Girls Basketball Team Wins Game 100-0, Coach Fired

This is the usual PC smushyness. Those disabled kids shouldn't be in the same league as able bodied kids. It is unfair on BOTH teams. The disparagy in skills means the game is probably pointless and of little enjoyment for either team.

Exactly. The team hasn't won in over four seasons; no wonder they have trouble fielding a full strength squad. They should be moved to a league in which they can actually compete.

But its blatantly taking the piss when the score is that high.

Hard to give an opinion without know more details.

If he had his starters & best players in the whole game (which I'd guess he probably did), yeah he's an ass and the firing is justified for display what is, IMO, the lowest of the low in poor sportsmanship.

OTOH if he was playing his bench by the time the lead got massive, and the other team was just that bad (which it sounds like they could possibly have been), well, I don't really know what could have been done. I'm don't know offhand of any rules that allow a game to be called early if one team has a massive lead, and even if there were I think if I was playing that it would be more embaressing to have them shut the game down and say "you just suck too much" than stay in and actually try, even if you take a beating like that.

It really sounds like the Dallas school needs to be in a different division or something, where they actually have a tiny chance to compete.

I think what I would have done would be to play my bench from the very start. High schools do some basic level of scouting opponents, right? The coach would have known going into it that this opponent didn't have a chance in hell. Explain to my team that, giving that there's no issue of winning or losing here, that we're treating it as a scrimmage - and the first player that plays head games with the other team gets suspended for the next game.

100-0, and scoffing at an apology? Yeah, I'd fire him - he's not teaching his players about sportsmanship.

I don't agree with the school apologizing... for what? for being the better side? Sure, they were playing against a clearly inferior opponent, but it's not their fault that the idiots running the league haven't noticed that this other school clearly doesn't belong in that division.

Exactly. The team hasn't won in over four seasons; no wonder they have trouble fielding a full strength squad. They should be moved to a league in which they can actually compete.

Till, they have trouble fielding a full strength squad because they have only twenty eligible students.

A very interesting article, and for those of you that can't be arsed to read it, a quick excerpt:

article said:
They are really good," Civello [Dallas Academy's coach] said. "Their point guard is terrific. This is what it came down to in the second half: steal at half court and layup. Steal and layup. Steal and layup. It was a layup drill. They finally eased up when they got to 100 with about four minutes left." Covenant's point guard had 48 points.

And for those of you that appreciate karma (from the same article):

His [Civello's] school's boys team remains in the six-team TAPPS district. In fact, he was quick to point out that his boys, with a little extra motivation, beat Covenant, 50-38, immediately after the 100-0 girls game.

If this team is so crap why haven't they been relegated? They shouldn't have to apologise because they won

I think what I would have done would be to play my bench from the very start. High schools do some basic level of scouting opponents, right? The coach would have known going into it that this opponent didn't have a chance in hell. Explain to my team that, giving that there's no issue of winning or losing here, that we're treating it as a scrimmage - and the first player that plays head games with the other team gets suspended for the next game.

100-0, and scoffing at an apology? Yeah, I'd fire him - he's not teaching his players about sportsmanship.
exactly...this isn't a pro league...IMHO a coach shouldn't just teach these kids how to play basketball. Stuff like sportsmanship is at least as important, IMHO.

If this team is so crap why haven't they been relegated?
I don't think it works like that in the US, if their pro teams are anything to go by.

If you arrange a match and turn up with too few players, it's your own fault if you get beaten.
If your team suffers from relevant learning disabilities (and I'm not sure that ADD really counts, since American sports seem designed for it) and you're short of numbers, the sportsmanlike thing to do is cancel or concede.
If you don't, then the other team will walk over you. They can do it with grace, aplomb, courtesy and still walk over you: honour is not solely about the better side not being better after all. It's about the worse side admitting that their opponents outclass them too.
If we're criticising honour, why did this Dallas team expect to have a decent game? If it's part of the league, they should play as such. If it's a charity match against disabled children, then it should be arranged as such.

When I played rugby at school we frequently got beaten by two schools that weremuch larger and whose boarders played rubgy every day. When we lost 110 (or so) to 5 no-one thought it dishonourable. It's their job to score, and they did it well. That's honourable.
What sort of twisted mind do you have to have to criticise a team who turned up to play a challenging match for playing their match but not criticise the team who misled them? Is it really honourable to give up half-way through with a patronising smile and say 'you're not worth the effort'?

