Give the AI free bomb shelters?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by GlobularFoody, Jul 9, 2012.

1. GlobularFoody

GlobularFoody Warlord

I don't know about anyone else, but my fallback strategy if I might lose a game is to nuke the AI Civs into ash. It always works, they never seem build bomb shelters in time to prevent it. Maybe on Emperor and higher give the AI civs free bomb shelters when they hit the modern era? Would make the game a lot more interesting for me, at least.

2. nefloyd

nefloyd King

Population loss is irrelevant; if anything, this would be a BUFF to the attacker. Why? Because you've destroyed their entire defenses and your positioned units just zoom right in and capture the city. Only now you've captured a city that has higher population - bonus for you, not for him.

Bomb shelter is just pointless imo. Should've been SDI or something that reduces the area of effect / damage to units.

3. TPQ

TPQ Cogito Ergo Civ

I don't think it would make a lot of difference. It'd take longer to nuke a city off the map with nuclear missiles, but really, by the late game happiness is abundant and you can nuke a city once or twice and then just capture it with a fast moving unit and then repeat this with minimal land units until a an AI civ is gone.

Everything is cheaper for the AIs anyway, so it's probably best to make AIs favour building bomb shelter more than they currently do, rather than giving the bomb shelters for free, but as I said, either way it wont make a huge difference, unless your is to nuke a city off the map and there are other ways of eliminating it.

Agreed. I'd of really liked to see an SDI national wonder, or some kind of SDI-eske building.

4. GlobularFoody

GlobularFoody Warlord

You guys don't understand, I don't capture anything....I just destroy every city the AI has except for the capital, of course. This eliminates any threat of them winning in any way,

I've played a lot of games where I lose focus after conquering my continent and the AI takes a tech or diplomatic lead on the other continent and has a massive army that would be very tedious to invade. Since having a lot of gold is common in the late game, and I almost always do Liberty/Commerce/Autocracy and have Big Ben, I can buy lots of missiles to destroy completely any Civ that might win.

I just think that at the higher levels, the AI should get the Bomb Shelter for free, to actually make it harder.

5. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

Eh, they do, they just don't prioritize it when nukes aren't falling.

Once A-Bomb Andy starts rolling, you'll see them build fast enough. On Immortal, a ways faster.

6. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

Then I should get them for free as well, because I usually don't build them either, unless a nearby AI becomes cranky and has finished Manhattan (and yeah, or if I am close to Gandhi). In those cases I build them/buy them ASAP.

7. Aurelius321

Aurelius321 Warlord

IIRC, in previous games using nukes would give a pretty harsh penalty to your score at the end of the game as a deterrent for just blanketly bombing everyone. Can anyone confirm this? There also used to be global warming when you used them, but I don't know if global warming is an effect in this game.

For me, I've done it once or twice, but it's not something I fall back on regularly as I feel that overuse of them leads to a hallow victory. Plus, if the AI were doing it to us, we would be a mob with pitchforks :)

8. Peacemongerer

Peacemongerer Prince

No score penalty from what I can tell... there's no category for it. It's just a diplo penalty.

9. VikingHaag

VikingHaag Chieftain

Nope.
    I want to retain my ability to nuke alexander back to turn 1 ASAP. If i see him ingame i'll go out of my way to wipe him off the map and leave him only with a 1 pop capital. Perhaps i'll pull off the goood old shenanigan of making him a one hex empire with GG's.

10. nefloyd

nefloyd King

How does this make anything harder? That you take extra turns razing the city? Even so, that's just YOU. It would still be a buff to ME because I get to puppet a city that has higher population. With a few nukes I can destroy his entire defense force and just walk in with one or two units, then send in the legion of workers to scrub and repair everything. Saving population points is completely irrelevant to that, and won't do anything to the AI, because its the ruined city and obliterated army that ruin its chances.

Unless you're talking about the nuke simply flat-out removing the city altogether (something I've never seen). I've never had so much gold + uranium supply that I could just throw out a dozen nukes then buy a dozen more and repeat next turn. Is it really so hard to just send out a couple ships or units into now-undefended land and cap 'em?

But yea, I've never had nuking occur in something I wasn't winning anyway; usually there is nobody else I give a #$%# about and I'm just throwing out the nukes to save some turns of my two dozen bombers massacring everything.

Nukes oughta be part of diplomacy (Threaten) for both sides, and everyone but concurrent war allies should immediately denounce you for using 'em. Bomb shelters just don't really do anything but save population to give to the attacker who cleans up. Would've rather had SDI that provides a 3-hex radius 'blanket' that either prevents nukes from targeting those hexes or reduces damage done there (like, units can only be reduced to half health), would make nukes more of a strategic choice than "#$#@ you, your army is wiped out instantly and I claim all your border towns next turn"