1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Global Warming 'very likely' human made

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by QuoVadisNation, Feb 1, 2007.

1. QuoVadisNation

QuoVadisNation keeping your angel alive

2. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

I heard about this on the local news radio, odd they didnt talk about it on CNN yet.

3. sonorakitch

sonorakitch Overseas hunter

Here is an interesting article from Newsweek in 1975:

There is also a great book to read called "The Population Bomb".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Population_Bomb
    disclaimer: sorry to all you Wiki haters out there...read the book if you would like.

~Chris

;)

Attached Files:

4. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

My take is that the scientific community, is, as usual, a bunch of liars and economically-interested incompetent persons, and I'll rather trust a journalist, a lone "scientist" or a teenager on an internet forum over them.

5. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

Wow, some guy has been wrong in the past, so all of the scientific community must be wrong today?

6. sonorakitch

I don't think Dr. Elhric is some "wrong guy". He energized a world-wide movement to stem the population growth (which didn't work). The entire scientific community rallied behind Dr. Elhric's claims of mass starvation and a worldwide peak in agricultural output.

Call Dr. Elhric simply the 1965 Al Gore. He was a spokesperson of a movement.

Please understand this important crusade of your parent's generation.

~Chris

7. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

That doesn't change the fact that you mentioning such a thing is still a logical fallacy. "Scientists were wrong in the past, thus they will be wrong today" is logically fallicious.

8. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

Oh. Where did you see that the whole scientific community rallied behind him? It certainly influenced the media, and politicians, but I would not be so sure about the whole scientific community.

Just because I'd like to make sure there are no misunderstandings, what's your take on today's announcement by the scientific community?

9. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

I dont think this will convince the hard line conservatives, or many republicans or conservatives for that matter.

Its just like its almost impossible for an athiest to convince to a christian god doesnt exist.

Even with facts some people will reject it anyway.

10. sonorakitch

I wholeheartedly agree. I just caution the question regarding absolute truth regarding findings presented by a group of scientists, however large.

Those who interpret intuitive science as absolute fact need to remember the history behind said inuitive science from the past.

My disclaimer: I do not doubt the global warming problem and the role which humans play.

~Chris

11. sonorakitch

A chance to redeem myself, perhaps? ;)

I consider these press releases to be very alarming. I was also alarmed about acid rain in the 1980's. Just because the global warming concept may or may not exist doesn't mean it is not wise to try to address it.

I just want to interject some caution before believing every major scientific development, especially when it can result in significant detriment to the world economy.

~Chris

12. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

Wow nearly 10% uncertainty. BasketCase will have a field day when he sees this.

13. sonorakitch

I should really say the majority of the scientific community at the time (a similar situation to our global warming problem). Elhric's book has some 30 references to various scientific journals from the 60's in which he sourced his data from, including Heredity, New Scientist, and Scientific American, all well known scientific publications. Of course source finding is difficult as the internet has not reared science from the grave of the 1960's.

Needless to say, The Population Bomb scared the hell out of the western world.

~Chris

14. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

There's always the chance it isn't. :mischief:

15. BasketCase

BasketCase Username sez it all

Why should I? It's exactly the same as the last 23 global warming threads.

Bored now. Off to play World of Warcraft.

16. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

Why are we discussing this. The scientific concensus is in. Some will deny it like creationists, but the ballance of evidence is as silly as creationism.

Basically - yup, we know this.

17. Urederra

Urederra Mostly harmless

Mon Dieu!, they are running computer models with inaccurate parameters and the models themselves are not validated... :run:

And as I said in another thread.

Gothmog agrees with me in that... hurrah we have consensus.

But the CCCP IPCC and its mariachis insists on giving credibility to predictions for the end on this century:

Not to say for the next 1000 years:

Yeah... a prediction that runs over 1000 years made by the CCCP IPCC (I always have problems with the spelling of this acronym) Based on what computational models?

BTW, Gothmog, I must missed it but I cannot recall any serious discussion about parametrization and validation of computational models of global climate with the corresponding papers where they show how they cooked the parameters and the validation process.

Anyway, It seems that the models fail to reproduce the sea level change...

18. tomsnowman123

tomsnowman123 Simple Liver

I can't wait until the report comes out, hopefully it will spur some action on the part of governments around the world.

19. Urederra

Urederra Mostly harmless

If you believe in the report, specially the part that runs over 1,000 years :lol:, you can take action yourself. But don't force me to do anything against my beliefs.

The governments don't drive cars, is the people who drive.

20. tomsnowman123

tomsnowman123 Simple Liver

The governments could put much tighter restrictions on greenhouse gas emissions, something you and I can't do right now.