1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Global Achievement Numbers Interesting

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by KroninW, Sep 29, 2010.

1. KroninW

KroninW Chieftain

Anyone looked at the global achievement numbers on Steam?

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/CivV/achievements/

For all the hoopla about how easy the game is (I agree it is easier than previous versions by a wide margin) the stats are pretty neat to look at.

Beat the game on warlord: 5.8%

Beat the game on Prince: 4.1%

Beat the game on King: .7%

Beat the game on Emperor: .2%

Beat the game on Immortal: .1%

Beat the game on Diety: .1%

Now i realize some people are against steam and likely play in offline mode constantly, but for all the complaining you hear on this forum, it seems there are exponentially more people out there playing and enjoying the game on the easier difficulty levels.

Also, if you look at the % who have won on those levels, it isn't that high either (12-15%).

As much as we love our civ fanatics community (I've lurked here for 5 or 6 years), the majority of players have likely never visited it and are blissfully enjoying a game on the easier difficulties :)

I'm sure many players are like my wife, who loves to just keep starting over and playing the the first 250 turns over and over as they explore the different features of the game.

Personally, I havent tried above King yet, but I have won a cultural and domination vicotory on king (and a science on prince for my first game). I'm enjoying the game alot even though I can see the holes in AI. I get the one more turn feeling for many many hours each night after work.

I've got about 50 hours into the game according to steam (yes i play slow), and I havent been disappointed at all. I remember the AI was so easy to exploit in vanilla Civ IV as well, especially on the easier difficulty levels. Since it appears that even the vast majority of us on the forums are playing on Prince and lower (the < 1.5 % of the population who have beaten it higher than Prince shows that most of us have yet to beat it on king and up from a purely statistical standpoint, though if someone wants to actually do the math on that, please be my guest) I would say that the sky is definitely not falling at Firaxis HQ right now even though these forums would make you think it was.

Just thought it was interesting to look at, as after reading hte forums here you'd think the entire player base has won on immortal or diety and decided the game was cake.

2. Ayt

Ayt Warlord

How often do players actually finish a game? I know I rarely do.

Most good players quit if they know the game is well in hand, IMO.

3. Interslice

Interslice Chieftain

About to say this.

I think a lot of people here quit when they believe they have won.

4. Drago Askani

Drago Askani Warlord

Technically if you don't finish the game then you didn't win. ;p

5. Fistalis

Fistalis Prince

The more interesting statistics IMHO are these.

Moving on up. Earn a unit promotion. 89.7% really 10% have never earned a unit promotion?

Second city. Found a second city. 87.9% are u kidding me? 12% have never built a second city?

and last but not least

Exterminate exterminate. Win a domination victory . 17%

6. esnoeijs

esnoeijs Chieftain

I do find the statistics weird though, it looks like a good percentage of players apparently starts the game, walks his warrior to find a ruins, then decides the game is crap and stops playing or something.

Discover an ancient ruin. 91.8%
    Found a second city. 87.9%
    Completely defeat another Civ and remove them from the game. 50.7%

So roughly speaking, half of all the players who bought this game have yet to fully wipe out a AI. Now it's possible, because it is no longer a requirement to do this for domination victory. But still.

I'm also very happy to see that only 0.8% of the people who bought the game have done the bollywood achievement. Makes me feel special ^.^

7. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Yeah, mop-up is usually rather boring, especially in 4X games (in other games, like RTS, you can just point your army at something and watch them shred the remnants), since you have to do the mop-up by hand.

Cheers, LT.

8. Exterminas

Exterminas Warlord

I won my first game yesterday. Not because I suck a CiV, but because it was the first game I thougth worthwhile finishing. There is just no point in klicking next-turn a hundred times after you have eliminated any possible foe, bought every city-states friendship and are just wating for the UN to finally become available.

Or to kill off three underdeveloped nations, just to raze every single city of theirs.

9. KAuss

KAuss Warlord

Honestly I was decent at Civ IV, I can lead by a lot and end up messing up in the late game (too peaceful) to let the AI catch up and win...

In V, there is no need to play to the end... Once you find 4 cities and have your bowman out, you know you've won the game...

10. Zechnophobe

Zechnophobe Strategy Lich

Remember, these could also be people who installed but never played. That, and some of the achievements don't seem to be triggering all the time (victory based ones in particular).

