1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

God damn this game is good

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Luckystrike77, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vordeo

Vordeo King

Same here.

2. Sock Bramson

Sock Bramson Chieftain

Here's another chunk of love for CiV, especially now that more scenarios are starting to float around. (all due props to the individual map-crafters as well)

3. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

Oh well, then I would argue that if you're not enjoying Civ 5 then you're not playing it right.

Give me a break. Bombardment was very, very broken in Civ 4.

Come on folks, a lot of us have issues with Civ 5, but the more I listen to you people, the more I think you're the delusional ones who are romanticizing Civ 4. It was not perfect...not when it was vanilla, not even when BtS was added on. Corporations were stupid and a late-game distraction. Diplomacy remained a matter of a few pluses and minuses. Spies might as well have been called mosquitoes. Religion was poorly implemented, except it got further broken by adding a lame early-game UN. I could go on.

The point is: all of that sucked about Civ 4 and it was still one hell of a fun game.

Civ 5 has a lot of flaws, too, but it's still addictive as all get out.

4. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

1 out of 3 showed pretty clear? As in 33%? In any topic I would say at least 3 out of 4 is needed to say "it's pretty clear", and that would still only be 75%

And by the way, I was one of thos 1 out of 3. The problem is, the more I play civ5 the less I like it. It's not I'm finding new things I don't like. It's just, I don't know, I get bored. When it first got released, I already saw it's flaws, and still thought it was very good. But after some weeks, I surprised myslef switching to other games after some turns into civ5.

5. Padje Dog

Padje Dog Warlord

I like you can change the title of the thread to:

Is this God damn game good?

6. troytheface

troytheface Deity

yes, ol civ man as well and having a great time and only used two civs and about half the social things and i think i have played about 46 months worth of hours or something

7. Bob1475

Bob1475 Prince

I am glad someone else is saying there are positives. Yes there are problems but I believe there will be patches and expansions. I like the basic ideas and it if fun.

8. letsdance

letsdance Chieftain

i really like the new system for units. it seems though, that the upkeep is somewhat problematic, or i didn't yet understand how to make enough money - or maybe you need certain socials for that. i don't know. i just know that maintaining any serious number of units doesn't seem to work. i think one problem is that with higher number of units they would just blockade each other. it would probably be better if each space would be divided in subspaces for the purpose of units only. so that you can have a melee unit in front and an archer in the back, both on the same space.

embarking doesn't seem to work either. the idea is nice, but it should be possible to protect them. with the low number of units in the game you can't get enough ships to surround them.

i love the new (global) system for happiness, socials, great people. though i miss the good old revolutions and state forms. this should have been additional.

i like that i can play with low city and unit numbers. city states are also nice, but they make gold too important.

what i really miss is the option to raze/sell a building and to take some influence on puppet states (they don't produce enough gold, and it sucks when they start a wonder that i wanted to build much faster elsewhere). it should be possible to forbid them wonder building, or certain buildings in general, for example.

all in all it seems to me that many points would have needed more testing and balancing. but the new things that they did are all very good ideas.

9. spider1

spider1 Prince

I like CIV V a lot. I would much rather play V than IV. But like everything else on this planet, some don't like it. Big deal, that'll never change.

10. Kruelgor

Kruelgor Emperor

I agree the POTENTIAL is great. As far as modding is concerned they left out some CRITICAL components. For example, you can't create 2D leaderheads without instructing the game player to edit some files on his own. Custom made civilizations appear as a question mark on the selection menu. There's a lot of common sense stuff missing with modding altogether.

They can learn some lessons with PS3's Little Big Planet, for sure.

