1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Global Warming in Civ4/Warlords

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Andraeianus I, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Andraeianus I

Andraeianus I Warlord

I have never had global warming in CIV4 before. But in my last game with Warlords I had several messages of global warming and some squares turned into desert. Even tundra squares...

Does anyone know what triggers global warming? What can I do to prevent this? And is this new in the Warlords expansion?

2. FuRRie

FuRRie King

It allready excisted in Vanilla Civ4.
    The most normal global warming trigger is the use of ICBM's, did you use a lot of them to nuks some of your enemies? Then you get global warming and squares start turning desert.

3. Panda

Panda Metal head

That's the first time ever I hear launching nukes and normal in the same sentence. Truely bizarre. :ack:

4. Palpster

Palpster Chieftain

ICBM's and nuclear meltdowns will both result in global warming. This was in Civ IV and I presume it is no different in Warlords (don't have the expansion yet).

5. Andraeianus I

Andraeianus I Warlord

No ICBM's thrown. The Manhatten Project had been built, but the production of nuclear weapons was banned shortly after. For sure no ICBM's were used. It was world peace anyway.

And no nuclear meltdowns. At least I expect a message and my civ didn't have any nuclear plants.

So is there an alternative explanation for this global warming?

6. Matty R

Matty R Veteran Newbie

Its caused by industrial stuff, like coal plants. It isn't to do with nukes or nuclear powerstations.

7. Andraeianus I

Andraeianus I Warlord

And is there a way to prevent this? By building recycling centres or adopting environmentalism? By the way: my civ didn't have coal plants. So my civ is -like in the real world- punished for somebody else's coal plants?

8. Ferrum Rex

Ferrum Rex Warlord

there is no solution for global warming,its all about pollution. factories,coal plants all add to it.

9. El Koeno

El Koeno Emperor

It seems to me that every thread on Global Warming has people who say only nuclear events can cause GW and other people who claim normal industrial buildings are a factor too. I'm not quite sure who to believe.

Maybe someone who isn't as code-illiterate like me could dive into the SDK to check it out?

10. Palpster

Palpster Chieftain

Could be. Since I've only had it happen directly following a nuclear meltdown I assumed it was a reaction to this, but I could be mistaken.

11. Todd Hawks

Todd Hawks Warlord

I noticed that it happens without any nukes or meltdowns, but at a slower pace... nukes make it happen a lot faster (i.e. more frequently).

12. KHSOLO

KHSOLO Warlord

I got a Julious Cesar type beating all my oponents (5 i think) on a continental map with a bronze era rush.

It was Prince level i believe.

The only way you get better than Dan is beating your enemies to a pulp, faster and on higher levels, cultural or diplomatic wins give you low points i believe.

13. FuRRie

FuRRie King

What has your post to do with the question?

And Global warming has to with nukes and meltdowns, industry is just another factor that influeances global warming...

14. Green Tico

Green Tico Chieftain

Global warming is a farse that the left wing media and Al Gore want you to believe. :D

15. Ferrum Rex

Ferrum Rex Warlord

exactly,at one point i saw it happening before anyone had reseached the tech for the mahatten project,it struck me as odd,so i looked throughout that game and found only my economy destroying wars coupled with factories and coal plants were to found, no nukes,no meltdowns.

16. Toys®Us

Toys®Us Warlord

With Civ4, it is possible to stop the global warming.

You find the file "GlobalDefines.xml", open it with notepad and modify the line:

<Define>
    <DefineName>GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB</DefineName>
    <iDefineIntVal>20</iDefineIntVal>
    </Define>

to:

<Define>
    <DefineName>GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB</DefineName>
    <iDefineIntVal>0</iDefineIntVal>
    </Define>

I finally have my copy of Warlords, and the same file is listed.
    We do the same thing I *suppose* (not tested yet).
    Be careful, if you play a MOD, sometimes, the same file (GlobalDefines.xml) is added. Follow the same procedure for each.
    :)

17. FuRRie

FuRRie King

Then again, since global warming is far from a problem in most games, why mod it?

18. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

In the SDK, Global Warming is based strictly on Nukes Exploded (which I assume would include meltdowns)

Note: if a Foreign Nuclear Plant Melts down, then you get no announcement.

19. Pounder

Pounder Phaethon was here

20. El Koeno

El Koeno Emperor

Ahaa thanks.

So that would explain why people think it happens without any nuclear explosions. Thanks for clearing that up.