1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Girls Basketball Team Wins Game 100-0, Coach Fired

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bigfoot3814, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

From the NY Daily News
    I heard about this on the radio. I'm one for giving 100% at all times, but to lay that much into a team of only 8 kids with short attention spans when you're already ahead by 50 points is far too much. I think the coach probably should've shown at least a little restraint on that one. What do you guys think?

In b4 fundamentalists rofl

2. Mowque

Mowque Hypermodernist

(Again?!)

OP- On reading that the kids had learning issues AND were undermanned...yeah, 100 points in overkill. No need to win by that much...

3. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Good thing it wasn't Bobby Knight.

Seriously, what sort of girls' HS basketball coach would think this was a good idea?

4. CCRunner

CCRunner Deity

The coach shouldn't have been fired, but a reprimand is definitely in order. He should have cut off the scoring at like 50 to zero.

5. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

http://www.covenantdallas.com/podium/default.aspx?t=32145

6. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

It is where I get most of my news besides here.
    In some youth sports leagues they have some kind of "mercy rule" that limits scoring or forces a forfeit if you're winning by too much.

@Formaldehyde is that the actual apology? Thanks.

7. Annex

Annex Tyranny and Mutation

The coach does deserve blame, but about the officiating? Arent there referees there to enforce some sort of mercy rule?

8. truckingpete

truckingpete On a Stark Trek

I too get my news mostly from the radio. I read it out loud so thats how I get my news.

I think it's stupid for a team to put up 100 points considering they were state contenders last year, and most likely again this year...I can see why they fired the coach...it shows the school that they dont care about winning...they care about their image or something like that...

9. RoboPig

RoboPig Deity

He must be a Democrat.

10. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

Well, they ain't public, so I guess they've gotta worry about their tuition checks.
    Badump tssshhh!

11. jeps

jeps Arcadefire

I agree with this move, running up the score by THAT much is disgusting.

12. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

Hard to give an opinion without know more details.

If he had his starters & best players in the whole game (which I'd guess he probably did), yeah he's an ass and the firing is justified for display what is, IMO, the lowest of the low in poor sportsmanship.

OTOH if he was playing his bench by the time the lead got massive, and the other team was just that bad (which it sounds like they could possibly have been), well, I don't really know what could have been done. I'm don't know offhand of any rules that allow a game to be called early if one team has a massive lead, and even if there were I think if I was playing that it would be more embaressing to have them shut the game down and say "you just suck too much" than stay in and actually try, even if you take a beating like that.

It really sounds like the Dallas school needs to be in a different division or something, where they actually have a tiny chance to compete.

13. Left

Left Real Game Out Here

He didn't get fired for letting the team win by 100, he got fired for disagreeing with the apology.

14. general_kill

general_kill Deity

I see they run a Bush like administration over there.

15. Irish Caesar

Irish Caesar Yellow Jacket

I can't blame him, it was a ridiculous apology. Dallas Academy "clearly emerged the winner"? That's laying it on pretty thick.

16. Shadylookin

Shadylookin master debater

perhaps I'm a little confused. Back when I used to watch/play basketball the point of the game was to get as many points as you could to win the game did they change the rules or something?

17. Irish Caesar

Irish Caesar Yellow Jacket

It's high school.

Sportsmanship is part of the game, too.

18. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I have to agree with this. Why on earth should the coach have been fired? Maybe he showed poor judgment, but that's not sufficient to get somebody fired over a game. As long as the rules were followed and nobody got physically hurt (I'm not familiar with basketball; do fights tend to break out as they do in hockey?), what is the problem?

If the issue was that the team was playing a group of students with developmental disabilities, there should have been an agreed-on set of modified rules that would have given the disabled students more of a chance. Or -- and this is a stretch -- just DON'T KEEP SCORE! Make it "for fun" -- like it's supposed to be.

19. CaptainF

CaptainF The Professional Poster

The coach shouldn't have been fired for winning the game. If the other team sucks...too bad.

20. Soil

Soil ねねね

I don't think anything could've lessened their embarrassment really... I would be embarrassed to have a game called off due to being too bad.

Having a team go easy and holding back on you would be just as humiliating.

It's up to the Ref to call quits in game, not the coach.