GMR Into The Renaissance

EEE_BOY

Deity
Inspired by MadDjinn's recent YouTube video, I really want to try this scenario as well. So this is for G&K official scenario 'into the renaissance' to be played in GMR.

Some preliminary invitations have been sent out to help test the mechanism of GMR scenario play.

CS and Mongolia AI difficulty: Prince. Please do not join Mongolia in the game.

G&K required. More info will be copied and some extra game play info will come up soon.

Reserved for scenario information (There is no consolidated info on the internet, so I have to type word by word. You can read the scenario info in game. This is just for some quick overview)

Victory conditions: Highest score after 200 turns, where score can be earned by
1. Control or ally the holy city, or Jerusalem (10 points per turn)
2. Win election from civs and CSs on turn 50 and subsequently every 25 turns (250 points per election for the winner, no point if draw, maximum 1500 points)
3. Send caravels west after researching Exploration (500 points per caravel + gold, but each subsequent caravel drops in points, source: MadDjinn)
4. Capture cities following a different religion (25 per pop of the city before capture, ie. 10 pop before capture 250 points, source: MadDjinn)

Three religions are established before game: Catholicism (Vatican), Orthodoxy (Constantinople) and Islam (Mecca). The holy cities are predetermined and no great prophet is needed for that matter. Basically only Byzantium get hold of holy city in the beginning, so they will increase points by 10 each turn from the start. Other civs have to either ally or conquer vatican or mecca or Jerusalem to get that benefit (these 3 are city states, and has to be the same religion to get the founder belief).

Civs grouped by religions:

Isabella-Spain: after exploration, send 3 conquisitors to the west for addtional points according to 3, same UUs as G&K
Boudicca-Celts: 20% combat bonus fighting larger civilisation (Ethiopia UA), same UU + longbow like UU (similar to English UU I guess)
William-The Netherlands: same UA,UU,UI
Elizabeth-England: same UA, UU
Francis I - France: same UA, same musket UU + UB
Gustavus Adolphus- Sweden: NOT G&K UA, but actually repalced with Viking UA, the horse UU remains but with another UB
Maria Theresa - Austria: same UA, UU, but different UB.

Suleiman-Turks: all melee naval can capture ships. 1/3 naval maintenance, same UUs as G&K
Saladin-The Ayyubids (Songhai): free courthouse, start with The Pyramids, UU+UB
Ya'qub al-Mansur: The Almohads (Arab): +2 gold per trade route. Same UU, UB

Theodora-Byzantium: 1 extra spy, only civilisation starts with a controlled holy city, same UUs as G&K
Catherine -Russia: All land unit + 1 movement. Movement only cost 1 movement point along a river. same UU, UB

Units and upgrade path change
(Originally Posted by AriochIV)
A warning to those playing the scenario for the first time: Swordsmen don't cost Iron, but Longswordsmen do, and so do Musketmen and Cannon.
Frigates also require Iron, and the other ships do not, but this is normal to the regular game.
Also be aware that some of the upgrade paths are not available -- Triremes and Pikemen in particular can't be upgraded.
and Knights upgrade to Lancer/Cossack/Hussar/etc.

Some useful tips
Capitals and city states locations are predetermined before the game, so a little bit knowledge of European geography may help there, so you know who you will fight against early on based on historical locations.

Some first turn advice quoted from MadDjinn: choice has to be made very early in the first turn to whether going the Knight route or the Longswordman route, which can roughly determined if you can see horses or irons in the first a few turns. The HS has no free great prophet, so no one will go there.

For general intro as how to play each civ to the most advantage, please view the video above into several minutes.

As a person that neglects work duties in favour of reading cfc forums and GMR I have already joined as Arabia without knowing what I was actually joining. I may have chosen wisely.

As a person that neglects work duties in favour of reading cfc forums and GMR I have already joined as Arabia without knowing what I was actually joining. I may have chosen wisely.

Wise pick. We are Islamic brothers, so we can either fight together to earn religious points together or we can kill each other early and really quickly.

ditto for me, celts

Invitation sent.

Celts are like half ethiopia UA, half English longbow for UU.

More info will be typed later on.

hey EEE, does the holy city dynamic work differently in this scenario than in the normal G&K? i.e, is there a set holy city for each religion or does it arise organically during play (whoever founds the religion has the holy city)?

interesting.

Playing this scenario with all civs being humans would definitely be very cool.

Yeah, I believe the religious blocks will start kill themselves before killing cities with differeng religion, unless the diplomacy here can bring them together.

hey EEE, does the holy city dynamic work differently in this scenario than in the normal G&K? i.e, is there a set holy city for each religion or does it arise organically during play (whoever founds the religion has the holy city)?

I've updated the scenario info, please check that. Thanks.

Basically only Byzantium get hold of holy city in the beginning, so they will increase points by 10 each turn from the start. Other civs have to either ally or conquer vatican or mecca or Jerusalem to get that benefit (these 3 are city states, and has to be the same religion to get the founder belief)

3. Send caravels west after researching Exploration (?? points per caravel)
4. Capture cities following a different religion (??points per city)

--

Caravels start at 500 points and drop some points/caravel - I forget the steps (you also get gold).

you get 25 points/population (the pop before the 1/2 pop loss) when you take a city of another religion.

3. Send caravels west after researching Exploration (?? points per caravel)
4. Capture cities following a different religion (??points per city)

--

Caravels start at 500 points and drop some points/caravel - I forget the steps (you also get gold).

you get 25 points/population (the pop before the 1/2 pop loss) when you take a city of another religion.

Wow, that's huge to know before starting the game. Thank you. I will update the info.

Wow, that's huge to know before starting the game. Thank you. I will update the info.

In games vs. the AIs, you're looking at ~3000-3500 points required for the win. Vs. humans, it might be a bit different given that more of the alternate points will be handed out (more religious wars, more caravels, etc).

In this setup, I'd expect the Austrian player (or Spain maybe) to take the Vatican early (or Austria marries it and Spains conquers it), along with the Turks taking Jerusalem and the Ayyubids taking Mecca. Top that off with Byzantium and that's 3-4 players already crossing 2000 points in the game.

The HRE is worth a total of 1500 points (if you get them all) and I think that the Caravel/Exploration points sum to the same amount (give or take) - with the exception of Spain going for an additional 3 Conquistadors worth.

So people will definitely need to calculate how they're going to get points. I have a feeling taking England/Celts/Sweden/Dutch might be a problem - points wise anyways.

I am in, but is setting to 24 hours possible?

And Ottoman.

Hi, what's your Steam ID please? so I can send an invitation to you. Thanks.

The timer is 28 hours so that weekend can take longer, but usually 1 turn every 2 days, I suppose that will be ok for you?

Hi, what's your Steam ID please? so I can send an invitation to you. Thanks.

The timer is 28 hours so that weekend can take longer, but usually 1 turn every 2 days, I suppose that will be ok for you?

That's fine, and vra379971.

Top Bottom