GL and AI tech slowing

Smythen

Chieftain
I dont know if this belongs here or in the bug report forum, but here goes:

Since C3C I have played 5 games (Regent to Monarch, Portugal or Maya, continents), and I have noticed that in the games in which I have been able to build the GL (2 games), the AI seems to dramatically slow down in research to the point where I get a ridiculous lead in tech that lasts throughout the game. I have been able to get THROUGH the industrial age while the AI civs are still in the MA (one of these games was on Monarch and my tech lead, although still broken, was not quite so impressive). In the games where I do not get the GL, the AI seems to pace me fairly well. I also pop fewer techs (1-2) from the GL (naturally, as the AI has slowed). In PTW this didnt happen. Has anyone else noticed this?

Smythen

That probably has a lot to do the addition of Feudalism and the changes to Republic. No trade bonus in the former and additional support costs in the latter will have the AI spending less on science.

Thanx for responding, Mathias --

But the games in which I do not have the GL, they pace me with tech just like they did in PTW -- but when I do have GL, I am an AGE and a HALF ahead! Thats not just a govt difference, as that situation would apply whether or not the Library was mine.

Smythen

Hmm... I'm not sure exactly what is happening, but I can say that if you find yourself an age and a half ahead, then you should bump up the difficulty level a bit :)

Another thought: If you build the GL before any AI has Lit, they might not be studying Lit as early, and thus have no libraries to help them keep up.

I found out the Literature thing even though I hadn't built the GL. Since it is not necessary to advance to the next tech era, it isn't a government type, and the Wonder has already been built, the AIs don't bother researching it. The Germans built the GL, and then much later on I was the first to contact the Celts, and the two techs I could trade to them were Navigation and Literature.

So if you are the first to literature, often the AIs will never get libraries at all??!! That is a ridiculous advantage to the human player and sounds like a bug that needs fixin'!!!!

Smythen

In fact, in both of these games which I have built the GL, the AI is disproportionately behind in tech -- at the end of the 1900s, they are stillin late middle ages or very early industrial. This never happened during my games in C3 or PTW.

Smythen

Top Bottom