God damn this game is good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luckystrike77

Prince
Played Civ 5 for 240 hours now, and played the series from 1991. Despite some bugs, and a few issues here and there, I must say this is clearly the best vanilla CIV ever.

I remember the days I played Civ 1 and Civ 2, and yes, no game will ever give the same magical feeling I felt those days. But I remember what visions I had for Civ. I played a game called Panzer General those days too, and I got the thought; how awesome wouldn't it be to implement this battle system for the Civ-series, and now, 15 years later my dream has become reality.

I remember when Civ 3 came out, and how I realy liked bombardment from units being introduced, and how disapointed I was about the suicidal catapults in Civ 4, but all in all I loved both games. Civ 4 vanilla had a lot of interesting new features as well, but I felt it missed alot I liked about Civ 3. After 2 expansions of Civ4, bombardment was the only thing I missed from Civ3.... ;)

Now Civ 5. So many great solutions on many of the "problems" the civ-series have had. No more superstacks of doom, no more instantly raized cities, no more overpowered tech trading (abusing the AI or destroying multiplayer), no more abuse of knowing the mathematics of AI relations. We also have the most interesting concept of culture to date, the greatest game mechanic for golden ages, city states are introduced with intresting impacts on gameplay, the terrain is finally decisive in warfare, swamps are back, the maps looks stunning, the auto generated maps make more interesting maps then ever before and more realistic maps at the same time.

I also have my complaints, but they are on some small details here and there. Some of them unbalances the game too, in my opinion, but damn, this is things that can be easely improved. Even the terrible multiplayer lobby can be improved, and some other mp issues we have. I will not mention my concerns here. My point is that too many people in these threads seems so focused on all the small negative things that they forget to see the big picture. This game is really awesome, and a true incarnation of the previous games. Firaxis has moved in the right direction with alot of things here, they have not dumbed the game down.

The patches and expansions will without any doubts make this the king of all Civilization games. I'm a believer, and to Shafer; you are a genious! :)

It's almost like this is a pretty good game that suffers from being released too soon and following in the footsteps of one of the greatest games of all time.

I like it too. Let's see how long it takes for people who hate the game to come into this thread to ridicule people who actually enjoy it...

**too late, look at post #2 above**

I forgot to mention that exploration has never been so fun and interesting as it is now. The way barbarians work, the city states, the natural wonders, the awesome terrain etc. Need I say more?

(I just wish units couldn't upgrade from spearmen to pikemen from ruins........)

I remember when Civ 3 came out, and how I realy liked bombardment from units being introduced, and how disapointed I was about the suicidal catapults in Civ 4, but all in all I loved both games. Civ 4 vanilla had a lot of interesting new features as well, but I felt it missed alot I liked about Civ 3. After 2 expansions of Civ4, bombardment was the only thing I missed from Civ3.... ;)

You know that bombardment was in Civ 4 right? If you're sending catapults on suicide missions I would argue that you are not planning your attack properly.

You know that bombardment was in Civ 4 right? If you're sending catapults on suicide missions I would argue that you are not planning your attack properly.

Well, bombardment of cities excisted, but that was all.... No real bombardment of units in the field or between ships, like in civ 3 and 5. I should now, have played Civ4 since it came out for thousands of hours, and I loved the game.

Well, to take a city easiest, first you bombard, then on the next turn you suicide your catapults. still pretty dumb...

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. :)

I couldn't agree more. This is actually one amazing f.ing game. Last night I played to 6am, just to get that one more turn... :)

However, the problems are not negliable. This has clearly been a beta release. My dx9 doesn't work. Dx10/11 insist on playing dx11 mode, even though my card only support dx10. That really sucks as everything is just very very slow.

Oh and the ai, the .. the ... and the .. I heartily recommend buying this game sometime in the spring when the initial bugs have been setled :)

Properly promoted siege weapons could easily survive combat.

But catapults aren't weapons you should be throwing at the enemy anyway. It doesn't make sense that the most effective ways to use siege weapons are to suicide stacks, doing extreme amounts of collateral while damaging the unit.

But catapults aren't weapons you should be throwing at the enemy anyway. It doesn't make sense that the most effective ways to use siege weapons are to suicide stacks, doing extreme amounts of collateral while damaging the unit.

If you read my previous posts, you would see that I was arguing against using suicide catapult attacks. I only ever use my siege to bombard city defenses and then maybe use 1 to cause collateral.
My point is that anyone who sends catapults on suicide missions is not planning their attack well at all.

Moderator Action: Just as prevention: Don't forget, trolling and flames are not allowed. If you can't follow these rules, then don't post.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

And i'm happy that people are having fun with the game :).

Whilst I too am happy that some people are having fun with Civ 5, and judging from the thread themes on this site they are not a vast majority, my personal feeling is that the last two words of this thread's title should be omitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom