1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Global damage modifiers

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Unreleased Mods' started by Omen, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Omen

Omen Chieftain

Not sure this is the right place to post this, but it looks like some of the other sub-forums are off limit to scrubs so here goes.

One of the most annoying things in my mind is the amount of damage done by combat. Im not sure how much, if anything, was changed, but in civ6 it certainly feels like units die quicker. Hence my question: Is it possible to modify all damage done by each unit globally by a percentage, say 50%?

Ive dug through a few articles for civ5, as reference, looked through dissertations on the mechanics of combat..etc, but no luck so far. If a global modifier is impossible would that mean that each unit would need individual modification in a LUA, by chance? I know mods like the civ5 RED wwii mod changed the way damage and healing worked and i wonder if each damage modifier was adjusted by hand or not. I much enjoyed the difficulty and strategy in destroying units as opposed to them just evaporating.

Any thoughts would be most helpful.

2. Bigv32

Bigv32 Chieftain

Is it possible? Yes. Is it the right thing to do right now before the game has been patched and expanded? Maybe not. Combat in Civ 6 is fundamently different than civ 5. There is no difference between a fight between units with strength 100 and 105 or 10 and 15. The difference is five. Flanking and other items such as terrain are much bigger now.

Units do not die easier in Civ 6 in my experience. It is simply the AI builds carpets of units. This combined with the new mechanics makes them die faster if you fight the exact same way you did in civ 5. Wars are slower now due to terrain movement changes.

3. Omen

Omen Chieftain

Well yeah, there are certainly changes and will probably be moar to come. Im not sure if the numbers are up yet, but i would like to see what bonuses the AI gets even in King ( which plays a good level higher IMO).

Also, I have been playing exclusively on a marathon time scale, as I prefer long ass games, which makes it a little rougher when ive got **** getting one-shot that took a decade to build. The other day i had a trireme get flanked by barb caravels (that were popping up way too early i thought..) sunk in two hits. Now i may be misremembering, but i thought even a unit one gen back should survive a few hits.

In any case, your probably right. I cant wait for some More Unit mods to start popping up to fill in the gaps.

..actually.. now that I think about it, maybe I should be using Corp more often.

4. Bigv32

Bigv32 Chieftain

AI gets damage bonuses on higher levels. You can see this when you look at the combat odds.

As for your example, you are looking at a fight between two units that are 2-3 eras apart. Sounds fair to me. Barb spawns are based on the highest tech rate I believe, so if you are behind, then that could be an issue. Combine that with flanking and it should pop fairly easy. For a land example, go see how long a warrior lasts vs two swordsmen.

I do agree that there are gaps in the unit lines. However, I think most of this is due to the fact that you lose the ability to produce units. Example. You research gunpowder but have not nitris (or whatever the new resource is for early gun units). Not only can you not make musketmen; the game prevents you from building more swordsmen. So your best option then for land melee is pikemen which do not work against other melee units well.

It sounds like you may not be keeping your military large enough. Yes marathon it is a pain to build multiple units, but remember; on standard speed, you would still want to build 2 or 3 units. You need to build that many on marathon and just keep clicking next turn for an hour. The good news is that on Marathon, you can win a war of attrition against the ai due to its incompetence at warfare.

5. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

See the GlobalParameters table, there are a lot of "COMBAT_" value to tweak

6. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Chieftain

Damages % should be in relation with game speed imo.