1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Goblin Hunter

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Unit Graphics' started by Nomad or What, May 11, 2014.

1. Nomad or What

Nomad or What Wayfarer Supporter

EDIT: All Goblin units are now posted at this thread. Please post comments about any goblin units on the new discussion thread. :END EDIT

Goblin Hunter unit. Source art from Dragonia II mod. Uses Barbarian Hand-Axe animations so BNW expansion is necessary for this unit.

2. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

I'm telling you, these units are the biggest incentives I've had to buy BNW along with the Lord of the Rings mod and TPangolin's Australia. Could you include animations with some of your files to allow people like me to use them? I have G&K, but for people without either expansion including G&K animations would be good too.

3. Nomad or What

To be honest I don't even trifle with animations; I simply use the best available existing animations that work well for the new unit. In the case of the scout I wanted something that behaved less like the Civ V scout (with cape and staff) and more like the pathfinder unit which attacks with an axe and no shield. For the hunter I wanted a throwing axe, and the barbarian hand-axe unit behaves the way I required.

I simply rename the existing .fxsxml file from the unit which I just rigged with my mesh so I can skip doing animations entirely, which I find extremely time-consuming. It would actually be easier for me to re-rig the unit to match another existing unit's behavior than it would be to create custom animations. I am lazy whenever I can! :D

I may consider doing an alternate goblin recon unit line using warrior animations and keep the existing appearances as much as possible if there is enough demand for it.

4. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

You actually can do custom animations?!!! I've got to get you on Warhammer! All my units use existing animations, like most custom units actually. For the hunter, I'd suggest Danish Berserker animations because of the two axes.

5. Nomad or What

Didn't the Kraken that you made use custom animations? I haven't had much success with them to be honest; I am still pretty much dumbed down to the level of re-rigging existing units :sad:

Unfortunately the Beserker is a DLC, so I can't extract .gr2 and .fxsxml files for it, unless someone has found a way to do it.

6. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

The Kraken was a Civ4 unit, the animations were converted directly from civ4. I have since lost that ability (KFs won't import into Blender anymore despite my updating of my NIFscripts), and I can't think of anyone who can do civ5 animations, unless Danrell's chariots were made directly by him (but I think he just converted them from civ4). But if you can convert civ4 animations like in Deliverator's tutorial, then can you please help me? There are two sets of animations I need now.
    Re-rigging civ4 units is the usual way to convert them, animation converting is usually to hard.

7. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

These?

Attached Files:

8. Nomad or What

I have never been able to create custom animations for Civ V with success :sad:; I understand how to animate bones, timelines, and poses but for some reason the process of converting it into Civ V screws it up every time. If you look back at some of the discussions between Lemmy101, Ekmek, Deliverator, and many others, the effort to actually figure out just the Civ IV conversion process into Civ V started way back in 2010! So for someone as inexperienced as I to take a little existing knowledge of animations and try to apply it to this game is more or less a total crapshoot... :crazyeye: :eek: :confused: :badcomp:

I started programming in BASIC since I was a kid in the '80's on an Atari 800 and Commodore 64 and prefer A CLI over a GUI. I used AutoCAD, 3D Studio, and other softwares as a profession for over a decade. I know how to program and write scripts and I understand graphic software well - but when it comes to converting these *bleeping*:mad: units into Civ V I still can't figure half of this crap out and would be totally lost if not for these tutorials!!! :lol:

I have been trying for a day without success to convert Deliverator's Civ IV scorpion unit. Looked straightforward enough, and everything comes up beautifully into the Granny Viewer. I wrote the .fxsxml file and double-checked the syntax. Opened up Nexus and...nothing :confused:. Looked at everything again and double-checked for mis-spellings, etc. and then looked at it in Nexus - nothing :wallbash:. Opened it in-game and got the "aura of light" icon that looks like it just went up into Heaven - i.e., NOTHING! :ar15: So, I have given up for now and will try with another unit to see if I can figure out by trial and error. Before I can try to troubleshoot a failure I need the taste of success...and more beer. I'm totally out :eek:

9. Nomad or What

Whoa! Where do these come from? I didn't see them in the downloads from your thread; maybe I was querying for the wrong thing. That's what I get for not asking first...:blush:

I still think the barbarian Hand-Axe unit is more suitable for the goblin hunter tho - I really like the axe-throwing animations! :D But, I can DEFINITELY make use of this with another unit I have in mind... :mischief:

So, I am guessing that anyone can use units based from G&K, BNW, or DLC's even if they don't own them - all I need to do is add the source animation files for the unit in question as part of my mod. Awesome potential here!

Thanks again! :goodjob:

10. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

In the standard Resource/DX9 sub-dir after using Nexus to unpack all the .fpk files

11. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

But I don't think he has the Denmark DLC so he wouldn't have it anyway...
    And Nomad, did you assign textures in both Nexus Buddy and the fxsxml? If you have and you're still failing, attach a zip with ALL your scorpion files, fxsxmls and textures are easy enough for me once the unit looks fine in granny viewer. One question though, did the scorpion animations work in granny?

12. Nomad or What

Scorpions are a success! WOOT!

The problem was...scale. They were scaled so small in Blender that they wouldn't even appear in Nexus or in-game. I had to scale it 200x larger in order for it to work. Animations wouldn't work after re-scaling, so I had to take the original clean.nif, attach each animation and scale every one 200x, export to .dxf and then finally it worked. What a pain in the arse!!!

13. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

Great!

Just a question though. What happens if this unit is given a melee attack? Does it use ranged animation? (I've never tested this for any units, so I don't know the answer even for base ranged units.)

14. Nomad or What

Ummmm...not sure, but it is identical to what happens to a hand-axe barbarian when it receives a melee attack since it uses that animation set. Not a precise answer, but it's all I've got at the moment... :D

15. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

I'll try it out and let you know. I think I'm about 3 or 4 days away from adding all your goblins.

16. Nomad or What

More goblins comin'! I still need to do the ranger. That unit is tricky though because in combat it behaves like a swordsman but it has a cape that moves just as the Civ V scout unit does. I am trying to intermix the .fxsxml file with both swordsman and scout actions (scout to run, for example) so that I can take advantage of the cape bones that the scout uses to get the cloak to flow when moving. Otherwise, when the ranger attacks the cape won't move, which will look crappy. I might have to skip worrying about it and see if I can have an expert figure it out once it is in-game.

Also forthcoming (in no particular order):

Goblin Arquebus
    Goblin Shaman
    Goblin Sorcerer
    Goblin Druid
    Goblin Worker
    Goblin Settler
    Goblin Swordsman (warrior upgrade, uses leather armor)
    Goblin Champion (Swordsman upgrade, uses chain armor & skullcap)
    Goblin Spider Rider (upgrade from the wolf rider)

If a request for one is urgent I will focus on doing it first. Enjoy!

17. Nomad or What

So apparently I do have these files; when I queried for them I misspelled berserker and typed "beserker" instead. Another case of the dumbass is solved... :blush: