1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Glory In the Sun

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by ZeletDude, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Karalysia

Karalysia Chieftain

2. TheLizardKing

TheLizardKing Let's talk Michelle.

The lulz have been had.

To: The United States of America

Please tell us you have given up by now. We've played with your fleets long enough, and grow weary of the target practice.

3. DarthNader

DarthNader Destroyer of Worlds

Now confirming my switch from Mexico to the Netherlands.

That update wasn't bad Zelet, don't beat yourself up.

4. germanicus12

germanicus12 First Citizen of Rome

OOC: Did you completely forget my fortifications? Norfolk, being a naval base should be heavily defended, as per my orders. After rereading my orders, I feel this is heavily biased towards an American defeat.

And where are the Pacific battles? Hawaii or Alaska?

I am hereby withdrawing from this NES.

For those interested these were my orders for this update: Which was completely ignored. Pay particular attention to the Gulf/Atlantic: Surface Fleet section of the orders. My navy should not have been caught unawares due to my establishment of "Coast Guard" patrols.

Spoiler :
    United States/ Germanicus12
    Federal Republic: William McKinley
    Capital: Washington D.C
    Stability: 8
    Economic Power: 35/7
    Manpower: 7,495 (+3)
    Army: 45 Infantry Divisions, 10 Cavalry Divisions, 5 Artillery Regiments
    Army Quality: 6
    Navy: 7 Dreadnoughts, 2 Battle-Cruisers, 13 Cruisers, 12 Destroyers, 14 Torpedo Boats, 18 Coastal Gun Boats
    Navy Quality: 6

International Diplomacy:

Withheld in respect of our allies.

Domestic Orders:

Begin policy to implement these new Gatling Guns into our divisions. Those divisions tasked with defending the United States get first priority followed by those fighting in the Philippines then everyone else after wards.

*Still under Mobilization rules*

Purchase 30 new Submarines, the Hamilton Class. -30 EP and -15 Manpower. Send 15 to cover Cuba and make the enemy pay a heavy price to send supplies to Cuba. Send another 15 to cover the Pacific between Hawaii and Alaska.

Pay to resupply and garrison the various forts and fortresses around America. (Note Washington DC does not have forts. They will be protected by soldiers.) -7 EP. (I know you said 5 in IM, but use the 2 extra to train the militia or use better cannons. Either way use it to improve the defenses.)

Recruit 30 Infantry Divisions. -15 EP and -60 Manpower.

Military Orders:

Pacific Campaign:
    Submarine Warfare:
    Spoiler :
    With our 15 Subs, use 5 to hunt down the German fleet, when on is found (even if it is just a ship) tail it to their home base. Once the location is found sail back to inform command of the location so the other subs can meet there. Once a sub arrives at the German Asiatic Fleet headquarters they are to wait for the Dreadnoughts and send them to the bottom, once this is done, the subs will leave and head back to San Diego to resupply and wait a week. Once the week is up they will return, and do it over again. If there are no more dreadnoughts focus on Cruisers/Battle Cruisers. With the remaining 10 patrol the supply lanes to Alaska, we will starve the Germans out of Alaska and Hawaii. Use 1 of these subs to land some agents on Hawaii to rally the locals and the sub will, under the cover of night supply weapons and ammo for the upcoming fight. The Hawaiians will join us as we land and force the Germans out.

Surface Fleet:
    Spoiler :
    2 dreadnaughts, 4 cruisers, and 10 destroyers is what was sold to us from the Japanese. This fleet will be designated the Pacific Fleet, headquartered out of San Diego. In San Diego they will stay, they are not to sally forth from the facility unless Los Angeles or San Francisco reports threats of dreadnoughts. Small raids by destroyers or Cruisers will be responded only by cruisers and destroyers.

Once the Philippines Fleet arrives and rejoins the main Fleet, they will take soldiers and retake Hawaii and Alaska. (More details below)

Philippines Campaign:
    Surface Fleet:
    Spoiler :
    We should have 5 Dreadnoughts led by the USS Texas, 5 Cruisers led by the USS Detroit and 8 Destroyers led by the USS Jones left over from last year.

Due to diplomatic breakdowns with the rebels, we are abandoning the Philippines, we will not fight for a country that will not declare its independence. We are not imperialists. Therefore the Fleet will destroy naval facilities in Manila Bay, crippling any repair facilities and forcing the Germans and other naval forces operating against us to sail elsewhere for repairs. Once this is done, they will pick up our land forces of 4 Infantry, 2 Artillery and 2 Cavalry. Once done, they will sail east, they should take Wake and Midway along the way (should be lightly defended early in the year and may not even be aware of the war. (Historically the Americans took Wake without a shot being fired because the garrison was unaware there was a war on.)) If the Admiral deems the garrison strong for some unknown reason, simply move on to Hawaii, there they will meet the Pacific Fleet and prepare an invasion.

