1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gma02: “First Come, First Severed” - Training Day Game

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by gmaharriet, May 11, 2007.

1. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

Come one, come all! Welcome to the Greatest Show on Earth! (Oh, wait, that's the circus. Wait, no, that is us. )

Download save . . . check.
    NoAiPatrol=0 . . . check.

We're standing on a BG. We could settle on the spot, but 1 S keeps 2 BGs, a river and a hill in the initial 9. Once cultural borders expand, we'll have: (a) 2 hills; (b) 3 BGs (all bordered by river); (c) 2 forests; but (d) puts us 1 tile from the coast. Worker 1 SW onto the hill for visibility gives us a better idea. I might rather just move the settler 1 S and start the worker roading where he stands.

Greygamer, I think the problem with Automate and Gotos is when they cross over from one player to another. They make for bad handoffs. I don't see a problem using them inside your own turnset. Just make sure that everything is all wrapped up when you pass the save.

Research preferences? With this start, I believe the Republic slingshot is attainable, but if I were going for it, I'd start it right now and beeline it. I think WC might be a viable option. (I like archers).

Government? With REL, we can switch, but I've never played a REL civ, so I don't know how often this can feasibly be used. Given the prohibition on making peace once a civ is targeted, Monarchy sure seems attractive. That said, if y'all think Republic can work, I'm OK with that, too.

2. Sashie VII

Sashie VII Balance of Power

lurker's comment: Another one on my lurk list. All the best :wavey:

3. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Honored lurker's comment: I think you should move one tile south-west, so you'll be on the coast, have a river, still have 3 BG's and one of the forests, and be on a hill for defense if needed (unlikely, though).

4. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

We have one slot still open that I'm saving for someone who had expressed an interest earlier. I sent a PM about 9:30pm last night, and it's now 10:30am my time. I want to give at least 24 hours for a response, but then it will be open again if there's no reply.

Since I'd like to have one or more people in reserve if anyone should become unable to play, please don't be afraid to express an interest now if you'd like to join. :)

5. Bede

Bede Deity

Quoth Aabraxan:

We're standing on a BG. We could settle on the spot, but 1 S keeps 2 BGs, a river and a hill in the initial 9. Once cultural borders expand, we'll have: (a) 2 hills; (b) 3 BGs (all bordered by river); (c) 2 forests; but (d) puts us 1 tile from the coast. Worker 1 SW onto the hill for visibility gives us a better idea. I might rather just move the settler 1 S and start the worker roading where he stands.

d) is precisely why I don't like the 1S move for the settler and it severely hampers any city that we do put on the coast, if it is indeed coast.

So to resolve the issue and since almost everyone seems to agree that moving the worker on the hill to check things out is a good choice, and since I started this whole debate - how's about I move the worker on the hill, then take a screenshot?

I like the idea of wasting a two worker turn and a production turn because we gain intelligence for decision making but more than one turn is usually not an effective trade of time for information (it's all about margins, remember)

So if no one disagrees I will go ahead and do just that, gather some intelligence that is.

@greygamer - you will find I am an intelligence junkie. Any time I can delay a decision in order to gather a little more information I like to do so.

Lesson the first (gma and Aa have heard this all before) - The game is won or lost at the margin. what I mean to say is that an extra gold piece or an extra shield, especially in the early going when things are cheap and margins are thinner, will often make the difference between a strong finish and a weak one. And intelligence gathering, while not directly measurable in immediate or short term output, can make the difference in having that extra output when it counts.

And that is another reason why I really lilke turn logs that contain information rather than data. For example, it is more important to me to know what direction an opponent's explorer is coming from and what direction he went when he left, not just that the encounter happened.

And when you report a completion of a building some information concerning its effect on the economy is more useful to know.

That may seem to be a lot of things to track while moving troops and workers around and keeping an eye out for bogies but it can be done once you get the hang of interpeting the in-game information.

And thanks for the heads-up on NoAIPatrol, gma and Aabraxan!

And one last thing on Preferences "Color blind help" is a useful tool for us :old:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. :coffee: :smoke:

6. Aabraxan

I'm fer it.

7. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

By all means, check it out. My instincts would tell me to go east, away from the coast...something I always do unless playing a seafaring civ or unless there is some other overriding reason to do so. Well...SEA civs start on a coast, but still...

My reasoning is that you can always build another core city on the coast...an opportunity lost if your capital is already there. You immediately lose that arc of your inner ring. Am I missing something with this thought? :confused:

8. Desertsnow

Desertsnow πr²

Checking in and subscribing.

9. Bede

Bede Deity

And especially if your capitol BFC covers the ground one off the coast. Any cities you put there lose access to land based production.

