1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

God Slay'd

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by DarkxL0rd, Aug 28, 2009.

1. DarkxL0rd

DarkxL0rd Warlord

well i won a domination victory on final five with the illians, played extra 160(2 hours) turns just so i could ascend auric and add it to my trophy room. very first stack he attacked had a beastmaster with... you guessed it. i felt perturbed a bit. if this had happened in a MP game i woulda been a little more upset.

2. GIR

GIR It'sNotStupidIt'sAdvanced

3. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

Bwahahaha. :D
    If I ever play the Illians to get Auric Ascended, I'm going to be paranoid about attacking anything. :p

4. Keeper_GFA

Keeper_GFA Prince

Why attack with him at all? You're just taking experience away from your other units who can buy promotions.

5. JeffSteel

JeffSteel Warlord

Indeed, think of Auric Ascended as the latest in mobile artillery. His mobility allows for excellent positioning, place him on a peak or off the coast if possible. Soften up a cities defenses with his snowfall (which is uber compared to the version the high priests of winter get) then send in the troops. If sheer destruction is what is important, soften up a stack with your preists of winters snowfall or whatever ese you got, then use Auric's snowfall, which will kill a good percentage of the units outright. I've outright killed hundreds of units in a single cast of Auric's snowfall when last I used him to assualt a good civ fortified on another continent with Basium as his ally, so many of those units I had to kill twice.

6. DarkxL0rd

DarkxL0rd Warlord

Oh i don't know, the mere fact that i spent 2 hours just to see him in action!

7. WCH

WCH Prince

As JeffSteel says, don't think of him as an attacking unit... he's not very good at it, tends to die easy that way. And because he doesn't gain XP there's no point. His spell is ridiculously powerful though, and his high strength means he's going to be pretty hard for the enemy to drive off.

8. Feyd Rautha

Feyd Rautha Prince

So I'm guessing Godslayer doesn't show up on the promotions list? Interesting... makes attacking with him at all not that appealing.

9. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

Can anyone confirm this? I don't think anyone said it doesn't show up on the promotions list. I see no reason for it not to.

10. FireBlaze

FireBlaze King

I would think that the +1000% against avatar would be there too.

11. Kael

Kael Deity

It isn't hidden and the +1000% shows up in the combat odds.

12. DarkxL0rd

DarkxL0rd Warlord

it wasnt hidden i just didnt look. to eager

13. Mailbox

Mailbox King

As others have said, Auric is a great artillery unit with the strength to break a single unit every now and again. The best way to use him is with Ice III Archmages or High Priests of Winter casting snowfall first then following up with his Snowfall, then attacking with your stack if there is anything left. Also I haven't tried this but would guardsman protect Auric from the Godslayer? I don't think that it would but then again I'm blanking on how exactly Guardsman works so I don't know.

14. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

Something I discovered recently. The Godslayer is hardcoded to always win. That +1000% vs avatar is pretty much just for show. If auric takes on someone holding the godslayer, he dies regardless of the outcome. Even if you give it to a worker or a scout.

15. Emptiness

Emptiness []

The bonus vs Avatar guarantees that the unit with Godslayer will defend against Auric, so that the unit with it protects its stack from him.

16. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Personally, I'd much prefer it if promotions could have the <UnitClassTargets>, <UnitCombatTargets>, <UnitClassDefenders>, and <UnitCombatDefenders> tags, and especially if similar <PromotionTargets>, and <PromotionDefenders> tags were added too. That way, you could could make Marksmen have spells that let them switch out different promotions to target different units, rather than only going for the weakest. The Netherblade could also target Heros, and the Godslayers Avatars. You could get rid of the bonus vs Avatar and hide the promotion so that it is nearly impossible to know what unit could slay your god (well, apart from the magic immunity and extra strength.)

Would it be too much to make it so that The Godslayer could slay Auric Ascended without even an actual battle if and when he casts Snowfall_greater within range of the unit bearing the weapon?

17. Mailbox

Mailbox King

Yes it would.

18. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

quick question: if a unit has the godslayer and attacks a huge illian stack with Auric Ascended present, will Auric defend and die?

19. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

The Avatar promotion weighs him heavily to defend first and his base strength makes him defend sooner too, so it would be very unlikely for another unit to take the fall for him.

20. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

sure, but shouldn't that -1000% mean that other strong units ( possibly with guardsman ) are going to defend?