Giant Death Robots!

norman1994civ5

Chieftain
My favorite military unit in the entire game is the GIANT DEATH ROBOT! Watch this short little clip to:cool: see what powerful unit we are talking about here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8FxaR3jSgY
So I was wondering...... how many GIANT DEATH ROBOTS have you had in one game at the same time!? I am hoping for a big number!

Think I'll start the replies off so there is only one way to go from here, up!! :)

I'm not real big on the GDRs, and I guess the whole Domination win condition. I have played 1,200 hours of the game and I have yet to build a single one. Think my friend has built 1, so I have at least witnessed 1 in game tho. :)

On my 3rd game, I got a songhai tech victory (not too bright back then) and since I still wanted to capitalize on my abilities, I had a vast army. Ended the game with 3 GDR's, and got to use them in action. I think I've built 1 GDR outside that game, and never used it... Does this make me the unnoficial kind of gdrs? :king:

had a game where city states gave me them, ended with 7 -8 of them..
i did use them but not properly since most of them died..

Given that their tech is usually the last one I research before starting on Future Tech, I don't use them all that much. They can be fun, though. I love how they're a cheap upgrade from Modern Armour now.

I always build these as the only ground units for defense (apart from artillery and SAM in coastal cities). Means my awesomly upgraded army can concentrate soley on attacking other civs. Can't say I've ever had enough Uranium to build more than 5 at one time.

I have also had CS gift them to me, stupidly stopping my production of Nukes as my Uranium was then taken away from me (just deleted GDR and re-started Nukes)

If i focus on domination, I usually had 1 before GK, and 3-4 along with mobile sams in GK.

I think GDR were designed to be a fast-forward win unit, so you could win easily if you are the first ot have them.

I have used them once...I was Russia (Siberian Riches) and I took the Fascism policy in Autocracy which allowed me to have 4x the normal amount of uranium. I could build a Nuclear Plant in all of my cities and still have like 40 uranium left to make bunches of nukes and GDR's. Couple that with Big Ben as well as Militarism and Mercantilism policies and you can buy GDR's for only 350 gold!! That's like the cost of a catapult in the early game!! I had like 10 GDR's, 5 nukes, and a bunch of Rocket Artillery. The most fun information-era war I ever had.

I think I actually had them in my queue on one game, but I've never actually used them as the game is typically over by then.

One thing I haven't yet seen but would be interested to see is the AI actually going to war with the GDRs. It takes away from their awesomeness when you don't get to see two fight it out.

only 1, in my first game on civilization 5 on settler :) (my first civ game ever too)
Now that I play more "seriously" :confused: and on higher difficulty levels, they are rarely seen (I haven't seen one since that first game) since games end so much earlier before that.

the most i have had is just one or two. They are pretty destructive though. takes two hits on a city to completely destroy it

Giant death robots? Sounds absolutely stupid.

I mean, couldn`t they at least change the name so it doesn`t sound like a 10 year old designed it? how about the X8205 Nexos? that would`ve made a heluva lot of difference.

maybe there`s a mod to change names of things?

Giant death robots? Sounds absolutely stupid.

I mean, couldn`t they at least change the name so it doesn`t sound like a 10 year old designed it? how about the X8205 Nexos? that would`ve made a heluva lot of difference.

maybe there`s a mod to change names of things?

If it wasn't named 'Giant Death Robot', it'd completely defeat the purpose of it being in the game, though.

If it wasn't named 'Giant Death Robot', it'd completely defeat the purpose of it being in the game, though.

Why? It would feel more `realistic` if it was just named something that an adult would actually name it and help suspend a person`s disbelief.

Top Bottom