1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gigantic Map Option

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by CyberTyrant, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

Very good job, low!:goodjob:
    Playing gigantic maps now with great fun! Creation takes considerably, yet not untolerable more time, and after retiring (I've lost my third city to Barbs for three times in a row... :lol: ) it took almost 50 sec to move to the next screen of the retiring sequence (yes, I keep track on all my miserable efforts :scan: )

Ingame I faced the following "problems": turn on grid display may take up to 15 secs.
    ALT-TABbin could cause up to 35 secs to get screen display back, so I did it just once to check memory consumption which resulted in Civ4 using up to 663 MB at that time. Overall memory consumption was 1.09 GB (IE, Taskmanager, Explorer in background).

As far as I see it, all this is not your fault but caused by bad programming, since in the case of the retiring the engince shouldn't have any things to do anymore and in the case of the grid it should display grids only at visible squares.

Ah, btw:
    P4 2.6 GHz
    1.5 GB RAM
    ATI Radeon Sapphire 9600 (256 MB)
    Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS

2. ejdacanay

ejdacanay Chieftain

actullay my comp is pretty good, dont know y its so slow

here is my comp specs:

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2700+
    XP Media Edition
    2.17 GHz
    1 Gig RAM
    Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
    80 GB Hard Drive

3. Plumbean

Plumbean Warlord

:goodjob:
    love mega maps

4. CyberTyrant

CyberTyrant Emperor

:confused: My only suggestions would be to make sure you're not running any background programs and do a reboot right before you start playing.

5. jpinard

jpinard Martian

As I mentioned in the other thread, I've discovered running larger map sizes messes up many of the map options. To test this, bring up a large Pangea map and check out the entire world... now load up your Gigantic map and look at it again.

To get this to work properly, I believe we're going to have to mess with the random map generator scripts :(

6. CyberTyrant

CyberTyrant Emperor

Good. I've replied to you in the other thread. I'm looking into it right now.

7. Smidlee

Smidlee Deity

I got a AMD 64 X2 3800+ and GF7800 gt oc card. It's not the processor since it barely get over 50% nor my graphic card nor my hardrive since it barely running. As others mention the map itself is a hog when it comes to physical ram and doesn't seem to want to share it.

8. Fenryial

Fenryial Chieftain

Likie most are saying it does take a long LONG time to generate a map when it is just 1 point higher than 32x20 for some reason and the map keeps giving me the same EXACT map!
    My specs are a AMD fx57, 2gigs ocz ram, BFG7800GTX. I would think that it would take less than a lot of minutes to make a map. When I choose HUGE its fast but if I change it to ANY SIZE larger than 32x20 it takes forever and a day to make. I made a 48x30 and took like 15-20 min and then I tried a 64x40 and it took like 45min then crashed to desktop. And when the others did work it makes the same map :(

Fenryial

9. doncabron

doncabron Chieftain

hi.. noooooooo! it doesnt work by me! when he start to load the map, you can hear the adviser and he stops at "initializing"... can somebody please help me?? i really need a bigger map... is it couse i am from germany? and i have the german version?? my computer: p4 3.2 GHz, 1 GB ram, 256 MB NIVIDEA geforce 6600, windows xp media center edition,.... please help me!!

10. AsnoT

AsnoT Mostly Civilized

yes. has always been a problem with germans. [/joke]
    :D

11. CyberTyrant

CyberTyrant Emperor

There seems to be a couple of issues with random map generation. I'm just glad to know it's not my mod that's the root of the problem here. For you guys having all these issues, I would suggest waiting until Firaxis releases a patch to fix the map generator and then see what happens.

12. Fenryial

Fenryial Chieftain

Also one thing I noticed when it displayed the high scores at the end. WHen you added a mod for an other map thats large and played a game or two you have those listed in your high scores with the map size next to it. Now I take the mod away and play a huge game, and after I finish the high score list is empty! If I choose all maps that are Huge I can see my game but if I choose ALL SIZES NOTHING is there. I think it cant find the mod I took away and gets confused or something. Anyone else see this?

