Glitchy Graphics

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by Ozeback, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Ozeback

Ozeback Chieftain

I've seen various other graphics issues on the forum, but I haven't seen anyone post this issue. I've played the game all the way through ~3 times before this issue occurred. I'm attaching the screenshots of what happens. After playing ~45 minutes, this starts to occur. Jumping to other areas of the map sometimes clears it up. Alt-tabbing out will also usually clear it up for a few minutes. If someone has any solutions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Patched to v1.61 as well.

Here are my system specs:
    Dell E1705
    Intel T2500 (2.0 GHz Duo)
    1GB RAM
    256 MB Geforce Go 7800

Thanks much!

Attached Files:

2. ggganz

ggganz a.k.a. The Scyphozoa

New patch should be availible on 7/12. If problem is not fixed, contact Firaxis

3. Ozeback

Ozeback Chieftain

I appreciate the quick reply. I'll wait for the patch.:)

4. Velvet-Glove

Velvet-Glove Prince

This is the first I've heard of a forthcoming patch, can I ask where you heard about this?

5. rpgundark

rpgundark Chieftain

mebbey she's a Firaxis employee?? :shrug:

6. ggganz

I'm a guy. First and middle initials and last name.
    Anyway, it's not here yet, but they can be released anytime in the day. I got this info in the [civ4] Multiplayer Lobby. Not exactly a reliable source, but it couldn't hurt to check first thing tommorrow morning.

7. Ozeback

Ozeback Chieftain

Update for anyone who is curious: Strange graphic oddities began appearing elsewhere, other games, windows boot, screensavers, etc. I ran the PSA diagnostics on my Dell, and it encountered a plethora of video memory errors. Contacted Dell, and my laptop will be sent in for repairs...most likely video card replacement.

Looks like Civ saved me by stressing/breaking the card before the warranties are up ;)

Thanks again ggganz!

8. T_Raccoon

T_Raccoon Warlord

next time take my advice dont get a dell not even if your life depends on it.

9. Ozeback

Ozeback Chieftain

I wouldn't have gotten it, but it was short notice that I had to leave town for 10 months for work. It was the best deal under the circumstances. If it wasn't for this video card thingy, it's actually been decent. I'm actually still using it now. It's just any 3D rendering where it runs into issues.

What laptop brands would you recommend? Not one where I have to take out a 15 yr mortgage to pay for.

10. T_Raccoon

T_Raccoon Warlord

well a dell laptop is different. In fact dell laptops are some of the best but thats only because laptops are impossible to upgrade or make from scratch. You see when you order a computer from dell what they do is they give you a computer based on what you want it to do. heres the catch though, they modify most parts so that you CANT upgrade or is at least makes it impossible to upgrade and instead of just buying whatever new parts you want you'll have to buy a whole new computer. there customer support isnt that great either.

A friend i know tried to upgrade his dell with a better video card and found that his motherboard was modified by dell and he couldnt upgrade or something like im not sure. Case and point dell makes there computers so you cant upgrade by breaking, or modifying as they like to call it, there parts.

11. ggganz

What did I do?:confused:

12. Mongolia

Mongolia Khan

I've upgraded my Dell alot and have had know trouble at all.

13. Ozeback

Ozeback Chieftain

ggganz: It's just courtesy that you took some time to post a reply that I thought I'd say thanks.;)

14. ggganz