1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

God & Kings Screenshot Analysis

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Camikaze, Feb 16, 2012.

1. steave435

steave435 Chieftain

Yeah, you get to choose what you spend it on. Do you buy military units with it? Or economic beliefs? Or maybe militaristic or science beliefs? Maybe there'll even be some economy units to buy.

2. Carl5872

Carl5872 Prince

WERE there any atheist civilizations?

3. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Chieftain

Well, wasn't USSR an "athiest" nation at one point?

4. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Modern nations can be secular or atheist, but it doesn't make sense to build the entire game around.

I'd also point out that even officially atheist nations aren't really atheist. Even the Soviet Union had a back and forth relationship with the Orthodox church rather than straight oppression.

5. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Yes, this applied to pretty much all the communist nations. But I would agree with Louis that the atheism was in official name only; the religions didn't go away.

6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I was contemplating about whether they would put atheistic Beliefs into the religion system. There are non-supernatural philosophies that can be used as such. Humanism, for instance. Darwinism could be included as a pro-science Belief. There could be Beliefs that could go with a theistic or athiestic religion. Maybe something that allows monestaries to give science or a Belief that gives a cost discount to universities and public schools. Gregor Mendel was a monk, after all, and many universities were founded to teach theology.

7. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Case in point: as I understand it, Confuciansim is a philosophy, and not really a religion.

8. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Well that's confusing proscience beliefs (in game) with atheistic beliefs.

If you want to play an "atheistic" civ you can go with one of two approaches

1. Make your own religion and rename it (name it Atheism if you like) and choose beliefs that you feel fit

2. Go 'secular'... Never adopt a State religion [if that is an option]. Don't use Piety/build religious buildings. Ue al your "faith" for non religious things (as well as all your hammers and gold).

It might be even more possible now.. possibly you can go up the cultural buildings without building Temples and Monasteries.

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Right. What I was proposing would give you the capacity to make an atheistic "religion", thereby giving you the benefits of the Religion System without having to dedicate yourself to a deity. Which is pretty much your item 1.

10. Carl5872

Carl5872 Prince

To say a nation's official stance is atheist is misleading. USSR was full of Christians and Jews. The religion shapes the culture of the people, and influenced those in power (for better or worse).

I honestly can't think of one example of a civilization that does not have a religion.

11. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

I certainly agree. To allow the player to totally avoid any religious systems or buildings might be an attractive choice for an atheist player, but it has no basis in history.

12. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

I'm tired of hearing all this "atheists can play without religions" stuff.
    Being an atheist myself, it really doesn't bother me that they added religion, nor would I play without it.

13. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

True however, some people like to play with their preferred concept for a civ. (never using Slavery in Civ4 for example)

It might be suboptimal, but it is viable and an interesting way to play.

(You probably would have to deal with the fact that religion might still spread in your civ, but you could avoid any active part in "your people's delusion" until you are able to reeducate them)

14. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

I agree with this.

Atheist as well. :)

15. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Chieftain

I second that, ironically enough, I am buying this expansion primarily because of the religion xD (did I finally used the word "ironic" correctly?

16. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

Seems odd. I despise slavery in real life, but it got stuff done in CivIV :lol:

17. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I don't think the comments are directed at people who feel your way, but people who are adamant that religion should not be in because they are atheist. People who recognize it was an important part of history are fine, no matter the extent they disagree with it are fine. The feature will be just as fun for them as with others.

18. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

What I'd like to know is if there will be secular states possible, and free religion sort of thing

19. fat_tonle

fat_tonle Chieftain

I was cussing at my computer screen when my missionaries weren't converting other cities in Civ IV.... yelling bigoted statements... I mean it is what it is.

People killed each other for different religious beliefs throughout history. I don't mind living vicariously among people who lived in those times through a computer game. Your personal beliefs should have nothing to do with it. If you have to kill the Christian people or Muslim people or Jewish people in your game, or whatever religion... you have to kill them. No offense...

20. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I would hope so, at some point. Lack of an official state religion is just as important part of history as having one to begin with.