Fenryial

13. Fenryial

Fenryial Chieftain

And the large games I did make (up to 48x30) worked ok and played ok till end but with no water generation I have just been playing the huge map. When we/Low figures this out I will attempt to play larger maps again. Oh and by the im in San Diego, CA and I LOVE MASSIVE maps :) And no I never been to Germany. I played AOE3 and thier maps are so dang small its stupid. I only played that game to see graphics and after that its on the shelf :( I love when makers of these kind of games let us have GIGANTIC maps.

Fenryial

14. Ankenaton

Ankenaton "The Heretic"

I definitely agree. I am currently playing two Huge games on the Epic speed level on my laptop and my desktop. Hopefully a two week minimum of fun!

15. didaskalia7

didaskalia7 Nightmare Proportions

Hey, Just wanted you to know, I think the Gigantic map idea was great.
    I was one of the 36 daring people that loaded it into the game.
    Then I went in and made it larger 48x30. I havent had any problems yet.
    Plus, I play on dynastic time also!
    Great job on the map! thanks, I'm playing Canada right now!:goodjob: :crazyeye: :crazyeye:

______________________________________________________________________________________

P4 2.6
    1.0 GRam
    ATI Radeon 9200
    Sound Blaster 5.1

16. FexFX

FexFX Prince

CONFIRMED
    Great Plains, Highlands, Hub, Ice Age, Inland Sea, Lakes, Maze, Mirror, Oasis, Pangea, Ring, Team_Battleground, Terra, Tilted Axis, Wheel
    DO NOT WORK WITH SIZE CHANGING MODS!
    All of these map scripts result in a single land mass without any water, and climate banding, from ice to arid at the edges gradiating to jungle in the very middle.
    Their Scripts specify map sizes.
    I attempted to make my own versions of these maps by simply inserting the new map sizes...however this DID NOT work!

The following map types should work without a problem:
    Archipelago, Balanced, Continents, Custom Continents, Islands.

17. Fenryial

Fenryial Chieftain

You have to change each file for the map type. Im not at home. But they are the files with the name of the map type with the extension of py. Use Python to edit them. I have done this with a few and made some very large maps that are of course random and do work. Put the new edited files in your custom directory. But its easy to read and see the map sizes in the file. For instance Pangea (huge) is default 26,16 so I made it 48,30 and the map was much larger.

Fenryial

18. FexFX

FexFX Prince

I tried that...sorta...you say Use Python to edit...
    Notepad isn't good enough?

Also It just plain refused to load my versions of the maps...
    THO...I didn't try replacing the orginal files...
    My Renamed files or just copied files did not load, and gave an error.

19. dlordmagic

dlordmagic Warlord

Made changes to the terra file added my map options to it in two places. One to specify the cells.:

def getGridSize(argsList):
    "Enlarge the grids! According to Soren, Earth-type maps are usually huge anyway."
    grid_sizes = {
    WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_DUEL: (13,8),
    WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_TINY: (16,10),
    WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_SMALL: (21,13),
    WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_STANDARD: (26,16),
    WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_LARGE: (32,20),
    WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_HUGE: (38,24),
    WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_XHUGE: (40,25),
    WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_GIANT: (48,30)

The second:

# The following grain matrix is specific to Terra.py
    sizekey = self.map.getWorldSize()
    sizevalues = {
    WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_DUEL: (3,2,1,2),
    WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_TINY: (3,2,1,2),
    WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_SMALL: (4,2,1,2),
    WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_STANDARD:(4,2,1,2),
    WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_LARGE: (4,2,1,2),
    WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_HUGE: (5,2,1,2),
    WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_XHUGE: (5,2,1,2),
    WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_GIANT: (5,2,1,2),
    }

Got it to load on Xlarge looks just like the duel size world just much larger.
    Took about 30 minutes to load but I was also online at the same time.:cry:

20. FexFX

FexFX Prince

Did you modify the ORIGINAL files?
    Or rename the files and drop them in the same folder?

As I said I didn't replace the original files as that's a poor way to mod in my oppinion.

I found the same numbers you did, and made the same modifications, but it would not let me use them...

I figure that if I modified the originals that it would work...but I dont like that solution.