I rate the modding aspect of the game a C-

11. markh

markh Deity

I am playing Civ since Civ I and I have to admit that this game is the most disappointing of the series. I really like the combat system in Civ 5, but I am struggling to find a good reason why they haven't incorporated the many of the other great things they have done with Civ IV. Do not misunderstand me, the combat system in Civ IV was rubbish and I did not really care about religion and espionage and corporations, but, these things kept you thinking about the game and even if you did not like it, you had to think about how to deal with these things. Now there is plenty of hitting "NEXT TURN" and nothing else. I do not understand why people always say that one have to compare vanilla Civ IV to vanilla Civ 5. Why ? The guys at Firaxis knew about the AI they developped for Civ IV BTS, so they had a reference. I mean you do not compare Windows 7 to the original Windows, do you ?

12. Derax

Derax Chieftain

I really like the new changes they have made (i.e combat, fileds, animated leaders) but I also dislike that they radically have put away a lot what I loved about civ 4 (i.e religion,culture, espionage, no scenarios at all).

Combinating both would be awesome, but now it is only a simplifeid civ and that's why I am partly pissed . :D

// Implenting the mod download section was a great idea but maybe they should have released a game where modders know where to start :p

13. K2DK

K2DK Chieftain

One thing though. I sometimes thinks its more panzer general than civ. In fact, I think the battle system is exactly the same as in panzer general. But I miss the civ part.

I find myself playing games ignoring technology, granaries and a lot of other things that are classic civ.

A couple of complaints:

1. Tiles doesn't really matter.
    2. Improvements doesn't really matter
    3. Techs doesn't really matter
    4. Culture doesn't really matter
    5. Buildings doesn't really matter
    6. Even most wonders doesnt really matter.

Everything is just incremental upgrades of no real significanse. Perhaps a more steep exponential expansion of things is what is needed? Wow is great in that regard :)

14. charon2112

charon2112 King

Can you elaborate a bit here? How do these things not matter? These are all the key concepts of the game.

15. Jediron

Jediron Prince

What just cam up by me, is that you can only build buildings or build units at any given moment in CIV, all CIV. This alone is so silly; it's like; wait, stop contructing people, we need troops now, come on!

Anyway, i also don't understand why they, the makers, allow you to setup the game so that you end up with one giant trip of dullnes. I mean, i tried it more then once, but playing a huge map on Marathon speed is so utterly boring. Why make it possible to set the game up like that goes beyond my mind. Do they really think it is funny ?

16. spider1

spider1 Prince

You know something, whatever. Don't Care. It's late Friday evening and I'm fixing to make a pot of coffee and play a new game of Civ V. Other than that, it's all nit picking. It's a good game with it's own set of faults like all the others.

17. King_Course

King_Course Prince

Seems to me those trolls are running out of good material by now. Maybe they should go on a one-more-time-for-my-own-sake tour. Best of the late septembers.

18. charon2112

charon2112 King

sounds like my Friday nights... :)

19. Jediron

Jediron Prince

O right, just because i think something ain't right, i get those comments. Well, its plain dumb.
    Cities, even in the ancient, were capable enough to build a army AND construct buidings at the SAME time. It makes sence, doesn't it ?

That's why you see exactly THAT in alot of other games, TW, Ages of Empires, WOW etc.etc.

You can ignore that, and still believe its a good game, thats your right. That does NOT say that i don't have a valid point. Anyway, you'll need a open mind to look at things, like this. It's a typical CIV mechanic, not only Civ 5 but all CIV's and i think it makes no sence.

Just as it makes no sence, that you can SETUP marathon on a huge map; the only thing you get from it is a very, dull and boring game. I don't mind they give you TON's of options "how to play the game"; i DO mind giving you options, which do the game more harm then good. How silly of me :crazyeye:

You and I and every one else know Island maps are awfull, it ruins the game. Why ?
    Because the Dev's are incompetent to make something challenging of it. Again; they give you options, that do the game more harm then good. I just notive those flaws, and if you are not ignorant or biased, you should see them too. Thank the DEV's for bringing this up.

And no, CIV 5 does NOT have "a set of flaws like others". CIV 5 have serious flaws, CIV 5 have many more flaws then "others".

20. Billy Bob Joe

Billy Bob Joe Chieftain

Well, I've seen people complain that Civ V has too few options. And now I see someone complaining that Civ V has too many options. Firaxis is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.