Girls Basketball Team Wins Game 100-0, Coach Fired

It's high school.

Sportsmanship is part of the game, too.

sportsmanship isn't the same thing as patronizing the other team. It's not cheating, not flagrantly fouling, not trash talking, and shaking the other team's player's hands at the end of the game.

at the high school level you should be able to handle the emotional trauma of losing a basketball game(even by a huge margin). I would much rather a team play their best and beat me by a lot than to put on the kid gloves and condescend me because they think I'm ******ed.

How about some ******ed partisan hackery? Let me begin:

That occurence CLEARLY shows how our DEGRADATING society HATES sucess, and allows LAZY people, LEECHS, and MOOCHERS to thrive, while keeping the SUCESSFUL people down. That's the kind of "change" BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA brings to America, and that's what will KILL it.
:mad:

This is moronic; a team should and will play at full strength, and if the other team wants to score points then they will have to practice their asses off. I don't understand why people don't realize that nothing good can come from letting them win, or even "easing up on them a bit."

Dallas Academy, a school that specializes in teaching students with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia, has only eight players on its varsity squad and is winless over the last four seasons.

Coach definately should be sacked - playing aggresive defense against such an opponent in the 4th quarter and a huge leads lacks any kind of sportsmanship. Of course it should be 'play to win', but remember to let the weak 'play' aswell.

When I was coaching a football team of 6-7 year olds, I had coaches who yelled at their kids for not playing any tactical fouls even after they had clearly beaten us. Ended up giving up my coaching career ater a year because I'd let all my boys play and thus never won a match.

Of course it should be 'play to win', but remember to let the weak 'play' aswell.

So if I'm winning a game of chess and have a more-then-decisive material anvantage, the only "sportsmanship" course of action for me is to give some of these pieces away?

Believe it or not, I've actually witnessed a similar game where my high school girls' team won another school's team by similar margin (104:0, if I'm not mistaken). :crazyeye: This was "normal" school though.
Not that huge event, maybe two dozen of people was watching these kinds of playoffs anyway.:D

This is the usual PC smushyness. Those disabled kids shouldn't be in the same league as able bodied kids. It is unfair on BOTH teams. The disparagy in skills means the game is probably pointless and of little enjoyment for either team.

So if I'm winning a game of chess and have a more-then-decisive material anvantage, the only "sportsmanship" course of action for me is to give some of these pieces away?

The sportmanship course of action is to play for a quick mate and not to muck around and get 7 promoted pawns.

The sportmanship course of action is to play for a quick mate and not to muck around and get 7 promoted pawns.

If your opponent doesn't resign the game when you have the decisive advantage, it's up to you what to do with him.

If your opponent doesn't resign the game when you have the decisive advantage, it's up to you what to do with him.

So the disabled teams coach should be sacked instead?

Of course it's up to you - we were talking about sportmanship though. And if he enlongs the game to spite you, you're free aswell of course.

But isn't that all quite a bit of bad pr by the winning high school team? I mean if it embarrases you that much, just let it go quietly. After all, it's not that big of a deal, such things happen regularly (well ok, not by that magnitude, but in sports it needs to be a bit bigger, farther, longer, higher every time).

Dallas Academy, a school that specializes in teaching students with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia, has only eight players on its varsity squad and is winless over the last four seasons.

Oh those poor athletes and their dyslexia and short attention spans. Sounds like professional athletes as a whole.

Coach did what coaches do but what dumbass league manager decided to place these teams against each other? Fire him.

Of course it's up to you - we were talking about sportmanship though. And if he enlongs the game to spite you, you're free aswell of course.

Chess is bad analogy anyway - there's no "points" in chess. And in basketball, AFAIK, there's no analog to "playing to a quick mate".

Like has been said already, its only unsportsmanlike if they taunt or make fun of the other team, or cheat. As long as they play by the rules and treat the other team with respect, the scoreline should be irrelevant.

No apology needed.

Top Bottom