Giant Death Robots With Atomic Bombs

CountAccountant

Warlord
About This Game
A post apocalypse Earth locked in endless war, where Giant Death Robots and nuclear missiles decide the fate of entire continents.

Or at least, that is what I want to experience during this game. I am very good at the building aspect of civilization, but if I am being honest with myself, my military skills probably rank somewhere between “mediocre” and “pathetic.” Advice from those following along is always appreciated (as is any other feedback).

Game settings are Emperor Difficulty, Standard Size, Earth Map, 22 civilizations, 22 city states, Quick Speed, Ancient Era start, playing as Sweden. I decided to start in the ancient era because I want the nations to have some history when the Giant Death Robots start marching. I have disabled all victory conditions except for domination so that there is no alternative to total, endless war.

Acknowledgements
This game was primarily inspired by the famous Civilization 2 game that was played over the course of 10 years and turned the world into an wasteland ravaged by endless nuclear war. It was also somewhat inspired by the discussions about the exact differences between England, Britain, and Wales in this thread which, as an American, I cannot even begin to understand. Finally, the brilliant narratives of Jatta Pake such as this one inspired me to begin expressing my game in narrative form. EDIT: Shortly after posting I became aware of this thread, which appears to have a similar premise. I am looking forward to reading it and am sure that it will influence this thread as well.

----------------------
The Game Begins (Turns 0 - 15)
As an American, my familiarity with other countries is somewhat limited. I think that they were sometimes mentioned during my history classes, but usually only to the extent necessary to understand how the USA singlehandedly won World War II. I’m really excited about using this game to learn more about the esoteric subject of non-American history.

I am playing the role of King Lancelot “the Snowking” of Sweden. I understand that the real King Lancelot from history ruled from the European Union’s capital city of Camelot during what historians refer to as “the Dark Ages” before America was founded. Therefore, I have renamed Sweden’s leader and capital city to provide a more accurate historical simulation. I will attempt to roleplay this game as true to his historical personality as I can.

Since I am playing an Earth map, I have no reason to doubt that most nations have spawned near their real world locations. From what I can tell from the reports of my scout, Sweden’s capital city of Camelot is located on the western coast of the African continent along her historical neighbors: Morocco, China, the Iroquois, and the Shoshone.

I have created a scout and am one turn from finishing a worker. Next turn I will begin work on the Great Library. I took Tradition in the interest of historical accuracy, since in the real world Liberty was not discovered until 1776 AD.

Here is a screenshot of my capital city at Turn 15. You can also make out the coast of Africa from the mini-map.

As an American, my familiarity with other countries is somewhat limited. I think that they were sometimes mentioned during my history classes, but usually only to the extent necessary to understand how the USA singlehandedly won World War II. I’m really excited about using this game to learn more about the esoteric subject of non-American history.

Very very wrong. Actually Soviet Union won world war II and had part on beating germany more than americans

I like it so far! You are, of course, totally right on all the history you've referenced so far...
Incidentally, what are your plans in regards to that unsettled city-state nearby? Are you going to let it be or "steal" the settler as a worker?

Perhaps the humor in this thread is too subtle. I'll try again.

:lol:

Looking forward to this one
:goodjob: on your last one and congrats on Deity win :cool:

Hope your mediocre military skills will balance AI's tactical ineptitude and we can look forward to the Forever War. Looks like you posses an American grasp of geography not just history. It does seem like the neighbors will have to be liberated sooner then 1776 AD.

Great read!
I'm looking forward to reading how the rest of the game goes.
Thank you very much! I'm glad that you like it.

I like it so far! You are, of course, totally right on all the history you've referenced so far...
Incidentally, what are your plans in regards to that unsettled city-state nearby? Are you going to let it be or "steal" the settler as a worker?
Thanks! I'm very glad to know that there are no historical inaccuracies so far. Studying history really isn't that bad once you get away from all of the reading and research and facts.

Regarding the city-state settler: I am hoping that it will get captured by some barbarians that have spawned on the western coast of Africa. Then I will "liberate" the settler, explain that freedom isn't free, and put them to work as a worker for the next 6,000 years.

:lol:

Looking forward to this one
:goodjob: on your last one and congrats on Deity win :cool:

Thanks again! That Deity win was in no small part due to your fantastic advice along the way. It makes me happy to know that you'll be following this thread as well.

Thanks, out of curiosity, does the game ask you to confirm the DOW on that settler, in same way as on established CS or Civ? Or maybe it is a free grab, without diplo hit. I assume the former is the case and in that case snatching him back from barbs is a very crafty move. Wonder how long it will take for them to grab him, they have different priorities nowadays.

haha, I'm looking forward to this. If it were me trying for a domination victory I would ban nukes through the world congress so I could just use stealth bombers in my domination (I've been burned by nukes before pretty badly, and it just takes one to stop an army of 10 bombers), but I suppose in this game you need to make sure that doesn't happen. Good luck!

