Gods & Kings What Language will the Huns Speak?

Suppiluliuma 1

Chieftain
G'day everyone, long time lurker here on CivFanatics, finally joined up.

I have a question, like to know what others think.

In the upcoming expansion of Gods & Kings, apparently The Huns will make their debut. I am wondering what language the Hun AI will speak. As there is not enough historical information available that identifies the language these nomadic people spoke.
Historical sources state that many languages were spoken in the Hunnic empire, including Hunnic.
Linguists speculate that the Hunnic language was similar to the Turkic and Mongolian language families,and that it may be a member of the Oghur branch of the Trukic Language family.
I wonder how the game developers addressed this interesting issue.

Suppiluliuma 1

Now, finally, the cattle have chosen their stable. They have definitely come to my county!

I heard somewhere that Gothic functioned as a lingua Franca in the Hunnic empire, they might settle for that, or go the (really, really) lazy route and have them speak hungarian
I think thats were there going. I think there just going to make them Hungarians.

Uhm, obviously they will speak Hunnic...

:mischief:

My money is on pig latin or jive.

I am going to guess this will be the lazy eyed civ a lot of people won't be happy with, so Hungarian.

Gothic would be a good choice. How easy would it be to get someone who speaks that.

Gothic would be a good choice. How easy would it be to get someone who speaks that.

Not hard. Despite being extinct it's fully attested and popular to study because it's essential in reconstructing proto-Germanic. I mean, there are hundreds of Youtube videos of people speaking Gothic, if that's any indication. (Though I'm sure the accent will be a little off leaning towards modern German).

Not hard. Despite being extinct it's fully attested and popular to study because it's essential in reconstructing proto-Germanic. I mean, there are hundreds of Youtube videos of people speaking Gothic, if that's any indication.

I have to agree here.

They could have at least have some form of a transliteration, like they SHOULD have done with Ramesses, instead of having him speak Arabic.

Well, considering that Firaxis is located in Maryland on the outskirts of Baltimore... maybe the Huns will speak the language of the Baltimore Hons!

Bawlamarese
:D

Seriously, though... Gothic would be cool, I suppose, though maybe Hungarian or Romanian?!? I figure that it might be a little difficult to find somebody to speak the lines for a video game in some of the ancient languages.

Actually, instead of having them speak Gothic, they're actually going to have Robert Smith of the Cure speak for them.

Actually, instead of having them speak Gothic, they're actually going to have Robert Smith of the Cure speak for them.

:lol:

I'll add my vote to the Gothic collective.

They are really confirmed beyond being just a city state?

Top Bottom