1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Giant Earth Maps

Discussion in 'RoM Scenarios and Maps' started by zappara, Jul 30, 2009.

1. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Here's a couple Genghis Khan's Giant Earth Maps converted to Rise of Mankind 2.71. The map was already included in one form with the modpack but I decided to start making few more as RoM has new civs that could be used in this map. I've also made one map which has no preset civs so you can decide yourself who you want to be in that game - it's also good map for making more scenarios and I've already started making few more for the Mega Civ Pack.

Currently I'm working on a map (req. Mega Civ Pack) which has 50 Modern day civs at historical starting locations. Once that version is ready, I can start making other period scenarios (WW1-2 hopefully).

I've added Storms to the map and also made it more difficult to explore other continents.

Unzip the rar file to 'Rise of Mankind\PrivateMaps' folder.

Credits to Genghis Khan for the original map.

Attached Files:

2. cheesemijit

cheesemijit Chieftain

if your interested in Modern Scenario's please lend us a hand for the World 2009 Mod, we lost are 2 Experienced modders and really need help with python and up modding.

A few questions:
    There is a new version of GEM that makes quite a few improvements to the map, how hard would it be to convert this to RoM?
    Would you ever have the patience and time to convert one of GEM's Scenario's?
    Are the Storms you have placed Permanent? because there are so many it is slowing the game down!
    I am making a Scenario with GEM, was going to use Jooyo's but this has the extra Peat Bog's in russia and stuff which is cool, when defining the civs in the WBS if you leave a part out, eg: ArtDefine or Colour or FlagDecal, does it go by the default or does is not work?

3. Ivan_the_Black

Ivan_the_Black Chieftain

Please excuse my inexperience.

I unzipped the GEM ROM map files into the ROM private maps folder, however, they do not appear under custom scenario, or scenario options.

Also I have tried to load it up in the world builder but haven't been able to.

What am I doing wrong?

4. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

My experience with maps isn't that huge - mostly converted maps to be used with my modpack which comes now with 26 premade maps. Only scenario so far that I've made has been colonization 1500AD scenario for RoM. I would like to make more specific scenarios but making patches for my modpack usually come first and I devote only little time for map files. Though now RoM is quite complete already so I guess I can use bit more time for maps from now on. :)

I didn't know that there was newer version. I got to download it. Converting it to RoM is easy task but rather time consuming as RoM has plenty of new resources that need to be placed to the map. But since I already got older GEM converted to RoM, I can probably use Winmerge program to merge the resource changes - nevertheless it would take one or two evenings to convert the new version of the map for RoM.

Do you mean the scenarios I make or some existing GEM scenarios? I guess I could try converting but note that I haven't tried creating complex scenarios yet and I'd need to look up for some historical maps before trying to make f.ex. World War scenarios.

Storms in RoM are dynamic mod feature ie. they expand and disappear randomly. My test game seem to indicate that from GEM map most Storms disappear in couple hundred turns so they aren't working with this map exactly the way they are supposed to. They do seem to slow down the game so I might have to remove them - some random events will anyway generate Storms during gameplay.

I think some tags are needed and some can be left out. I haven't tried what civ specific tags could be left out. I'd assume the game would use the default values if it's left out from map file, though this needs some testing.

Make sure you unzip the rar files to the privatemaps folder that already contains other RoM map files (those that are included with the modpack). The new maps should appear on the custom scenario list after you've reloaded the mod.

5. Ivan_the_Black

Ivan_the_Black Chieftain

Thank you for your prompt help.

I made sure I extracted the rar files to the private maps folder under the RoM mods folder and restarted the mod.

Unfortunately, the scenarios didn't appear what is more I noticed that other scenarios are not showing up as well such as Antartica, Demographica, Huge Europe, etc.

I even went and made sure to re extract the files to the private maps folder to no avail.
    Interestingly when I try to load the map in world builder it immediately says I lost the game shows a black screen and then goes through the motions of a normal lost game end game.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

6. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Don't know what prevents maps from showing up correctly in the custom scenario menu but you could try this:

Create new folder named PublicMaps under Rise of Mankind folder
    Copy/extract map files to this location
    Start the mod

If this doesn't work, then you could alternatively try to move the map files to 'Beyond the Sword\Publicmaps' folder. Just note that RoM maps won't work with vanilla BtS.

7. Ivan_the_Black

Ivan_the_Black Chieftain

Thanks again,

I don't know if this is significant, but I have tried loading up the world save directly and it boots up RoM on its own it goes through the motions of allowing me to choose a civilization, loads up the map, and then I am confronted with a black map screen and the statement I have lost the game.

Tried creating a public maps folder in RoM moving the files there to no avail.

8. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Maybe there's left some unexpected bug in the map file. Which one did you try using and what civ you tried using? Anyone else experienced similar problems with these maps?

9. cheesemijit

cheesemijit Chieftain

10. Ivan_the_Black

Ivan_the_Black Chieftain

I tried the preset civs map and ran into the issue with the black screen/ defeat on load up trying multiple civs.

I tried the random placement map and started playing just fine, however, both never show up in the scenario selection screen I have to directly load the map manually from the directory.

11. civ4ludo

civ4ludo Chieftain

Hi Zappara,
    thank you for your great mod.
    I have a question about "lots of resources". Can I use with RoM? If yes, do I have to move it to the private maps folder of RoM?
    Thks,
    Ludo

12. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Yes, RoM looks for map files from that directory.

13. civ4ludo

civ4ludo Chieftain

thank you!

14. Chiyochan

Chiyochan Chieftain

thanks, i just went looking for this and here it is, now i can play without randomly placing the new resources.

15. SaintRaw

SaintRaw Chieftain

I love GEM with RoM..
    You guys should continue improving GEM.

I only play on this map so seeing improvements makes me happy, not that there is much to improve ^^.

16. cheesemijit

cheesemijit Chieftain

Your Giant Earth Map doesnt work with 2.8, I think it is because of Henry VIII being in the scenario but not the mod, should be easy to fix. I have made a few changes to the scenario but Civ start positions may be a little off, i have tried to balance out asia a bit. I have aso but marsh where i believe it was intended by Genghis (The desert with floodplains where it did not belong (India, Netherlands, China)). View attachment RoM GEM 37 Civs.rar

PS: Where is Henry VIII? he was my favorite LH (Sci/Ind)

17. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Just checked and he is included with RoM 2.8Full mod. Lite version doesn't include new modular leaders.

18. generalstaff

generalstaff Steadfast

You could also wait until this weekend. I plan to release my updated LH Pack; it contains Meiji, same traits as Henry VIII.

19. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Cool, I was going to add your leaderpack to new Mega Civ pack and some new civs from Civ Gold 5... ;)

20. generalstaff

generalstaff Steadfast

That is cool news. Just make sure to not include the duplicate leaders (Geronimo, Franz Joseph, Maria Theresia, Robert the Bruce/Robert I (I do have better Music for Scotland though) that I know of).

Also, my LH pack will be available today. There were not many 2.8 changes.