[C3C] Glitches under Win10

JimTheGeek

Chieftain
Couple of issues: Only Auto Saves are available. If I Save Game in the middle of a turn, it reverts back to last Auto Save which may be 1 or 2 turns in the past. I've worked around this by retiring at the beginning of a turn, then reloading at the last Auto Save.

At end of game, the game freezes up at the Bell Ringer screen. I usually like to play on after Win, but am not able to now.

Any thoughts or help with these? I'm an old guy who likes the simplicity of Civ III. I tried the later versions, but they are too complicated for my enjoyment.

At end of game, the game freezes up at the Bell Ringer screen. I usually like to play on after Win, but am not able to now.
I've found that trying to move through the victory-screen parade by clicking on the 'X' in the lower-right corner, quite often crashes Civ3 on my (Win8.1) machine. Now I tend to use the Enter-key to move through the screens instead, and this seems to be more stable/reliable. I have no idea why this should be the case.

Can't help with the Saves-problem at all, though, sorry.

I've found that trying to move through the victory-screen parade by clicking on the 'X' in the lower-right corner, quite often crashes Civ3 on my (Win8.1) machine. Now I tend to use the Enter-key to move through the screens instead, and this seems to be more stable/reliable. I have no idea why this should be the case.

Can't help with the Saves-problem at all, though, sorry.

Thanks. I'll try that.

Did you install from CDs? If so, install to a non-default location outside of program files, like c:\civ3.

If you want to go looking for saves first, you might want to try an old tool I made https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ3-file-explorer.509773/ . I haven't messed with it in years and haven't tried it on Win10.

Basically if you install the CD to the default location in Win7 or later, your save (and settings) files may be put into a "VirtualStore" folder which causes all sorts of confusion like being unable to find your saves where you expect them.

Top Bottom