Giant Maps and other ideas:

eduhum

Aahh the gold old days...
Usually, in, for example, an Earth Map, at the end of the game the entire world is dominated by empires. There is no a small litlle punny sick square that is not conquered by civilizations. But in realitty this is not like that. Look at the Aztecs. They had a great empire, but in civ terms this would only fit in one city., and you usually look at the end, and in 1600 the Aztecs hava founded Caracas, or Boston, So far?

My idea is that maps would be 1000x1000 or something like that, and, for game play reasons, city X with popuation 1 has occuped 1 square, with 3 population 2 squares, and so on.

There would be MANY minor civs that appear and dissapear, they can settle, but their power rating is LOW, and they dissapear automatically.

I would love seeing Defensive Pacts and Vassals States much more improved

When a unit enters desert or ice squares it would loss life points every turn.

There would be also small religions that appear randomly and cannot be spread
Egipitian Politheism
Greek Politheism
Babilonic Politheism
Aztec Politheism
Mayan Politheism
I don't know what is the name of a religion nowadays in the extreme north-india, in the middle of that war
Zoroastroism
African animism
Oriental animism
That other religion in japan I also don't remember it's name
Others…

What do you think of this? I would like to see comments

Well, I reckon that Civ 5 should include Modern Earth scenario, with a ridiculously large map (i.e. Belgium would be the size of Australia on the current Earth map), and about 200 civs (i.e. every country in the world, with the exception of ones that would be impossible to include, like the Vatican). Unfortunately, I don't think this is going to happen, and even if it did, it would probably take about a day to have a turn if you were Russia, and another day for your computer to process all other turns. Ah, well, I suppose I'll have to wait for computers to drastically increase their capability to lay massive massive games.

I'll say that maps do need to get larger. The earth map in Civ 2 is larger than the earth map in Civ 1 while Civ 3 & Civ 4 are about the same. Europe on the earth map is too packed with the amount of civilizations available. Spain, France, Germany, Romans, Greeks and the English can only build 1-3 cities before their borders meet. As compared to the East Asia where China, the Mongols, Korea and Japan can build a good 4-5 cities before reaching a limit.

I think the oceans are too small in Civ 3-4. It should take a destroyer with a movement point of 7, 10 turns from the Alaskan Coast to Tazmania than the 6-8 turns it is now. If there was a ratio to make Civ 5 maps bigger, it would be 1.10 - 1.25 larger than those of Civ4.

And other idea: You cannot contact with another leader for your first time until you have discovered his capital, and you have to have trade connections to visit him again

I miss the Civ2 earth map. Lower the graphics if need be, but gimme back that scale.

Well, I reckon that Civ 5 should include Modern Earth scenario, with a ridiculously large map (i.e. Belgium would be the size of Australia on the current Earth map), and about 200 civs (i.e. every country in the world, with the exception of ones that would be impossible to include, like the Vatican). Unfortunately, I don't think this is going to happen, and even if it did, it would probably take about a day to have a turn if you were Russia, and another day for your computer to process all other turns. Ah, well, I suppose I'll have to wait for computers to drastically increase their capability to lay massive massive games.

Check out my sig!

Yeah, I think that is a great project, with the slight problem being that I use a Mac.

Out of interest, how big is your map?

Yeah, its a real shame Firaxis hasn't released BTS for Mac, their missing an entire market of people. Oh and we're using the GEM (Giant Earth Map).

Yeah, its a real shame Firaxis hasn't released BTS for Mac, their missing an entire market of people. Oh and we're using the GEM (Giant Earth Map).

Whilst I don't doubt that your mod will be amazingly awesome, I'm thinking (unrealistically) of more of a 2000 x 1000 map, with 200 civs. Not going to happen though, until consumers have supercomputers, I'm guessing.

:badcomp:We want super-computers!!!We want super-computers!!!

Whilst I don't doubt that your mod will be amazingly awesome, I'm thinking (unrealistically) of more of a 2000 x 1000 map, with 200 civs. Not going to happen though, until consumers have supercomputers, I'm guessing.