Responses to the Community

Hope your mediocre military skills will balance AI's tactical ineptitude and we can look forward to the Forever War.
These probably rank among the wittiest words of encouragement I have received. I assure you, it will be a glorious battle of anti-champions.

Looks like you posses an American grasp of geography not just history. It does seem like the neighbors will have to be liberated sooner then 1776 AD.
Nonsense, my knowledge of geography ranks well above that of the average American. For example, I can find Sweden on a map. If the map is labeled. In English.

I also agree that the neighbors will need to be liberated ASAP. I have no doubt that my conquest efforts will take many thousands of years to secure Africa alone.

Thanks, out of curiosity, does the game ask you to confirm the DOW on that settler, in same way as on established CS or Civ? Or maybe it is a free grab, without diplo hit. I assume the former is the case and in that case snatching him back from barbs is a very crafty move. Wonder how long it will take for them to grab him, they have different priorities nowadays.
Good thinking. I tested it, and unfortunately the DoW screen does come up if I attempt to take the settler.

:D

Read your last one and it was hilarious :rotfl: congrats on the deity win! Can't wait to read this one.
Thank you very much! That means a lot to me.

----------

One King to Rule them All: (Turns 16 – 40)
I accumulated enough culture to purchase a new social policy, so I took Legalism to represent the famous day that Lancelot pulled the sword from the stone to prove that he was King of all of Sweden. The stone, if I recall correctly, was taken to Camelot as a free monument (+2 culture). I then took Landed Elite to represent Sweden's primitive feudal system of smurfs and vassals, and Monarchy to represent how the King defeated the usurper Oliver Cromwell on the battlefield to secure the monarchy's power once and for all.

Barbarians captured the roaming city-state settler almost immediately after my last post. It took me some time to actually liberate it, though, since the Shoshone had two or three pathfinders attempting the same thing. I was eventually successful. Here’s a screenshot of my warrior and scout (archer) attempting to outmaneuver the Shoshone.
Spoiler :

This next part was extraordinarily painful: I missed the Great Library by ONE turn. But I seem to recall that Sweden did not build the Great Library historically, so I guess it makes sense. I think it was the armies of Julius Caesar that built it in the real world, so maybe the Great Library is in Rome.

My attention now turns to the other nations. The Iroquois agreed to be my friend (and then immediately demanded the sugar that I was about to sell them), but Morocco and China need to liberated from tyrannical rule ASAP. I took a gamble that Morocco is less popular than I am and formally denounced them. Now I am teching towards composite longbowmen and spearmen in order to unleash the bloodthirsty warmongering armies that Sweden is famous for.

Here is the world at Turn 40. Note the rapid expansion of Morocco and the Iroquois on the mini-map.

haha, I'm looking forward to this. If it were me trying for a domination victory I would ban nukes through the world congress so I could just use stealth bombers in my domination (I've been burned by nukes before pretty badly, and it just takes one to stop an army of 10 bombers), but I suppose in this game you need to make sure that doesn't happen. Good luck!
Ooo, good point. I'll need to make sure I maintain influence with the world congress to prevent anything like that from occurring. Thanks!

I've never seen the AI propose the army tax or a nuke ban, although they have voted for the latter before, so you should be safe in that regard. Still a long way to go though. Sometimes I wish there were a civ mode where instead of victory conditions, each current victory would just create a mega wonder. Like, the space ship would add 50% of your city science to your city production and income, the culture victory could permanently increase your culture by 100%, and being elected world leader would give you permanent alliances with all city states, and the world leader session becomes a session where you can propose a new resolution. I haven't fully thought this through, and maybe that would make victory be stupidly overpowered afterwards, and also would kind of mess up the idea that you can win peacefully, but I've always had the desire to know what happens to the world after I win, and I want my win to do something cool.

The fact that the City-State settler got captured is freaking hilarious

:goodjob: so far!

Responses to the Community

<snip> ... I've always had the desire to know what happens to the world after I win, and I want my win to do something cool.
I agree with the sentiment - the end of the game is just so abrupt. Although I think that Civ 5 is the best in the series overall, I felt more satisfied after winning a game with the long victory sequences of the earlier versions.

Awesome :lol:

I laughed, out loud, at work, people looking funny at me now ... it's all your fault. I should really close the browser now ....

GL with your conquest!
:D Really, it's your co-workers fault for not taking more enjoyment in their work. If their low morale didn't prevent them from routinely laughing and singing while processing expense reports and spreadsheets then your behavior wouldn't have seemed unusual at all. Also, welcome to the forums!

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it.
Oscar Wilde
Very well said. And as the writer of a make-believe history, I take great pride in my make-believe genius.

The fact that the City-State settler got captured is freaking hilarious
Not to mention extraordinarily convenient. I never expected it to get captured as quickly as it did. The previous barbarian that spawned from that encampment didn't even go anywhere near it.

Top Bottom