1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gods and Kings slow loading times

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by JamesCivFan, May 18, 2013.

1. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan King

Hello, I have searched the forums, but only found a few old threads about it.

Long story short, I used to run CiV G&K normally on my laptop, until last November, where I took a long break from it. Coming back now, I noticed extremely slow loading times, both in the first loading screen (timed: 2 mins, 34 seconds) and in the loading/creating a game screens (timed: 3 mins, 46 seconds for turn 1).

Now, a few more details: It gets even worse as the turns go by, and the game gets virtually unplayable after turn 50. I clearly remember I only had slow loading times when I was on turn 200+ in a normal speed game, standard map, default number of civs, etc, which was understandable, given the specs of my laptop.

I play on almost the lowest graphical settings, have tried both DX11 and DX9, and actually, DX9 is worse. I have also tried changing the multicorethread to 0 in the config.ini, to no avail. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, but nothing changed. For the record, even though I never timed my old performance, I remember that when I was starting a new game, the "civ info speech" you get in the loading screen, never got to finish before I could begin the game. Now, not only does the speech finish, but I have to wait for about 3 more minutes, or so.

Does anyone else experience such a problem, or knows of any solutions to mine?

EDIT: Just tried loading a duel map, standard speed game. Timed: 3 mins 51 seconds. I remember this used to take about 20 seconds. I also have the latest graphic card drivers installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ice_nt

Ice_nt Chieftain

I have the same problem. I also took a long break from Civ, after coming back I bought the G&K expansion and the load times increased dramatically...

3. AlcatrazUK

AlcatrazUK Chieftain

You might want to post in the technical forum rather than general discussion..might get a better response.

My loading times also seem to have got worse recently (despite no change to my setup) and there are days where it doesn't load at all (I get much more done around the house those days). Time for an upgrade to the PC I think.

Windows 7 and 8MB of RAM should do it.

4. VenGyr

VenGyr Chieftain

The last patch (or second to last?) increased load times by like 50% to 100% (when creating a new game or loading an old one, maybe even when starting the game). Annoying, but hopefully fixed in BNW.

While actually playing i did not notice any difference in load times.

5. IkM

IkM King

Same here mate. I was wondering why but couldn't find reason.

btw, thank you VenGyr for clarification.

6. EricTheGreat12

EricTheGreat12 King

same here for my CIV 5 on MAC. I think its because of the latest patch that they released

7. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

I can confirm the slow down. It gets even worse if you have a mod enabled, even if it is a very small one. Does not seem to affect the turn times, but only loading.

8. Darth Revan

Darth Revan Chieftain

Yeah I think it could be the source of the problem

9. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan King

Yes. I have the exact same loading times between turns, but the creating of a new game, or getting to the loading screen has become such a pain. About moving the thread, the moderators could do it, if they think it's more appropriate to be in a different section of the forums.

10. PrimoXanthous

PrimoXanthous ~ knightmare13 ~

just stick to small and standard map size, also dont use mods with large modification in gameplay.

11. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan King

If it was a problem on my end, I would gladly accept it and do as you suggested. But, since it was playing just fine on this very laptop, a few months ago, it means the problem is on Firaxis side. This is the reason why I created this topic in the first place. But thank you for the suggestion, mate!

12. IkM

IkM King

Usually playing on standard map size. but, still, loading time longer than before.

13. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

I can almost guarantee that is true, as the exact same thing happened with the patch they released right before G&K. If that was any indication, once the expansion is released, you should see loading times returning to "normal" (normal for CIV V anyway).

14. PurpleHaze34

PurpleHaze34 Chieftain

I deleted a lot of my old saves last night and my loading times improved.

15. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan King

How many autosave files have you set in the options?