Goals and Invasion plans for Mongolian War

robboo

Deity
Goals:
Capture the three eastern cities of Mogolia. This will force them into a small corner and limit their expansion. We can then remove them when ever we desire( we will need catapults or many swords).

Timetable:
I believe we will be ready for the attack within the next 10 turns.

Plans
This is the invasion and pillaging plans of Mongolia set to occur as soon as the units reach their rally points.

In the map below:
There are three rally points. The dots in the rally points are the maximum need units for an attack with little probablity of needing reinforcements..largely a questimate based on how old the cities are. However..the 2 squares with 4 can be used with 3 units( ax or swords). The green arrows after the capture of Old Sarai..are dependent upon which city needs the reinforcements...wont know that till we see whats in them and how the RNG treats us.

The pillaging plan...under my leadership..we want to pay for our war instead of having our citizens pay for it.:)

2 Chariots..Dark and light blue..will pillage the red squares first....not cutting roads except the roads between the Mogolian cities. The green dots are spearsmen (sentrys) and defenders. They will be used to defend and since the Mongolians only have archers...should be sutiable for defense. If the war goes long enough the chariots will pillage the farms around the southern city.

I ask for discussion and comments from all levels of our government and from our citizens. I ask the censor to start an plan approval poll as he described in the poll granting permission to declare war.

Looks pretty good to me. I didn't go over it with a fine comb or anything, so I'm sure there are others who will have proposed suggestions.

Do you have any plans for a possible "failed" invasion?

Failed..pull back to our borders, defend and beg for peace.

Old Sarai should fall instantly..1 archer vs 2 or 3 axes. Its the primary objective since it will secure our Abydos iron. the others are less certain and they could fail. I see us taking 2 of the three cities without a problem.

Thanks for the comments.

robboo said:
Failed..pull back to our borders, defend and beg for peace.

Old Sarai should fall instantly..1 archer vs 2 or 3 axes. Its the primary objective since it will secure our Abydos iron. the others are less certain and they could fail. I see us taking 2 of the three cities without a problem.

Thanks for the comments.

That kind of answers another question I just thought of, but I'll ask anyway.

We are in bad need of a science boost, do you think it will be safe to cut down our production on military units some, inorder to increase our science rate? Or will that damage our war effort to much, or be to risky?

Strider..Re: production...let me check. Remind me if I dont answer you by tomorrow afternoon. I think we can perhaps switch MG and/or BW to science production..due to the distance involved after they build another unit each.( maybe even now). I dont want to hurt us long term so I am trying to do as much with as little. Also..expect a boost from the pillaging so you will be able to increase the sci rate.

Vind2:
Dont know the pillage plans are roughly 6 turns. The cities will be attacked on war turn zero for Old Sarai, war Turn 2 for the unknown city and war turn 2 for Turfan. Now if we have to wait for reinforcements( from Old Sarai)...then it coud be 4 to 6 more turns. The attack and capture war could be over in 2 turns or over in 8+turns. We pillage until he signs the cease fire.

Then its up to Mongolia to decide when to accept peace. Our attacking wont last longer than 10 turns...unless we decide to go for more than just three cities.

OK, I can't help myself...
Old Sarai should fall instantly...I see us taking 2 of the three cities without a problem.
So you're telling us they will welcome us as liberators with open arms when we invade?
The pillaging plan...under my leadership..we want to pay for our war instead of having our citizens pay for it.
Are you prepared for the protesters with signs that read, "No War for [strategic resource]" and "Don't trade blood for [strategic resource]"?
Do you have any plans for a possible "failed" invasion?
Hasn't real life taught you that we shouldn't plan to fail?

OK, now that that's out of my system, here's my real response: MG only has a population of 3 and can not grow anymore. It is also only generating 3 commerce. There is no point at this time to increase it's science until we devolop some kind of technology to make it grow. It is generating 16 hammers. The only thing it has left to build is Obelisk, Lighthouse, and Great Lighthouse. A lighthouse will do nothing for the city and the GL will give 6 culture, 2 GP points, and give every coastal city +2 trade routes. It will take 43 turns to build up to the GL, and I don't think we'll win the race. The only think BW can build is an Obelisk. These two cities can keep pumping out military units for now. The only other thing we might do is some scientists are telling me they might be able to make chariots that can ride on the water to explore the Sea of Chip.

Geroge...shhh...dont give the protesters any ideas.

I dont have an opinion on what the cities produce I was only saying that if it NEEDED to be done then those are are the logical choice due to distance...not due to production or science. You guys hash that out this term..maybe next term due to term limits I will worry about science or something else.

GeorgeOP said:
OK, now that that's out of my system, here's my real response: MG only has a population of 3 and can not grow anymore. It is also only generating 3 commerce. There is no point at this time to increase it's science until we devolop some kind of technology to make it grow. It is generating 16 hammers. The only thing it has left to build is Obelisk, Lighthouse, and Great Lighthouse. A lighthouse will do nothing for the city and the GL will give 6 culture, 2 GP points, and give every coastal city +2 trade routes. It will take 43 turns to build up to the GL, and I don't think we'll win the race. The only think BW can build is an Obelisk. These two cities can keep pumping out military units for now. The only other thing we might do is some scientists are telling me they might be able to make chariots that can ride on the water to explore the Sea of Chip.

Actually, a lighthouse would allow MG to grow to its happy limit, by allowing water tiles to be used. This will increase commerce in that city by however many citizens are added.

GeorgeOP said:
Are you prepared for the protesters with signs that read, "No War for [strategic resource]" and "Don't trade blood for [strategic resource]"?

As long as we don't smugly trot out the "Mission Accomplished" banner three years (and soon to be counting.....) before its time, I'll pledge to leave my placards at home.

Besides that, the world is still young and untamed so we are allowed to act like bloodthirsty zealots. It's when we are pulling this same type of stunt as an enlightened nation that I start to bristle (see almost every other DG).

After Old Sarai falls, what city is the next priority, or will we split to take both targets at the same time?

What garrison will be left in Old Sarai, and then how will the remaining troops be allocated to the other two groups? I'd much prefer to see some general guidelines here other than "We'll determine that at the chat."

Finally, what's the plan if the Mongols don't want peace after we capture the three cities? Similarly, what should happen if any of the planned assaults fail?

Thanks,
-- Ravensfire

Hmm priority after Old Sarai...never gave it much thought but I would say that the eastern city inorder to seal off the lands to our east. However Trufan would make their city costs go up...hmmm any one have a suggestion. I like the eastern city as a tactical point of control over Germany also..

Garrison..the ax that takes the city unless I can get an extra archer..( there is one by BW but I need to check with governor Whomp since it was to be his).

I was planning on letting the DP decide how best to split the troop after Old Sarai based on what he seees in teh other 2 cities. If he isnt comfortable with that they could stop play. General guidelines would be...send 2 axes per "extra" archer you see. In other words if we attack with 4 axes against 3 archers we would need 2 more axes to make it my ratio of 2 axes per acher...1 sword per archer.

If they dont want peace we move everything but the garrisoning ax in each city towards the city west of Turfan and keep pillageing until they have nothign to pillage. BUT before that happens the TC will be over and we can reevaluate the situation.

As I said in reply to Strider..Old Sarai will not fail and its the primary objective. If the others go badly we will pull back and ask for peace. If all they have is archers..which is what it looks like..they can not project any sort of successful offensive war against us..our axes will tear them up in the open and our archers can protect our cities any attack from an archer.

any more questions...after I get my kids to nap I will add the troops needed that Strider requested.( an hour or so)

For Strider:
Timetable update...With all the cities building what they are building right now...We will be ready to fight with all unts in the correct position in 10 turns. Also if I count tiles correctly our scouting warrior can give a force estimate of Turfan and one of our axes can sneak a peak into the unknown city...therefore we will have the forces expected for all three of our purposed attack sites.

Production:
I do suggest that MG or BW continue building troops during the War to replace what we loss and to ensure if we do fail we will have defenses in place. Abydos MUST produce units since it is so close to the frontline. City 5 and Toot cannot be counted on to supply any troops for this war.

We could delay this a few turns if we would want to add in a few swords instead of axes or if the cities are more defended than we think.We could also limit ourselves to one of the other cities with one site somewheres between the 2 as a staging area.

SoS or intelligence might be better off to answer this. I frankly dont know. If they do we stop play and figure out what to do.

The chance of someone joining Mongolia in a war is so remote it's not something we should worry about. To join a war, most of the world leaders look for a power advantage, plus a negative opinion value. We're at "cautious" with everyone last time I checked. The other main trigger for sympathetic wars seems to be the requesting civ having something to offer, and Mongolia doesn't have anything of value.

I suggest writing up a final plan and timetable for war (recommended something like our units are in position and Old Sarai is size 2 or more) and asking the Censor to poll it.

The play session is set for Sunday afternoon (3pm Arizona=PDT, 2200 GMT).

Will do Dave. I will write it up tomorrow..and give it to the Censor.

OK using what Dave suggested....
Plans for war
Are written in post number 1 of this thread...slight modifications can be expected by the DP as the situation calls for.....targets of opportunity..workers and units in the open.
Timetable for starting the War
The War will not start before Old Sarai is size 2 AND before the troops are in position. Both of these conditions are expected before near the end of Daves TC. We could wait till the next TC as that is what I prefer in order to give this poll a full three days and not switch DPs between the critical first few turns of the war.

Top Bottom