1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Glad I Didn't Buy The Digital Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by kamex, Dec 21, 2016.

1. smartcanuck1988

smartcanuck1988 Warlord

There must be a more expensive DLC incoming because the Deluxe version was going for $25 more on (Canadian) steam and each DLC is going for $5.5. It would mean the Deluxe people lost money (-$3) if the next two DLCs are the same price.

I'm glad too I didn't get it. Frankly I was torn until I saw the last few dev streams before the game was out and thought that the game had some issues that no DLC will make it replayable for a while, by then it'll be on a decent sale (I think it was the AI battle they streamed that made me think this way).

Firaxis are free to package and price their content however they wish and same for us I'm sure different people are valuing the content differently. For me though, new civs is all I care about as they are the biggest game-changing feature in my opinion. So when the Deluxe version was going for ~30% more than the standard version, I would expect to see ~5 new civilizations in the first four DLCs. That means each DLC should at minimum introduce 1 new civ, in my view, to make it worth the money to me. Otherwise it would have to include a really good amount of city states and maps/scenarios not just a few.

2. upi00r

upi00r Warlord

Maybe there will be a DLC with multi civs (more than one). I cannot see other option for more pricey DLC...

3. WildeComputers

WildeComputers Warlord Supporter

Don't forget about those who bought the Anniversary Edition at retail price. My assumption has been we'd get two that were like Civ V's Korea & WOTAW DLC pack. I always liked the scenario DLC, so I'm happy with these two but I do hope I get two bigger ones to round out all four. After all, these things get heavily discounted on Steam sales that really put pressure on why anyone would buy the Deluxe Edition (assuming they sell the soundtrack as a future DLC too).

4. darko82

darko82 Emperor

Scenarios are ok. I actually play them. They give you a different experience for a change. Different ways to play the game etc. I would like a WWI and WWII scenarios. Well, some ancient scenarios are also nice. Medieval... yeah... each age scenarios are pretty welcomed. For instance, if they make a big colonial scenario, we won't even need a Colonization game etc.

5. upi00r

upi00r Warlord

I wouldn't count on two bigger DLCs. If they released scenario pack as DLC for the same price as new civ DLC then you can expect the 2nd leader for Spain + scenario(s) as 3rd DLC...

altayrneto likes this.
  6. topresch

topresch Warlord

But you have now an entire CIV to brag about and play, while he still has to contend with a mere CS in Geneva!

I have to stay the laughing stock - Norway. Should have had a unique ability to save oil cash and invest for the happiness and health of the population rather.

upi00r likes this.
  7. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

Well, I think one knew there was some element of risk in getting the deluxe. Even so, as someone who played 2000+ hours of Civ 5 and expects to do the same with Civ 6, I don't mind throwing a little extra money at Firaxis.

I do, however, feel like a single civ for $5 is a bit much when the base game has 18 civs andd that alone would be $90. They should be cranking out more than one civ for that and/or including a map script or two (especially when you consider how few map scripts the game shipped with). I seriously doubt it takes that much effort for Firaxis themselves to throw together a Civ all things considered.

I too don't care about scenarios and never play them. Has a survey ever been done here to see how many actually play scenarios? I've never played one in any version of Civ and have never had any interest in them. Waste of dev time to me. More map scripts is good though.

Also nice to see another balance/bug/tweak patch so soon after the last one when Firaxis historically moves a bit slower with this kind of thing.

8. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

Well the Poland DLC does come with its own scenario which will hopefully be updated once the Ottomans officially are in the game.

The Viking scenario, while it does sound more interesting than most Civ scenarios to me, is only a scenario so I feel a bit miffed about that one. Even though it would have added to "eurocentricity" adding Cnut as an actual leader of Denmark for the main game as well would have been fun, although I don't know how much they would be able to distinguish him and Denmark from Norway then

9. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

People keep saying they paid $20 for 4 DLCs. But, don't forget, Deluxe Edition purchasers also got the Digital Music Download. While 4 * $4.99 = $19.96, it'll depend on the user as to whether or not they feel the DMD was worth more than $.04 and, thus, got a bargain by buying the DE.

10. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

Way to stick it to your most loyal fans, Firaxis.

These 2 DLCs, which are lacking in content individually, really could have been combined into a single pack, maybe for $7.

11. spfun

spfun King

I also regret it even with the discount I got as I've shelved the game until the AI has had some serious work put into it. Its worse than Civ 5 ever was which is shocking even with low expectations.

12. kingchris20

kingchris20 Wisdom Seeker

Resident of Heaven; Currently in the Waiting Room
    I paid just under $60 after tax for the deluxe edition, so I'm definitely not complaining

13. Synth

Synth Warlord

Damn, I was ripped off. Just checked the price difference between the regular and the deluxe version and I paid 60 bucks more. The DLCs are at 10 bucks each and one of them is a scenario I wouldn't have bought. Serves me right.

14. bladex

bladex Emperor

but...but new city states and wonders!

yeah...no one wants that :p

15. TraderInvader

TraderInvader Chieftain

The answer to this problem is next time don't purchase a deluxe version of the game. Don't pay a company for content they have already created(or haven't)and just take out of the game to repackage and sell individually, and don't pay for them to waste time creating scenario packs and topping it with city states and wonders which don't make any difference when there is so much to be desired in other areas of the game.

I'm all for expansions but dlc is ruining the way these companies prioritize fixing their game all for the sake of appealing to those who paid them to prioritize dlc first, game fixes second.

It's your money, you earned it so spend it how you please but just know this is what happens. Instead of a game fixing patch we get dlc and this will continue so long as this model is profitable.

Sure, I'll buy all the dlc they release......in 4 years.....for 10 dollars.

16. kamex

kamex Emperor

I would like to see such a poll also. I can't help but see them as cheap "content" they can spit out...

17. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

You actually DO realize that it was always more or less like that in the last iterations of the series, right? AFAIR it was always 1-2 lousy DLCs, 1 mediocre one and 1 good one they sold for a higher price? I'm pretty sure we'll end up midly above the average price with Digit.Deluxe - maybe getting content sold for 30 bucks total (first price)... :cooool:

As stated I only bought DD because I got a good deal - DD for the price of the regular game so I'm fine anyways...

P.S.: @kamex Why don't you set up a poll than? Personally I couldn't care less about szenarios...:nope:

18. orasis

orasis Prince Supporter

Four dollars is ... the cost of two coffees...

VicRatlhead5199 likes this.
  19. whyidie

whyidie Emperor

I wish they would let you pre-order the "Complete" edition. After waiting for G&K before buying V, went ahead and pre-ordered the deluxe addition this time round. Hate having to wade through all the variations. Nice knowing I'll get whatever they produce.

20. Soduka

Soduka Warlord

I think it's pretty scummy they have clearly Polish units in the intro and promotional videos but they weren't actually in the base game.