The offending team were no doubt thrust into an awkward situation that they should never have had to deal with. It was their coaches job to help them work their way through it, and he clearly failed miserably. You can't expect kids to navigate minefields like this, but this kind of thing is exactly what an educator should be helping them to deal with. The coach stuck to what he knew, and he made the kids look like heartless monsters.
I have a rather minor role in one of my school's sports teams, and I would never allow this to happen to my kids. If I did I wouldn't be doing my job.

There is no mercy rule in this league, so let's throw that out of the equation.

Now, the coach had his team firing 3 pointers and looking for baskets. His assistants were pumping their fists and going wild as the team put more and more points on the board. It's not like the score was in doubt; it was 58-0 at halftime. The school that put on 100 points did the right thing by apologizing publicly. It set its own rules that the coach, who represented the school to the world, would have to apologize as well; he failed to do so and was thus fired. That is why I agree with this decision. If you are not going to live by the rules of the school you are coaching at, you should find a new job.

Till, they have trouble fielding a full strength squad because they have only twenty eligible students.

A very interesting article, and for those of you that can't be arsed to read it, a quick excerpt:

:blush: But that makes it even more puzzling that they have to play in the same league as "regular" high school teams. They are doubly handicapped and clearly out of their depth in the league, as their record shows. Unless there is no suitable division available for them to play in, it's quite cruel to pit them against teams which hold every advantage over them. That the constant defeats haven't demoralized the girls yet, speaks for their coach.

That aside, the coach of the other team clearly was a dick and deserved to be sacked.

Like has been said already, its only unsportsmanlike if they taunt or make fun of the other team, or cheat. As long as they play by the rules and treat the other team with respect, the scoreline should be irrelevant.

No apology needed.

Totally agree. The mental condition of the players that lose should be irrelevant too. The game is the game.

:blush: But that makes it even more puzzling that they have to play in the same league as "regular" high school teams. They are doubly handicapped and clearly out of their depth in the league, as their record shows. Unless there is no suitable division available for them to play in, it's quite cruel to pit them against teams which hold every advantage over them. That the constant defeats haven't demoralized the girls yet, speaks for their coach.

That aside, the coach of the other team clearly was a dick and deserved to be sacked.

I gather (from the articles) that there is no suitable division - it's not like they're playing collegiate Div 1A basketball when there's a Division 1AAA available, it's either play in that local league, or play intramural (and with only eight players, they can't really even field two intramural teams, and playing against the boys team brings us back to our starting point). But that's a guess on my part.

But in that vein, also from that second article:

The Bulldogs play, Civello said, for more than the final score. They play in hope of improving skills, learning teamwork and picking up whatever life lessons athletics may bring.

But they won't be playing Covenant again this season; they canceled their Jan. 30 game against the team. After the game, Dallas Academy informed the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools that it was withdrawing its girls team from the league for the rest of the season.

"We just said, 'The hell with it,' " said Jim Richardson, Dallas Academy's headmaster.

His [Civello's] school's boys team remains in the six-team TAPPS district. In fact, he was quick to point out that his boys, with a little extra motivation, beat Covenant, 50-38, immediately after the 100-0 girls game.
HAH! :lol: There's the silver lining.

Okay, there is some misinformation in this thread. Lemme try to clear some of it up.

. They're both very very small private schools in Dallas, so the number of schools they can play against is rather limited (without having to take on a huge expensive to travel far outside of Dallas). Thats why you have this talent mismatch...a competitive basketball program against a school of developmentally challenged kids. It happens for smaller private schools all over the country...I've covered basketball games like this.

In high school basketball, the typical sportsmanship rule is "don't full court press when you're up by 20". There is nothing wrong with continuing to run your offense, or playing hard when you have a big lead...but what you're SUPPOSED to do is put in your subs, switch to a half-court set, and use up a lot of the shot clock before you shoot. These guys were still pressing and jacking up threes until the end of the game. Thats low. It would be like a football team going for a fake punt when you're up by 60.

The administrator of the school that won 100-0 publicly apologized. It is a Christian school after all. The douche-hat of a coach then publicly DISAGREED with the administration policy, saying that they did nothing wrong. THATS why he was fired, and honestly, he should be for that.

for the basketball ignorant: what's a full court press?

for the basketball ignorant: what's a full court press?

Typically, a team brings the ball up the half court before the other team begins to apply defensive pressure. A full court press is when the defending team sends 1-3 players to defend the pass as soon as its imbounded. When you have an athletic advantage, or need to score a lot of points in a hurry, you can force turnovers after a few seconds, and get easy layups.

Athletic teams can break the press with long passes, but if you do it do a team thats really overmatched, it can get ugly in a hurry. When you're winning by more than 20, its super unsportsmanlike.

People, people, we are all losing sight of the bigger picture - American sports are stupid and pointless. So none of this matters.

Top Bottom