1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

God i hate when this happens

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by henyo10, Jun 5, 2008.

1. henyo10

henyo10 Warlord

when some AI becomes a smart ass (especially Allied ones) who put cities in cracks of your cultural borders and thus most of the time i lose my resources or land because of such occurence. Is there any way to counter this for an Allied AI?

2. oranges

oranges Prince

Take them over with your own culture? Your established cities should not have a problem dominating the area culturally.
    The only way to prevent it is not to sign open borders.

3. henyo10

henyo10 Warlord

The thing is i evenly spread my cities so that i dont suffocate the land out of each city and because of this my culture can be quite spread out leaving cracks of neutral land in between. This is friendly allies or PA, if they were rival civs i would gladly destoy such cities.

4. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

No, let em build cities. If they are within your cultural borders, send your missionary there, and watch the city flip to you.

5. henyo10

henyo10 Warlord

Same religion with the city... and same team. Even though i ask the city from them i cant disband it.

6. Jimmyballz

Jimmyballz Executive

Send a spy on a mission to "spread culture," or use a great artist to culturebomb a nearby city?

7. Kesshi

Kesshi Emperor

henyo10,

You are utilizing strategy X and the computer is countering it with strategy Y. Do you complain when the AI counters your chariots with spears? You have poor city spacing and the AI is exploiting this.

8. MonRiverMonarch

MonRiverMonarch Oar Master

It does seem like cities flip easier in BtS than in any other version of Civ that I've played. Culture Bomb seems a lot more powerful too. Or, maybe I'm just getting luckier.

9. CharmzOC

CharmzOC Chieftain

Yeah.This is easily one of the most annoying things that the AI does, heaven knows nobody but monty declares war on any of the easier difficulties and even at that its usually not difficult to overcome the meager invasion force. That said i usually just use this as a reason to declare war but if that is not an option for you then i would definitely recommend rush to Music (lit maybe???, whichever one gives you the free artist) and then culture bomb the nearest city. Or you should build up your espionage points and use your spy's influence culture ability. Realistically, even if you do nothing, the city will be yours by the late game. Overwhelming cultural influence will eventually overcome its original allegiance

10. alamo

alamo bang!

If there's a crack then it's fair game. If the land is good enough then you should settle it, otherwise just let them have a bad city.

11. pxpdoo

pxpdoo Ninja Burger Fry Cook

Well heck, this is one of my favorite strategies AGAINST the AI, and they sure as Hell try it against me, if I let them... :lol:

12. Willem

Willem Deity

It sounds to me like you're spacing your cities too far apart. I've never had any problems with the AI getting in between two of them like that. And if they do, so what? Just build more culture than they do and flip the city.

13. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

If you're building 5 spaces apart there shouldn't be any room for the AI to do this...5 spaces apart is a little bit much, too.

14. Willem

Willem Deity

5 spaces is actually optimal. That means you'll be using every tile in between the two cities by the end of the game, with none wasted. However, setting your cities 4 tiles apart is usually good enough since it will take a long time before you end up using all that space. And I've found that with the way the resources are placed on the map, 4 tiles seems to be optimal in order to get them all. I quite often need to move a city a little closer to another in order to get some resource within the BFC. I always do it in a way that they share as few tiles as possible though. Never more than two and preferably only one.

15. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Actually it isn't. The best arragement without overlapping BFC ( both in less wasted area as in distance to capital ) is one where every city has 4 cities 4 tiles away.

16. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

Try this: build 10 axemen and 20 catapults. Take this stack o death to the ai's first 4 cities, capture them and let him keep the cities he put in the cracks of your empire. Then you do the old "python attacking a boar trick:" in all the surrounding cities you want to put up monuments, monasteries, temples, theaters, libraries, and universities. That will teach that son of a biscuit to settle in your cracks!!!