Ghandi: Brazen Deceiver

Sporaticus

Drooling Barbarian
First of all, whenever Ghandi "friends" you, he only does so to come back a turn or two later and try to get you to gift him enough luxury resources to throw YOU into unhappiness.

Here's what really got my goat: I had him as a neighbor on a continent, and he brazenly abused our open borders agreement by sending an elephant and four pikemen all the way across my territory just to wipe out a barbarian base that I was using as an experience farm* for some archers. Then, to make the insult even worse, he marches them all the way back to his territory and declares war! I was able to repel his pitiful invasion force, but it really shocked me that someone so "peace loving" could be so bold and devious! No More Open Borders For You, You Scheming Sack of Mouldering Pachyderm Dung!

Another little trick that he (and others) play: When you have enough money to buy a decent military unit, he wants to get it from you under the guise of a "research agreement". So Sorry, Not Gonna Happen! I'm Buying the Catapult!

*Experience Farm: Place an archer two tiles away from a barbarian camp and pick them off as they spawn. Do not wipe out the camp. As soon as an archer gets the first "siege" promotion, switch it out for a "green" one. Once you have several that you can upgrade to crossbowmen, you have some fearsome firepower at your disposal!

Until deplomacy is fixed, I've gotten to the point I don't sign anything with anyone anymore unless it's something I want and initiate. I turn down almost every single offer from every civ now, except for those very few that actually might benefit me at the time.

And Ghandi's scrawny little peace loving act has burned me before as well.

Until deplomacy is fixed, I've gotten to the point I don't sign anything with anyone anymore unless it's something I want and initiate. I turn down almost every single offer from every civ now, except for those very few that actually might benefit me at the time.

And Ghandi's scrawny little peace loving act has burned me before as well.

Interesting. I manage to maintain friendship with most the other civs. Current game (Immortal), I think I had three early wars, but two were with Rome, which was to be expected as I heavily encroached on them (built two cities right next to Rome itself and cut their empire in half); the other was with China, but we've had great relations since and China holds no ill will over the war.

But even Rome is just guarded and has been so for a really long time (last war was late classical/early medieval and I'm currently in industrial). I think one other civ is guarded, but everyone else is friendly and I have multiple declarations of friendship.

Ghandi and I have had good relations for most the game, and I've been trading heavily with pretty much all the Civs (this despite the fact that, since I'm Greece, I've allied with most the maritime and cultural city states).

Then again, I pretty much never attack anyone else (I haven't declared war on anyone this game and havent' captured any cities), so that might make the difference.

The difference is your military strength. If you are stronger than an AI, they will rarely declare war on you (unless they have been declaring most of the game in which case they seem to develope Gadhafi Syndrome).

If you have a weak military, then even your "friends" will declare war on you.

As for DoF, I never agree to them anymore. I have lost too much gold and had to give too many luxuries and recieved nothing in return to make them worth it.

The devs need to change it so that if the AI wants you to gift them something, they should be willing to gift you something in return.

Regarding Ghandi. He always ask for money for lux if your a friend - even when he doesn't need them. And most others will too if your not careful. If your going to sign DOF, then you need to:

1) Trade your lux as soon as you develop them or a trade deal ends. Otherwise, you will get ask to give them up.

2) RA are usually a good way to spend your money. The only question is whether you expect to stay at peace with the other guy long enough for it to pay off. Its actually a cheap way to increase your science advancement rate.

3) Other than that, try to spend your money on building and upgrades. Your friends are going to want it.

4) Open boarders. I simply never sign them. I hate military units going through my territory - and I hate settlers going though even more. So I just don't sign them.

That's called a trade :eekdance::rolleyes:

No genius, a trade is when you go into the diplo screen of an AI and say I'll give you this if you give me that. I mean that if an AI asks me for something as a gift, I should be able to ask them for a gift when I need some gold or a luxury, not necessarily in the same turn. Understand now?

No genius, a trade is when you go into the diplo screen of an AI and say I'll give you this if you give me that. I mean that if an AI asks me for something as a gift, I should be able to ask them for a gift when I need some gold or a luxury, not necessarily in the same turn. Understand now?

is that the same as going to the trade screen and ask them to give you something for nothing, if not, i would like that option as well. it seems the AI always wants to go to war, so its impossible to play peacefully in some games.

I think it's time rebel against Gandhi and his oppression.

Gandhi is seriously at the point of making me racist IRL. I need a psychiatrist.

Ghandi is even worse when I play him! There I was next to the English Hag, minding my own business and just trying to get by, when I was inexplicably overtaken by an acute case of the dread Ghandi Rage! That snotty Crumpet Muncher never saw it coming......elephants and archers raging through her "empire", reaping senseless havoc! Oh The Humanity! I never felt so ashamed! As an attempt to make amends, I let the Wrinkled Tea Bag keep York.

It has been known through the whole civ series that Ghandi is a brazen deceiver and an unscrupilous backstabber. Time and again through countless games of civ one to five has Ghandi betrayed me. I mean I expect this of mad warmongers like Montezuma, Ghengis or Shaka (who is absent this time around) but Ghandi always waits until I am weak or embroiled in another war and then he strikes like a viper. That´s why I never befriend Ghandi, he is THE ENEMY

Disagree completely that Ghandi is 'THE ENEMY' - whatever that is. Ghandi is a relatively good neighbor. You just should not give him a golden opportunity to betray you, because he, like anyone else, just might take it.

Thinking this guy will not backstab you just because 'he is Ghandi' is to err on the side of carelessness. Assume he might backstab you, act accordingly, and he is amongst the best neighbors out there.

Top Bottom