Also, we should be able to leave the Philippines in mid to late January, before the German blockade begins.

Gulf/Atlantic Campaign:
    Submarine Fleet:
    Spoiler :
    With 15 subs we will choke the Cuban island of their vital supplies. Cuba alone cannot support her residents and the numerous soldiers on the island without constant supplies. We aim to cut or diminish those supplies while at the same time supplying weapons to whatever rebels are willing to gather them.

Surface Fleet:
    Spoiler :
    9 Dreadnoughts led by the USS New York, 18 Cruisers led by the USS Chicago, 2 Battle Cruisers led by the USS Ticonderoga, 19 Destroyers led by the USS Washington, 14 Torpedo Boats and 18 Coastal Guns.

The Surface Fleet will protect the Gulf and the Atlantic Seaboard. The fleet will ensure that our subs are protected around Cuba and challenge any enemy fleet that even enters our sight line. We will not back down nor will we tolerate an attack on our soil. Therefore we are changing the defense plan:

2 Coastal Guns, 2 Torpedo boats and 2 Destroyers will protect the following harbors and cities:
    Boston Harbor and Boston.
    New York Harbor and New York City.
    Philadelphia.
    Washington D.C.
    Norfolk.
    Charleston.

Total defense force taken from main fleet:
    12 Coastal Gun Ships.
    12 Torpedo Boats.
    12 Destroyers.

This should be sufficient to repel many raids as well as handle any submarine. If an enemy fleet is spotted, with Dreadnoughts and Cruisers the Maine fleet will be notified and the Defense Force will regroup and put up a delaying action until the Main Fleet arrives.

If the Main Fleet arrives via the Gulf, our subs should spot them first and do some preliminary damage, then notify the command. Even then we will have destroyers on constant watch 50 miles from the main fleet and they can race home to warn the fleet and get them ready for action. Attempt to lure the enemy as close to the shore batteries in Mobile Bay, Pensacola, Florida or Galveston Texas, if they get stuck fighting shore batteries, attempt to trap them by cutting off their retreat.

Land Campaigns:
    Retaking Hawaii:
    Spoiler :
    Detail 15 Divisions, plus those joining us from the Philippines and invade Hawaii sometimes around April. If the Hawaiians can distract the Germans and free up a beachhead we will have the Germans cut off and they will have no choice but to surrender. Take every island in the chain the same way. Once Hawaii is retaken, begin preparations to build fortifications to protect Pearl Harbor and other vital locations around Hawaii. The money and supplies will arrive the next year.

Retaking Alaska:
    Spoiler :
    Again, we will detail 25 Divisions for this assault, since artillery is unpredictable in the permafrost, we will not be including them in our assault. With the Pacific Fleet done supporting Hawaii, they will pick them up near Seattle and take them north to Anchorage, if Hawaii fell quickly (which it should given the numbers) the assault should take place near July or August, given the numbers, we should overwhelm the Germans and have Alaska back in our hands by winter. Again, here prepare defenses in anticipation of money and supplies being sent the following year.

American Mainland:
    Spoiler :
    With the Pacific Coast secured with a powerful navy and the recapture of Alaska and Hawaii, not to mention the forts and fortresses being re-garrisoned, such as Alcatraz, we should not need large defense forces in the West. But we are leaving 5 Infantry, 2 Cavalry and 1 Artillery to protect Seattle if needed.

Therefore the remaining 6 Infantry divisions, 3 Cavalry and 2 artillery will center around Washington, the only undefended coastal city in America. If an enemy fleet is sighted approaching Washington, evacuate the city and move the army in. (Since the only way into Washington is by entering the Chesapeake Bay there will be plenty of warning. Plus the Dreadnoughts and heavier cruisers will not be able to make it through. Meaning they have to take Baltimore or another city right on the coast then march to Washington. Those cities will be well protected. But if they happened to be breached, the army will establish defensive lines in the enemy's path and defend the capital to last man.

EDIT: Not to mention I never ordered the massacre of Filipino rebels, just the destruction of repair facilities, which are not a part of Manila City, and in fact lay approximately 2-5 miles south of the city. There is no reason for our guns to fire into the city, or for our engineers setting the charges to do so in the city. And my evacuation plan called for an early January withdrawal, according to the update the withdrawal was a month or two late, allowing the German fleet adequate time to sail down and destroy the fleet.

