Give me 18, but not on Earth
Welcome to the game tracking and role playing thread for this new 2012 PBEM game!
Please use this thread to discuss strategy, track the status of the game, and of course any in-game roleplaying and story-telling is welcome!
Players: 18 Humans
Skill Level: Varied
Map: Huge Techtonics, Earth-like, 60% water
No Tech Trading
Cities can convert peacefully back to their owner
New Random Seed on Reload - NO
Huts - YES
Random Events - YES
Espionage - YES
Barbs - YES, but normal levels
Victory Conditions - all except Time
Ancient Era start
Advanced Start - 500 points
These are the settings I believe is Civ 4: BTS as its meant to be played in a mass multiplayer game. This game is meant to be for FUN - so yes starts may not all be equal and random events will throw a curveball into the game. It's not meant to be a test where everyone has the same everything and whoever wins is the guaranteed best. Rather its more of a realistic alternate-world type of atmosphere, where you may get screwed and you will need to use your leadership skills to survive and find a way to win among the many available options.
Along those lines, there is a bit of a role-play optional side to this. There is definitely no requirement or scoring or anything related to "staying in character" during the game, however it is encouraged on this thread and in-game once the game gets started. I find that makes for a more fun game and keeps plotlines developing, rather than have lifelong allies turn on each other in 1850 simply because one got rifling before the other and wants to take advantage. Of course that may well happen, however if we get the committed type of players I am hoping for, there may be a bit of an international backlash...
I will also be playing the role of game narrator, posting anything from international news stories to stories of your citizens. Even if you have no interest in role-playing yourself, check this thread often for updates of the goings on in the world, you might gain some valuable in-game information!
As for the level of play in this game - We have a variety of players that can beat Civ IV anywhere from Noble to Immortal. Be prepared. Anything can happen, including the lower Noble level players ganging up on an Immortal superpower. International diplomacy is only limited by your imagination (and no tech trading! )
Now some logistics and warnings:
1) THIS IS A VERY LARGE AND TIME CONSUMING GAME. Based on some research and questioning on this site, I fully expect this game could take 3-4 years+ to finish to its final completion. Commitment is KEY. Vacations are fine and expected, however all players are expected to commit to keep the game rolling to the best of their ability. If you think there is a chance you will give up on the game simply because the early turns are "boring" and it takes 2 days for you to get your next turn - please leave, this isnt the game for you.
2) Replacements: Assuming there will be at least one person who reads the disclaimer and still drops after 2 turns anyway, we will do our best to replace quitters with other human players on the replacement list, through this forum, or any other means necessary. However for the sake of keeping the game moving, if we go too long without finding anyone, we will simply have the AI at Noble level replace the player who left and deal with whatever consequences and plan of action in-game.
3) Timing: Again, with the goal of keeping it moving, please do your best to take your turn and pass on to the next player as soon as physically possible. It doesn't take long to do a turn and will keep it going if turns are done as soon as possible! We are currently set up on a 3 day rotation, 6 players a day, so your turn should come around every 3 days - don't mess up the schedule or it will cause delays for everyone!
4) Tracking: This game is currently up on www.PBEMtracker.com under the name "Give me 18, but not on Earth". Everyone is currently signed up to the website, and use of the website is mandatory. Once the game is launched, check out the settings and if possible, set up an alert to remind you when your turn is ready to play. Turns are loaded onto the website server and the status is tracked for us.
I will also be acting as "turn police" to make sure it keeps moving. I am not afraid to contact you by all outlets and means necessary!
1) Nighthawk419 - Sitting Bull of the Native Americans - aka Night Hawk, War-Vassal of Sinimusta
3) Bathsheba666 - Huyana Capac of Inca - aka ZootHornRollo
4) D!CK VII - Charlemagne of Holy Rome - aka King Dick VII (REPLACED by Imp Knoedel, Peace-Vassal of Ruff Hi)
6) Majic - Mansa Musa of Mali - aka Majic (REPLACED by Nighthawk, War-Vassal of ZootHornRollo)
8) Eclipse4449 - Shaka of Zulu - aka Eclipse
10) Ruff_hi - Zara Yaqob of Ethiopia - aka Ruffster John
13) chasbolt - Darius of Persia - aka Chasbolt (REPLACED by Tigranes)
16) Calanthian - Wang Kon of Korea - aka Dangun Wanggeom
17) Tudaio - Montezuma of Aztec - aka Tudaio (REPLACED by Sinimusta)