11. Grotius

Grotius Prince

Granted, some people will abandon a game that they have well in hand. (Not me.) But the stats in the OP nonetheless indicate that most people are winning games at the lower difficulty levels. Almost ten times as many have reportedly won at Warlord as at King. Almost 30 times as many victories at Warlord as at Emperor. Almost 60 times as many victories at Warlord as at Deity.

Those Warlord folks apparently don't mind "mopping up". They don't seem to think they've won once they have four cities and a bowman. They play to the end and get the victory screen. Surely those folks aren't 60 times as likely to enjoy mopping up as people at higher difficulty levels. I doubt they are 60 times more likely to play with Steam in "online" mode. I think there are just many more of them.

Also, what percentage of Deity people never finish because they have the game "well in hand"? 50%? 90%? Even assuming it's 90%, which I doubt, that still means only a teeny percentage of the playerbase has either won or has had a game "well in hand" at Deity. I sure haven't.

Finally, I don't find it surprising that only 50% have conquered one AI. I didn't do so until my third game, because I'm a builder/culture/diplo kinda guy. I'm more surprised that some have never found ruins, but I assume a fair chunk of that is people who've hardly played at all. E.g., my wife sits down, decides it's too complicated for her, and goes back to her crossword puzzle.

12. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Be careful how you read these stats. Assuming they're accurate (which I don't know how we can possibly tell), remember they don't say anything about abandoned games / games in progress. Keep in mind also that civ5 seems to have a much slower pace than civ4 and that for many people they might be having trouble getting the game to even run at a satisfactory level. i.e. There are probably a very large proportion of people who for whatever reasons simply have not played through much of a game.

I'd also wager that the average gamer doesn't play at a difficulty where they lose a large proportion of the time. Most people simply don't find it fun to get beaten in half or more of their games, so a lot of people are probably starting off at a lower difficulty than where they should be realistically.

13. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Yeah, this too. Bear in mind that Civ5 is only out for a week and the average game will easily last a double digit number of hours.

The average gamer probably only plays 1-2 hours a day, so many might not have even finished their first game. Not everybody has enough free time to follow the urge of one-more-turn! ;)

Ack, vacation is over on Friday... I guess my playtime will go down, too...

Cheers, LT.

14. Fistalis

Fistalis Prince

Alot of people never liked the Higher difficulty = AI gets cheat mode design and liked a more even playing field as well.

15. Kronpas

Kronpas Chieftain

I usually start a new game when Im about to win, esp. if its domination and time victory. But Im sure Ill play till the end in a deity/immortal game just to feel good after the heavy beating in earlier eras of these games.

16. Taan

Taan Chieftain

they are not, never were. achivements work best in a valve game (meaning: source engine). other games/engines always have problems. some games (red orchestra/killing floor/ut 2.5engine) have several 0% achivements when in fact thousands of players already got the achivements. some achivements are just bugged and cannot be obtained because the trigger is bugged. sometimes it is just very very laggy (alien swarm). I wouldn't read anything into the numbers, they are not really reliable, unless you have a game with the source engine.

17. dannythefool

dannythefool King

While stats are always tricky, I don't think the majority of Civ players has ever won on deity or immortal. Because of that, I would expect far more than 0.1% to go for the achievement even if it means 100 turns of mopping up. I mean, almost 10% reported their settler wins.

18. spoooq

spoooq Warlord

I'd have added to the Emperor finishes by now if I could get through the game without CTD.

19. Nadrak

Nadrak Chieftain

Well....I'm part of those 10% and 12% too...and I just won diplomatic victory and even one multiplayer match...
    It seems these promotions are given in vanilla CiV ONLY...and I downloaded mod for Celtic civilization and real earth maps...so far I FINISHED 3 games, yet I'm without all of achievements...the only achievement I got is for winning multiplayer game (Last man standing)...so these dates are not accurate.

20. falconne

falconne meep

I think you could interpret the stats another way: many people started the game, played for a while, then gave up on it. I've certainly shelved it till either the rest of the SDK is released or an expansion comes out.

But yeah, the most likely cause is that very few people keep playing once they know they are going to win. Unless that last civ with any power left who's two eras behind you builds a Gandalf unit, you're not going to see much excitement.