I am curious as to what kind of bizarre set of scenarios that allowed my commanders to completely ignore every order that came from Washington.

5. badunoff

badunoff Chieftain

Very nice update. It was fine.

6. Agent 89

Agent 89 Chieftain

To: Germany and the United States

The United Kingdom looks unfavorably upon this war of yours, which restricts international trade and causes the death of numerous civilians. We suggest that in the best interests of both your nations, you come to a peace agreement quickly. We would suggest the following as a fair agreement, but do not wish to enforce our terms upon your conflict.

-Cuba and the Philippines will remain under the control of Spain.
    -Germany will evacuate Alaska.
    -Hawaii will be given independence. They will not be allowed to join with America for another 5 years, at which time a referendum will be held to determine whether Hawaii favors becoming part of the United States.
    -No reparations will be made by either side.

7. TheLizardKing

To: The United Kingdom

While we appreciate your attempts at mediation, we feel that we should be able to pull a peace out of the Americans this year. With the Pacific firmly in our hands, and their Atlantic Coast undefended, we feel the only sensible thing the Americans can do is surrender.

We do understand, of course, the issues this may cause to your trade system, and we'd be happy to work out the details in regards to what money you have lost from this war, and what we think would be fair to pay you.

EDIT: Not worth the argument.

8. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

Regarding Norfolk:
    The Germans sent a small number of troops in the middle of the night how were those fortifications supposed to handle that?

Also regarding Alaska/Hawaii, Etc. Your fleet didn't even leave the Philippines because as I understood it your whole Pacific fleet was stationed there. Your fleet couldn't leave because the Germans were already blockading the entrance to Manila and it's harbor last year..

The same thing occurred in the Atlantic, if you remember your little naval battle with the Germans, last year forced your navy back into Norfolk and the German ships blockaded your exit from Norfolk.

Also your counting for your ships was horribly off. You said you had 9 dreadnoughts in the Atlantic and 5 in the Pacific, when you only have 7 total... same thing with cruisers..

9. Lord of Elves

Lord of Elves Suede-Denim Secret Police

To: Siam

Cease your assaults on peaceful missionaries and French citizens, or we will be forced to deal with you unkindly.

10. Eltain

Eltain Chieftain

I thought it was a good update, Zelet. Worth the wait, definitely. Your updates are slow but powerful like an elephant, perhaps?

Are you trying to bring the NES down with you, to go out in a bang, germanicus? I just don't understand.

11. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

The Ottoman Empire checking in.

12. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

Thanks Eltain!

And Gamez, you can have the Ottomans.

13. badunoff

badunoff Chieftain

Are my two projects complete?

14. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

To: France

We do not approve of your missionaries in our lands. We are not sorry for what happened it is their own fault. They should leave and go back to France.

15. TheLizardKing

OOC: I know you were up to something Japan! :l

Anyway, ZD since you're now the United States, I suppose diplomacy is directed towards you?

You have been thoroughly thrashed and beaten. Their is no logical point for continuing this war. Your people have spoken, and do not deem territories as far flung as Hawaii and Alaska worth fighting for. Are you ready to begin peace talks?

16. germanicus12

germanicus12 First Citizen of Rome

No, America breaking up will do nothing to the NES, it is apparent now that America is only there to be pushed around by other powers. My timeline was ignored, my defenses were ignored and my invasions were ignored, it is now painfully obvious that ZD wants America to be defeated and the world to revert back to its former "glory". That is the Europeans once again controlling the New World.

To Germany
    From the United States

So I take it you do not accept our terms? You got more than what you wanted, America defeated, broken up among the European powers and Hawaii is yours.

OOC:
    The reasoning behind my terms is simple, if the Americans are tired of being "imperialistic" (despite my message last year that we left the Philippines because we had no desire to be imperialistic) then all of our gains after getting Independence from Great Britain are surrendered because those are imperialistic gains.

Also, ZD I don't care what you do from this point on, but I want one thing cleared, I never ordered the bombarding of Filipino people, villages or anything resembling carnage and pillaging, my destruction of the repair facilities were a part of the Naval base Spain had constructed outside Manila City and had no civilian villages or towns nearby that would have been affected.

17. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

We are willing to hear what Germany terms are..

18. Julius Gandi

Julius Gandi The Foreign Disease

Lurker comment: Germanicus are you on acid?

19. TheLizardKing

The Treaty of Philadelphia
    Any other ideas?

20. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

Seeing as we have no alternative we sign this.