1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Global Warming

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Dark Helmet, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Chieftain

About 150 turns out from 2050AD decided I wanted my Persian empire to go down in history with a much grander score, so I decided to conquer my neighbors. I swallowed Egypt, and then Germany, and then turned my appetite to Mongolia. Halfway into my war with Ghengis Khan the oddest thing happens...Global Warming strikes Alexandria. This isn't like Civ3 Global Warming either. The tile was a grassland with a Town on it....and now it is desert. Following that disaster, global warming struck random cities in my empire about once every 4 turns..and in one case it struck two tiles for two respective cities in the same turn.

I can find no reference to Global Warming at all in the Civilopedia and was under the impression they took it out of Civ4. Much to my dismay, not only is included in Civ4, they have suped it up!

Anyone have information on this? is it a result of me conquering so many cities that had their city improvements destroyed? Is there any way to turn off this 'feature'?

2. Dueck

Dueck Walrold

Nukes, meltdowns, and fallout cause the chance of global warming to go up. The more of those events, the more likely there will be global warming on any turn. It happens to a random tile, turning it instantly to desert, and wiping out any improvement (except road and rail). This tile is randomly chosen regardless of the civ.

You can counteract global warming by making sure that all fallout is cleaned up, and refraining from nuking. It won't kill you outright, but it will hamper all civs. Best to get your domination in now rather than later.

3. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Chieftain

I did have a nuclear meltdown in Susa. I cleaned it up pretty quick and that was the last of it. The global warming continued to occur well after the last of the fallout was removed. I guess it is something i will just have to accept.

4. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

You could mod it out of the game. It's not that difficult. I've done just that because at the moment with all of our pollution and nuclear weapons tests, the negative effects of global warming are negligible compared to civ4.

Also, there's no way to stop or reverse global warming. For me, it doesn't add any fun element.

5. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Prince

Yeah I think that they need to find some other way to change your nuking, poluting habits, maybe by making your citzens start to get unhappy when you use nukes or somthing.... ANy thing is bietter than this this Global Warming strikes, such and such (not to mention that horrible, horrible da eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sound)

6. Exlax_Matt

Exlax_Matt Chieftain

Once you start using nukes in the game global warming will start happening in your country and it can eventually turn the world into a dessert wich is not good. I usually find it better to fire nukes even if the consquence for firing nukes is global warming.
    __________________________________________________________________-:nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :goodjob: :goodjob:

7. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

I've tested it in the world builder. I launched a lot of nukes on a small map and then pressed end turn a number of times. First the map became one great desert in no time and then tiles becan to change into water tiles (sea levels are rising). Eventually only a few city tiles and peaks remained when I stopped my test, the rest was water.

If they sold this to Bush as a simulation of global warming, then even he would want to reduce the output of greenhouse gasses in the world. Luckily the real world is a little less extreme.

8. knupp715

knupp715 King

:lol: This is great. I never knew the punishment was so extreme, even though I have experienced it in a few games.

IMHO, once all fallout has been cleaned up and the use of nukes over, Global Warming should reverse, not continue. Of course if somebody fired a nuke again it should start back up again perhaps even quicker than the first time.

9. Fallout2

Fallout2 Chieftain

I was playing right now, and something strange related to this subject just happened in my game (global warming!)...
    The odd thing is there are no atomic weapons in the game yet! :eek: the Man project is being made!
    If global warming only happens with atomic fallout, then there is only one explanation, some NPC nuclear power plant must have had a metldown. :nuke:

BTW! I am playing in a huge world... so there must be a very careless computer in my game...

10. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

However, if they sold that to Bush all he would do is ban Nuclear power.... Converting us all to coal plants.

Ideally Global warming would be something that
    1. is more widespread
    2. is more reversible

3. is NOT caused by nukes, or at least is caused more 'effectively' by Coal Plants....a Coal plant operating for as long as it takes a Nuke plant to meltdown should add 5-10x as much Global Warming

(Thought it would give a good reason for Environmentalism too... Global Warming caused by Coal Plants and Population... Environmentalism negates the Population component.. giving you a reason to want Other civs to take it, ie a UN resolution where Everyone has to take it.)

Ideally it would be something with a long time lag that built up and covered vast numbers of tiles, and slowly faded back....once all the causes were gone. perhaps just a minus X health to all cities once certain levels were reached.

11. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

When I first saw the civic named environmentalism, I thought it would have to do something with pollution and global warming. A pity, they didn't take this road. Your model seems a nicer one, less permanent effects but more temporary effects and a way to combat global warming. That's all that we need for a good model.

12. JIM G

JIM G Chieftain

I would have thought by now the good folks at Firaxis would know the difference between nuclear winter and global warming.
    What was the effect of global warming in CTP? I remember you could ask a civ to cut pollution - to which the reply usually was "**** off"

13. SPQR300

SPQR300 Deity

Global warming will never be a concern, because it strikes you enemies equally... So strategically it is not something that should alter your strategy, because it strikes everyone equally. (the only exception is if you moc more land the your enemies, but then, using nukes is not so crucial)

14. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

I just don't like to see everything that I've build go to waste. I agree that it doesn't influence any strategy since it hurts everyone equally. Also the realism factor of this implementation of global warming is almost nonexistent If it isn't fun, doesn't add new strategies and isn't realistic, then why is it in the game? :crazyeye:

15. SPQR300

SPQR300 Deity

Dunno I think the destruction of everything you have been building for 10-20hours in the game seems quite fun for me :) Deatch and decay can be fun too :D

16. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Chieftain

If Environmentalism is neccessary to help prevent global warming, then the world is screwed. The only way you are going to get my civ to let go of State Property is to pry it from my cold dead hands. Any vote for Environmentalism in the UN is guaranteed to get a 'No' vote from my civ.

I am not a fan of Global Warming, and as far as I am concerned should be removed from the game completely. In reality it is nothing more than the pollution from Civ3, but now you cannot clean it up.

17. Crighton

Crighton Emperor

um guys, nuclear weapons shouldn't cause global warming.

Wide spread use of nuclear weapons would cause Global Cooling(hence the term Nuclear Winter) which would be generated by all the particulate matter (albeit radioactive) being ejected into the atmosphere blocking out the sun. Which would probably prompt another Ice Age. Radioactivity genereated from nuclear weapons and nuclear meltdowns have nothing to do with trapping greenhouse gasses in real life.

Though I suppose a meltdown from a power plant could in theory cause a volcanic eruption as the reactor melts down through the Earth's crust, but even then the eruption would have a similar cooling effect to that of a normal volcanic eruption which would also cause cooling.

Aside from the drop in temperature, sea levels would also drop as more of the Oceans freeze over (heck, it pretty much says this in the map selection when you highlight the Ice Age maps).

In real life Global Warming theory has pollution from a cumilative effect of Co2 and other emissions causing the warming, the emissions being generated from a variety of sources (cars, exhaling, etc). I suspect that CIV has a similar cumullative GW effect from city generated polution and once some mathematical tipping point is reached then tiles start changing etc.

I'm glad someone at least did an experiment to see the extreme end results in CIV.

My question is: What about tundra? GW should make it a plain or grassland, perhaps a desert.

What about positive effects of GW? Longer growing seasons etc etc?

18. JIM G

JIM G Chieftain

Being British, I'm quite looking forward to global warming;)

I was thinking a bit more about the nuclear winter - more than x nukes detonated in less than n turns = nuclear winter.
    The map would in 1 turn spread ice over the northern/southern seas, tundra and ice spread on the land.
    The problem may be the time Civ IV seems to take to regenerate a map, which is presumably why it globally warms tile by tile unlike the way it was all at once in Civ II.
    Of course its not the nukes that cause nuclear winters, its the firestorms lit in the cities they hit that do that, but I wouldn't expect the game to get quite that detailed:)

19. SPQR300

SPQR300 Deity

AS I have read global warming will actually slow dowf the golf-stream, so britain would be one of the few countries where the weather would actually turn much colder. :)(no luck with that one :DDD :p :D)

20. Crighton

Crighton Emperor

No, you're right it's not the nukes per se, but the nuclear explosion, the explosion tossing now irradiated matter into the air which would block the sun etc etc.

My point exactly, in real life why would say Canada be against GW? And in CIV I'm pro GW, seriously. Out of about 45 games now at least 40 of which my capital has been within site of a polar cap. And much like real life I'm tired of freezing my ass of.

Though it would be nice to major cliamate shifts (in either direction) be more of a factor in CIV. That and have more environmentas factors, random plagues sweep the world, unhappiness from trade free market trade polices and what not.

Anyhoo,

Why the State Property as opposed to Free Market? just curiouus.