Anyway, one worker move and screenshot in the hopper.

:wavey: to DesertSnow and greygamer. Welcome to the monk(ey) house.

10. Bede

Bede Deity

Welll here it is boys and girls, settling in place is clearly not a good option as it wastes a good coastal city site withput getting any coastal benefits, not to mention the bonus grass. Moving one south is even worse as it is truly the dreaded "one field off the coast". Moving one west to the coast loses the riverside food bonus in the city center.

Moving one east into the fog is our best option. Leaves the hills for later in the game when we can make better use of them but preserves all those juicy riverside fields for the capitol.

And I am sure you know the chant, but just in case you have forgotten here is the locomotive for the TGOM - food! gold! shields! food! gold! shields! food! gold! shields! food! gold! shields! Go Celts!

The resaved save

11. greygamer

greygamer Feudal Lord

It would seem your instinct was quite correct (5 BG :clap:) as is the logic that backs it up. I only suggested this in the event we were isolated early on and there was of course no way of knowing that.

I had trouble locating the .ini file but did find a utility that should apply the same fix, 'barbfixer'. My question is, what is the easiest way to check if the fix is in place given it can be changed any time you load a SAV.file from another source?

@bede More info is good! :)
    I have no problem with gathering as much info as possible but do have a problem with 'applying' that information. I'll take my lead from your turn reports and try to match that level of information if possible.

12. Aabraxan

Caveat: I'm not technologically savvy. (IOW, if I can do this, you can do this). I just right-clicked "My Computer" and then hit "Explore." From there you can dig down into your computer files and find the conquests.ini file. It's in the Conquests directory. Icon looks like a text document with a gold doohickey on it. Under Type it says "Configuration settings," and is only about 3 KB in size. Double-click it and it opens in WordPad. Then look around for the NoAIPatrol=0 line.

13. greygamer

greygamer Feudal Lord

Thanks for that Aabraxan :goodjob: I was looking for something with .ini :wallbash: it is set correctly (for now)

14. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

I just received a PM from Kickbooti. He's definitely "in", but it seems I neglected to tell him how to FIND us. :blush: I know he's busy and unlikely to be available tomorrow, but I hope we'll see him here by Monday.

I'll take full responsibility for being a bit disorganized in my organizing. Please bear with me. :crazyeye:

Now, for Roster order. Any volunteers for going first? Any specific requests for placement order in the roster? If not, I'll do a random order.

I think we should make a final decision on which direction to settle, plant our city, take a screenie and discuss opening moves.

Here's a link to Cracker's Opening Moves in the War Academy if anyone wishes to refer to it. http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3/strategy/cracker/civ3_starts/index.htm I've studied it, but still get confused on what to do first in any given situation.

15. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

lurker's comment: I'll be watching this one, too. gma, I hope this will be as helpful for you as Aabra's recent MMing TDG was for me.

16. Kickbooti

Kickbooti Ecclesia Militans

Greaaat. Now with the add-ons. I can't take this kind of pressure.

And with that, I check in and read up.

17. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

I'm so glad to see you, Booti!!! I've known you quite awhile, but we've never played an SG together. It should be interesting.

I'm not sure if my Monarch experience would quite be called "creditable" enough to help. I thought the variant sounded fairly straight-forward and not toooo difficult. Bede has me worried now. :hmm:

Good thing this is a friendly game. :p

18. Bede

Bede Deity

Hey ' booti! Good to see around. We could use a druid! Now get out there and give 'em what for.

And loading a save does not change your Conquests configuration file And once you have set NoAIPatrol it is set forever (or until you re-install the game).

The GOTM barbfixer is the best way to do it. And unless you have "view extensions for known file types" selected in your OS file viewing preferences it is very hard to find a .ini file :groucho:

The variant is not tooo difficult, gma. TheAI gets minimal production bonuses, trade discounts and such like and the player handicaps are also reasonable. But it does require that the player put her head in the game. In fact, this will feel a lot like gma01 but without the pressure from the AI.

19. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

I didn't change anything and haven't reinstalled for 1 1/2 years. I wonder how long I've been playing with it wrong. :hmm:

Alright then, I feel better now. I'll try to have my head in a good place. :D

Ok, since nobody is clamoring to play first, I'll do the honors (with a LOT of help from my friends.) Except for me, the random order is...tah dah...

Roster:
    Gmaharriet
    Greygamer
    Bede
    Desertsnow
    Aabraxan
    Kickbooti

Do we have a consensus on moving directly east? If so, I'll move and establish our city, take a screenie and post it for discussion on opening moves. I'll wait a couple of hours before doing that, so speak up if you have some other idea. All input welcome!!!

20. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

If I am correct, the top of the file looks like this?