whole nutjob set). This meant the rush was off because:
    1) Look at toku's capital...Just look at it! (he even sent an archer out with his worker so i couldn't steal it!:mad:)

2) If we do declare war we'd have -1 demerits with almost everyone for the rest of the game.
    3) If we're at war and get declared on by someone else (likely) game over man, game over.

So i decided to expand and turtle, got pottery for cottages and growth (I think this was a great idea) now im going for alpha hoping to bribe people into wars with eachother and away from us! I settled my first city towards Toku and corn, it gives us an extra fillin city spot near the FP's but meant I missed out on marble (Monty settled it extra quick, I could hav culture fought him but I decided that no marble +city not on hill>Enraged Aztec wanting to use my skull as his hat!)

so yeh, my saves pretty similar to others except that I have pottery(good) and no marble (bad). Also monty didnt found the religion HC did, this is very bad.

Once again... Toku's cap!!! are you serious??? 2 gems, on a hill, adjacent copper COME ON!!!! (ok i've calmed down now)