1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[G&K] Gods & Kings warmongering

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by zxcvbob, Sep 12, 2018.

1. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

I purchased BNW before G&K, so have haven't played many G&K games. I decided to try a culture victory in GK just to see what it's like. I know it won't be peaceful. I haven't finished one yet (have several concurrent games going) but in all of them, one AI or another will declare war on me, and I fight them off until I have the upper hand, and they offer me a generous peace settlement. 40 or 50 turns later, they are back again and we have another war and I raze a couple of their crappy cities and they offer me all their gold and a few luxuries for peace. Next time they might offer me a really nice city. Rinse and repeat. In the first war they are usually stronger than me but my cities are fortified and I defend well. In subsequent wars, they will attack even if I have the stronger military.

It's usually fairly profitable but it's getting annoying. What happens if I wipe them out? Will everybody hate me like in BNW, or does warmongering not matter much in GK? And what if they do hate me? There doesn't seem to be a world congress where they can punish me like BNW.

2. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

I finally wiped him out (Oda) and nobody seemed to care, but 3 of us were at war with him (they invited me) and the last city was a city state which I liberated. So it wasn't a good test.

I lost the game; 5 turns away from me finishing the Utopia Project, Saladin got a science victory. He had appeared to be going for a culture victory too, and when I built Sidney Opera House and pulled ahead he switched gears. I'm not sure how he had policies in Piety and Rationalism at the same time, the policy screen said I couldn't do that so I didn't try, I took Commerce for my last tree instead. (probably wouldn't have made a difference) I went Tradition, Piety, Honor (right side), Freedom, Commerce, finished Honor, Utopia.

Arabia was on the same continent as me and had me outclassed the entire game; stayed about 5 techs ahead, beat me to a bunch of wonders (but I got some good ones) and had a larger military.