Gifted a Merchant of Venice - I'm not Venice

binhthuy71

Emperor
Playing as Morocco I was gifted a Merchant of Venice some time after filling the Patronage policy tree. Though I was accustomed to being gifted other civ's UUs this was a first. Grabbing a nearby powerhouse militaristic CS would give me a great advantage in pouncing on Odo's capitol so I dispatched the MoV to it and voila, I had the option of either annexing or puppeting the CS. The rest was history and so was Odo.

The OP thing especially that those gifted MoV are better for you than for Venice! As you noticed, you have the option to annex (not that you necessarily want to at first).

Be careful when puppeting or annexing a CS that is under the protection of other AI civs. Only Venice can get away with this you will have the nasty negative diplo modifier "you killed a CS under their protection".

Be careful when puppeting or annexing a CS that is under the protection of other AI civs. Only Venice can get away with this you will have the nasty negative diplo modifier "you killed a CS under their protection".

I think you dont get any negative benefits from that. Austria doesnt get any negative modifiers from that either.

I was gifted a Merchant of Venice as well. I also was gifted a Khan while playing as Byzantine and Ottomans.

I get torqued off when out of 12-16 CSs, there are zero military CSs to ally with !!

Merchants of venice get gifted by city states and accepting them isnt a big deal. I could tell you guys finished the patronage social policy tree because thats the only way Ai will gift you great people.

You can get Khans this way too. Though most hilarious was when I was playing all-land map with few small lakes, and was gifted Great Admiral. He appeared on a lake next to my capital.

I'm sailing a mov over to a city state right now. It's turn 220, and I have no business adding another city, but Malacca has two workable natural wonders. Two, man!!!

I'm so hooked on finishing patronage.

Merchants of venice get gifted by city states and accepting them isnt a big deal. I could tell you guys finished the patronage social policy tree because thats the only way Ai will gift you great people.

Yep, I had finished Patronage. I've just come back to Civ after a long hiatus and I'm learning the ways of BNW. Patronage seems like an easy way to ensure CS allies for the later game World Congress votes. Being gifted an MoV may not be a big deal, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that the game regarding taking a CS worked for non-Venice civs. That detail, to my knowledge, isn't covered in the Civipedia.

Yep, I had finished Patronage. I've just come back to Civ after a long hiatus and I'm learning the ways of BNW. Patronage seems like an easy way to ensure CS allies for the later game World Congress votes. Being gifted an MoV may not be a big deal, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that the game regarding taking a CS worked for non-Venice civs. That detail, to my knowledge, isn't covered in the Civipedia.

I was surprised/happy to discover that as well. If you weren't able to annex it would be pretty limiting compared to Venice since you can't purchase in puppeted cities like they can.

The patronage finisher is sneaky good. You can't pull it off on immortal or deity as easily (or at all in my case). Since the bonus isn't set, you can't plan a fixed strategy around it (like you can with the liberty or rationalism finishers). However, I seem to average 7 to 10 extra great people per game, which is quite a bonus when you think about it.

Top Bottom