That would be really cool! But even now, the GEM map and 50 civs is really pushing the limits on even some of the stronger computers these days, the only way I'll be able to play is with the graphic settings really low, even then the turns will take a while. But I can't wait for the day in which your vision (massive map with 200 civs) will come true! I just love everything big :D.

There are 192 nations in the UN, 200 civs on the Great Earth map is stupid because elimination of other civs is one purpose in playing this game. I've played starting with 18 civs but never finish with the remaining 18. Maybe, like 14 or 12 are left by the time I reach 2050. 48-64 would be more realistic.

As for the map size, I wouldn't doubt I'd have to make a few computer upgrades or buy a new computer altogether just to be able to play the Great Earth map. But hey after the years, that's software & hardware progression for you.

Instead of the useless resoure consuming 3D stuff in Civ4, I hope Civ5 concentrates on gameplay that can be appled on the Great Earth map like weather, solstices & equinoxes. Improve trade on land & sea, impliment a whole new economic system and revamp air combat. There are a lot of other people who have played Civ from 1-4 like myself and they might have some good ideas. For example the guy who made the Blue Marble add-on reflecting NASA images of Earth is probably an avid Civ player from 1-4.

There are 192 nations in the UN, 200 civs on the Great Earth map is stupid because elimination of other civs is one purpose in playing this game. I've played starting with 18 civs but never finish with the remaining 18. Maybe, like 14 or 12 are left by the time I reach 2050. 48-64 would be more realistic.

Extra civs could be like Taiwan, Palestine, Kosovo, and other breakaway and disputed states. Although they may not be officially recognised, they are still their own entities, and would probably be interesting as civs. Imagine a game in which you were Georgia 'reconquering' South Ossetia. And don't forget Switzerland. And this could still be a game of conquest, if you so desired. It would just be much, much harder. I think Tajikstan would have a bit of a problem conquering Russia. But if you were playing as Russia, you could conceivably conquer a large portion of the map. Of course, other victory conditions would have to be in place for this sort of scenario, or maybe instead of victory, as such, you just have a set of objectives to achieve, such asserting dominance in your region, or obtaining a higher standard of living.

Extra civs could be like Taiwan, Palestine, Kosovo, and other breakaway and disputed states. Although they may not be officially recognised, they are still their own entities, and would probably be interesting as civs.

I highly doubt these extra civs will be in the next Civ game just by judging Civ2 - Civ4 and their respective expansion packs. I think the regional block concept of the EU, NAFTA, the AU, the Arab League and ASEAN is something to add during the late stages in game play.

I highly doubt these extra civs will be in the next Civ game just by judging Civ2 - Civ4 and their respective expansion packs. I think the regional block concept of the EU, NAFTA, the AU, the Arab League and ASEAN is something to add during the late stages in game play.

Sure, it's not something I expect, but this kind of scenario would be nice.

I think that the every empire should have a list of Vassals that they create, with about 42-64 empires.

Also, I've tried loading something that was "Earth" scale.

... Good lord.... It took about 15 minutes to load, 5 minutes for my computer to be able to zoom in, and then each turn took a good 2 minutes.

I think that the every empire should have a list of Vassals that they create, with about 42-64 empires.

How about a bunch of independent vassals/colonies that combine and create an empire/country. Only the strongest of the vassals becomes dominant while the other vassals specializes in other areas for the empire as a whole.

That one would be a good idea.

Maybe about 50-70 empires, then, because some would obviously end up small, and may combine.

In terms of maps, I would like an Earth map to be 180 X 360 tiles (fits correctly with our real world mapping system, in which 1 square degree would be a single tile). That way, for instance, every small country would have at least 1 city with the 8 adjacent tiles.

About the substates concept, not only it will serve for ancient city-states or nobility/feudal domains; it can also serve for countries organized as federal republics (i.e. USA) or for country blocks (i.e. European Union). That can add up for some complex diplomatic gameplay.

Top Bottom