1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Giant Death Robot is back?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Larsenex, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Larsenex

Larsenex King

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2018
  2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

We've been all over it in the livestream thread.

RohirrimElf and Elhoim like this.
  3. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Oh it's there. Pictures and all.

4. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

I never built one in Civ V, doubt I will in Civ VI.
    I'm not a big fan of war in Civ, but I much prefer early game wars.

comatosedragon and altayrneto like this.
  5. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

It looks like a fun unit, and I think it would be cool as a new Future Era unit but...

a) it's disappointing that they opted to have just one upgradable future unit rather than a new set of more realistic units for the era. Kind of lazy, really.
    b) it's not even a Future Era unit! It's available in the Information Era! News flash: it's the Information Era right now, and there are no Giant Death Robots nor any plans for same. This really makes late game combat ridiculous.

6. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

In all its glory!

Oh, wait... wrong GDR...

7. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

Oh it is real. My Maori Giant Death Robots are going to patu your cities with 200 metres of greenstone/jade.

8. Inhalaattori

Inhalaattori Emperor

I feel that we already heard this bad joke in Civ V so there really was no need for it. This game is silly enough already.

I would have loved to see something creative and actually interesting. I had high hopes for the future era, but it seems they are not actually adding much interesting stuff, but just adding bunch of techs that upgrade GDR. I feel like this was was missed opportunity.

Tech Osen and Tiger Genocide like this.
  9. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

It's cool, but available too early and there should have been more new units. No Stealth Bomber? Stealth Destroyer? Rail Gun Cruiser? These all already exist.

Larsenex, Siptah, Tech Osen and 3 others like this.
  10. gunnerxtr

gunnerxtr King

Someone mentioned a mod that will remove the future era units - sign me up. There are other games to satisfy the Sci Fi fans, Civ should stay in its lane.

11. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Sounded from the livestream like we have Anton Strenger to blame for getting the GDR instead of more realistic units. Looks like he still thinks he's working on Beyond Earth.

12. Sostratus

Sostratus Emperor

I too feel similar. Although with a GDR costing about what a modern armor army costs (given a military academy) it is more of a uni for uranium hoarders than just domination. Never make something whose only counter is itself- which this appears to be!
    Before its AA upgrade it's probably quite vulnerable to jet fighters and bombers though. If those fighters come in around ~110 ranged that can at least dent these big boys from decent range, esp if they get Strafe. Bombers likewise could be usable if they ahve about 120 ranged and get close air support since bomber get the -17 penalty vs land units for being a bombard. Units under 100 strength will mostly be suiciding themselves melee attacking a GDR at full health though. 30 strength difference is where the "chance for a one shot" happens. No land or sea ranged unit can even dent the thing.

Jkchart likes this.
  13. Sostratus

Sostratus Emperor

If the design goal was to have a domination player's "game breaker" then the GDR fits the bill. I'm curious what else these future techs do though, if they are all just GDR upgrade techs that would seriously be lame. (I imagine they weren't ready to show that stuff off quite yet!!)
    If that wasn't the goal then yeah they could have made a few units to bring all the unit lines up to the same level of power so half of them aren't left dangling in the modern or atomic era.

acluewithout likes this.
  14. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

GDR looks cheesey but fun.

Very disappointing if that’s the only future unit - surely we’ll get one or two more? Maybe XCOM? Happy not to have tonnes of late game units, but restricting it to just one is very limited / inflexible.

Also surprised they get free upgrades from tech rather than having to be upgraded somehow (e.g. gold).

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Tech Osen, Jkchart and Tiger Genocide like this.
  15. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

We know that Seastead improvement is from a future tech.

16. pokiehl

pokiehl King

I'm happy it's back. I hope the XCOM unit is back too.

17. bookman_

bookman_ Chieftain

I think there was 7 future techs, and four of those are meka upgrades. That means three others, one of which probably being the new ~~wonder~~ improvement, the city floating on water.

On contrary I think the GDR instead of multiple units is a bold and very intelligent gameplay mechanic.
    Firstly it really sets the end of the tech tree as something different. Instead of doing the same thing that you did for the last 5'000 years : upgrade your units into the same, but with bigger numbers. You go for something that is entirely new and fondamently different.

JimGrumpypants, Atlas627 and Elhoim like this.
  18. JJOne

JJOne Warlord

Hated it in Civ 5, will hate it in Civ 6. Cheesy and boring.

AbsintheRed likes this.
  19. chrisgatt7

chrisgatt7 Prince

My military fighting the GDR lmao

20. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

I like this version with modules better than the Civ V version. At least so far.

Jkchart and Eagle Pursuit like this.