1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

God damn this game is good

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Luckystrike77, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoxerNL

JoxerNL Warlord

read what i wrote again.
    Sorry but im not going after the "bait".

2. Jharii

Jharii King

Same here. I find it a worthy successor to Civ4. I fully expect to play it for years to come.

3. TheBlackHole

TheBlackHole Chieftain

I love this game... and yet I'm also disappointed that it's not as good (IMO) as Civ4 BTS. And those two facts are not mutually exclusive. Could Civ5 be better? Yes. Without question. But nevertheless, I'm still enjoying it heartily.

4. ShuShu62

ShuShu62 Warlord

I ran a poll a couple weeks ago that showed pretty clearly that claiming civ 5 did not target civ 4 fans or civilization fans is as false in practice as in interpretation. One of every 3 players who thought Civ 4 is the best in the series, thought Civ V was a good game.

The same poll also showed that Everyone (with rare exception) who did not think civ 4 was the best in the series, thought civ 5 is a good game.

So, while it is very clear that there is a large portion of the civilization fanbase who do not enjoy the game, it does not follow that the reason is because the designers did not care about or ignored the existing fanbase.

5. vandyr

vandyr Prince

Man, you nailed down my thoughts exactly. :goodjob:

6. vandyr

vandyr Prince

Meh...greatest empire manager (debatable) of the civ series, but I'm going to go with dead last in the series for the war and combat aspect. Everything about conquest in Civ IV was bad, from SoD to ******** siege weapon mechanics. Civ III and Civ V are the best in the series to me for all around gameplay.

7. Jediron

Jediron Prince

The diffenerce between Civ 5 and the older ones are bigger then ever. Some will like it, some will hate it or just not LOVE it. I am with the latter category. Civ 5 also attracts people, who never before liked civ games; that alone tells you CIv 5 is different then others.

8. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

I was joking, see the smiley? You did say "once they got the problems ironed out," which is past tense; that was my point.

Anyway, don't wanna muck up a positive thread. Like I said, I'm glad many people are enjoying it. :goodjob:

9. ShuShu62

ShuShu62 Warlord

10. wurstburst

wurstburst Prince

The OP makes some good points about improvements to the game. I too am happy to see stacks of doom disappear, the end of instantly razed cities and the end of tech trading. 1UPT, slow razing and research agreements are all big winners in my book.

I do miss the old culture wars, but social policies are a pretty good substitute.

All in all, a good game. When modders get moving on this, there's going to be some even better stuff, for sure.

11. Kryhavok

Kryhavok Chieftain

Yay, a praise thread! I was seriously about to give up on this forum from all the negativity. I guess all the people that like the game have just been busy playing it instead of talking about it here :)

I agree with OPs points. Sure there are a few balance issues and tweaks needed, but overall it's a pretty damn good game. I'm impressed with how fast Firaxis rolled out the first patch and how many issues it addressed, it just shows that they're dedicated to improving it and listening to community concerns.

12. PickledDictator

PickledDictator Warlord

i would hope that it looks better graphically, since major leaps and bounds have been made since the previous version and certainly since civ i came out.

cod modern warfare was a great game graphically and gameplay wise for a fps, now we have mw2 which is graphically superior and has many changes which people think are better and some which are destabilizing....

bottom line, you can never fully compare a game to its previous releases b/c most new versions implement something which takes the game in a new direction.

ciV is a nice game to look at, has great music, and interesting new directions which it has taken, some awesome, some leaving me shaking my head going omg what were they thinking. Those things are subjective, the garbage ai is not...its horrible and the game mechanics while interesting in their own right, are not implemented in a way which leads to balanced gaming.

this is the problem with ciV and despite wanting to be optimistic about what patches may or may not do in the future, its hard to fix crappy ai. A crappy ai will ruin an otherwise interesting and enjoyable experience.

13. Fluxx

Fluxx Mr. Almost There

I like the new civ too :)
    It is obvious there need to be made some tweaks and changes here and there, but the core is very solid and innovative in a good way.

Just sit out the AI tweaks and number tweaks, and I can see this game being as good as all the predecessors.

14. joyous_gard

joyous_gard Prince

15. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

Like. Like. Like. Like

16. bananamana

bananamana Chieftain

agreed

17. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

what dx 10 gpu do you have? for some reason nvidia dx 10 cards, esp gtx 2x0 series, seem to suffer quite a bit. play in dx10/11 mode but turn down tessalation to low and you should see some improvements. I tried playing dx9 codepath with my gtx 460 and it was quite a bit slower in fact than in dx 11 mode.

18. HisDivineShadow

HisDivineShadow Chieftain

At first, I wasn't very sure about it. But now I've played it for many hours, I love it. :)

19. TommyVern

TommyVern Chieftain

@OP..

I fully agree! It's really great to see someone supporting the game and saying how much they enjoy it. For too long this forum has been full of QQers and whiners, posting about how Firaxis has 'betrayed' them.

Here's an idea... Firaxis: Probably NOT trying to destroy the Civilization franchise.

20. Viniloss

Viniloss Chieftain

Poor guy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.