Gods and Kings Mac

I believe Ignatius is referring to the popular urban legend that the cooling systems of Macs are uncontrolled in Windows and rely solely on intel's inbuilt safety mechanisms. This only used to be the case where the bootcamp drivers weren't installed correctly but has somehow achieved the status of dogma on the internet.

I just boot into Mac, and turn up my fans a little before booting into Windows. However, if I push it harder (and Rift sometimes does) I'll hear my fans pick up a bit, even under Win 7.

Steam pre-order for G&K has both the symbols for windows and mac.
Does that mean that G&K will be available on Mac on release day?

Steam pre-order for G&K has both the symbols for windows and mac.
Does that mean that G&K will be available on Mac on release day?

I suspect an administration error on steam's side of things.

A comment from Ryan would be appreciated at the point...

I suspect an administration error on steam's side of things.

A comment from Ryan would be appreciated at the point...

I think its too optimistic to hope that Ryan is going to turn up and say something like..

"I couldn't tell you this earlier because at the time we didn't know if we would be able to actually bring you a simultaneous release and were expecting a short delay to finish off the Mac code but I can now confirm due to Firaxis actually wanting to bring the Mac version to you guys as quickly as possible, they have been working closely with us and have allowed our engineers access to the game code and have been able to keep on top of the porting to be able to bring you a simultaneous release and hence were able to inform Steam that they can advertise Steamplay and we will be adding a boxed version to our store for pre-order in the next few days and a Mac App Version shortly after .... SURPRISE!!!!!!!"

More than likely though just a disappointing and hope dashing mistake on steams part.

I think its too optimistic to hope that Ryan is going to turn up and say something like..

"I couldn't tell you this earlier because at the time we didn't know if we would be able to actually bring you a simultaneous release and were expecting a short delay to finish off the Mac code but I can now confirm due to Firaxis actually wanting to bring the Mac version to you guys as quickly as possible, they have been working closely with us and have allowed our engineers access to the game code and have been able to keep on top of the porting to be able to bring you a simultaneous release and hence were able to inform Steam that they can advertise Steamplay and we will be adding a boxed version to our store for pre-order in the next few days and a Mac App Version shortly after .... SURPRISE!!!!!!!"

More than likely though just a disappointing and hope dashing mistake on steams part.

I too would be surprised, but I did get this reply from Aspyr on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/aspyrmedia/status/204592469596323841

Or, more likely, I'll pop in and say that I still don't have a release date to tell you folks yet. However, it being Steamplay is a fairly safe assumption, since the base game was.

I imagine it'd be pretty cruel to not let Mac players take advantage of the preorder.

Honestly, the timetable for porting the game quick would be so tight that we wouldn't know until days before the official release if we would be able to do a simultaneous ship.

Thanks for popping by and commenting, Ryan, and please convey my thanks in advance to the team.

It's good to hear that your guys are working hard on the port and that a release date that's close to that of the Windows version isn't completely out of the question. I assume this means that Aspyr is getting access to the necessary resources in a more timely manner these days and that can only be good for all concerned.

This is indeed good news. I play on both my MacBook, my iMac, and my iMac booted into Windows via bootcamp.

I found that it plays very well on my iMac in Lion. It plays terrible on my MacBook... small maps, all lowest settings, but it plays. It only plays well on Windows when I run it in DirectX 9. I found this out from some people on this board.

I preordered. Good stuff.

I too would be surprised, but I did get this reply from Aspyr on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/aspyrmedia/status/204592469596323841

I continued your conversation with them on twitter just to make sure I understood the economics of it. Basically, if you preorder, and there ends up being a gap between Win and OS X release, so you play in bootcamp while you wait, Aspyr doesn't get paid. (2K does.) It's all about what you play it on most in the first week.

They also didn't believe there would be that much of a gap, if there was one at all.

If your are using a MBP for your bootcamp'ed CivV, it will just overheat and go into thermal shutdown.

I've played it on my Bootcamp and had no issues at all. I play Rift on my Win 7 partition, too, w/o overheating.

I play Civ IV with the AC mod, can't remember the name on my Win 7 partition, and played Civ V on there while the patches were waiting for months for Mac to catch up.

I will say the Mac version played as smoothly as the Windows version for me, high graphics and all.

New 2012 Ivy Bridge iMac and CiV Gods and Kings around the same date? A guy can dream...enough to make you wish both were dropping in January, not June.

New 2012 Ivy Bridge iMac and CiV Gods and Kings around the same date? A guy can dream...enough to make you wish both were dropping in January, not June.

You can dream.. for me it's more like a nightmare. Most of us thought the new iMacs would be out before Diablo III .. and watching my 2007 iMac chug on it is not a pretty sight.

Mine arrived this morning, but of course I am stuck at work until late. Hoping for a quick release of G&K on Mac.

I'm getting mine next week I think. Does anyone know what the best way to get one is? What payment options do they offer online? I heard that there are already 2-3 weeks of backlogged online orders. Would I have a better chance of getting one in store?

I'm getting mine next week I think. Does anyone know what the best way to get one is? What payment options do they offer online? I heard that there are already 2-3 weeks of backlogged online orders. Would I have a better chance of getting one in store?

I have heard a few stores have them. If you have one nearby it might be worth giving them a call and save the shipping. I ordered mine online after the Keynote when they were saying ships in 5-7 days, and I got it in 3. YMMV.

If you are planning to customize the order, you may need to order online. I think they only accept credit cards, but not sure. I always use mine. They do have financing, but never tried to do that.

Alrighty, thanks for that info.

Also, I know it comes with 8GB of RAM standard but you can get it with 16GB for an extra $200. I can't imagine why I would need any more than 8GB since I'm not a professional photographer or video editor or whatever, so I'm planning on going with the base model. Smart idea? The only reason I'm even considering getting the 16GB is because the RAM isn't upgradable and I'm somewhat sacred I might regret not getting the 16GB when the computer's a bit older and 16GB start to become the standard amount of RAM.

Thoughts?

Alrighty, thanks for that info.

Also, I know it comes with 8GB of RAM standard but you can get it with 16GB for an extra $200. I can't imagine why I would need any more than 8GB since I'm not a professional photographer or video editor or whatever, so I'm planning on going with the base model. Smart idea? The only reason I'm even considering getting the 16GB is because the RAM isn't upgradable and I'm somewhat sacred I might regret not getting the 16GB when the computer's a bit older and 16GB start to become the standard amount of RAM.

Thoughts?

That was my exact reasoning.

Top Bottom