Gods & Kings What Language will the Huns Speak?

Except that Atilla needed to communicate with the Roman empires. He did so several times. They signed treaties, and some woman begged him to rescue her from a marriage. They needed to have a common language to do that. The Romans would have been familiar with Gothic and the Huns conquered Gothic peoples. It makes sense that the Huns would communicate with the western world through that medium.

It's not like you are Atilla's general or anything. You are a foreign leader and he is negotiating with you in the language of negotiation. He can talk to his slaves and horses in Hunnic, but he will speak to you in Gothic.

It's not like you are Atilla's general or anything. You are a foreign leader and he is negotiating with you in the language of negotiation. He can talk to his slaves and horses in Hunnic, but he will speak to you in Gothic.

Given how the game is set up at present, this is some severely tortured logic, since 'the language of diplomacy' will be situational and in any case all the other leaders speak their own languages (or at least Firaxis' take on them).

Were I a Polynesian king and some unwashed nomadic douche rode up and started mouthing off in Gothic or Latin because it was the language of diplomacy in OTL I would rape him and eat him.

Given how the game is set up at present, this is some severely tortured logic, since 'the language of diplomacy' will be situational and in any case all the other leaders speak their own languages (or at least Firaxis' take on them).

Were I a Polynesian king and some unwashed nomadic douche rode up and started mouthing off in Gothic or Latin because it was the language of diplomacy in OTL I would rape him and eat him.

I lol'd. Really the languages the leaders speak are loose interpretations. You can't expect them all to be spot on. It's not like it has any real impact on the game.

I think "some Turkic language" is a bit vague. At least Gothic is specific. Even if he personally didn't speak it, it works well for the Hunic Empire. Just like Aramaic makes a lot of sense for the Achaemenid Empire regardless of what Darius would normally have spoken.

How is that any different than the Polynesian king coming up to Atilla and speaking in an Austronesian language? Yeah, I'm sure the Polynesian king wouldn't be raped and killed. The language of diplomacy wasn't situation, not really, and especially not in Atilla's case considering the groups he primarily encountered.

Hungarian, Turkish or one of the Northern Turkic dialects (I prefer Kumyk) would be accurate for Huns. I will explain why.

First of all most of the posters focus on Attila which only explains his language in particular. Attila was well educated leader who visited Rome and maintained strong relationship with Germanic tribes. His knowledge of languages at that time period of Europe was over average, it can even rival Roman elites.

However Huns were confederation of nomadic tribes dominated by Altaic-Turkic tribes. After the collapse of Hun Empire in the Asia (Asian Hun Empire: http://bit.ly/w8UuDM), tribes migrated to the steppes in north of Black Sea (usual route for Turkic tribes since Scythians) where they met with their far relative Finno-Ugric tribes (Ural branch of Ural-Altaic language group) dominated by Magyars. It must be that period of time when Huns learned to build wooden constructions in forested areas and integrated with Finno-Ugric culture.

This is why when they came to Alföld plains (another route for Turkic tribes), they had a language similar in today's Hungarian and Turkish language. But in either case the language was certainly Ural-Altaic. I assume first period of Europen Hunnic domination language was more like Turkic but in time, perhaps before collapse of the Empire, language was more similar to Hungarian (in two hundred years approximately). It would be historically accurate to choose Northern Turkish dialects (Kazakh, Chuvash, Kumyk) or Hungarian.

I rely on facts and some assumptions summarized above, to support my argument. I can write further detail but I wanted it to be short.

For other language offers for Huns, I can only say they are either too much biased or incredibly ignorant.

For Gothic (so called Lingua Franca). It is known that Huns defeated Ostrogoth when they were attacked by them and that attempt to destroy Huns triggered a series of events which resulted in Fall of Rome. One hundred years of Goth expansion conquered in 3 years. Goths were first to met devastating power of Hun army and they were first to migrate far reaches of Roman empire. It was never Lingua Franca for any of tribes except for some of Germanic tribes, certainly not for Huns. Plus if there was ever international language at that period it was Latin which most of military and administrative elites of different ethnic groups were eager to learn as Huns did. Attila's father, Mundzuk (Boncuk in Turkish, means "pearl") and his grandather Uldiz (Yıldız in Turkish, means "star") might have familiar with Goths but I doubt they knew Gothic language.

For Mongolian. Contrary to general misunderstanding Mongolian was not so much different until son of Genghis Khan, Kublai Khan established his Khanate in Far East of Asia. That geographical separation led them culturally differentiate in 600 years of process. Other parts of Mongolian Empire (Golden Horde, Caghatai Khanate, Il Kahante) quickly fell under Turkish domination as their majority in army and population were Turkish but Kublai Khan's Khanate adopted Chinese and Uighur (another Turkic tribe, Mongolian writing is copy of Uighur) culture. So it would be ethnically, geographically and chronologically wrong to choose Mongolian.

It is very hard to choose language for once powerful but destroyed civilization. It is even harder when they speack Ural Altaic language which spreads across Europe and Asia.
In final analysis, no matter how much they are distant to modern cultures their culture is related to Ural-Altaic sphere which includes both Finno-Ugric and Turkic culture. I know it is long to read but I felt I should give some information about one of the mightiest Empire of the history. It would be unfair to forget their impact on world.

I would gladly listen if there is any misinformation, I humbly wrote only what I know from my personal interest on history in general, and Turkic history in particular. Also I apologize for my English for it is not my mother tongue, I would be sorry if there is any misunderstanding because of it.

Note: The word "Hungar" doesn't derive from Hun. It comes from word "On Ogur" which means "Ten Ogurs". Ogur, Oguz (or Oghuz), Ugor, Uighur are different versions of same word which can be observed in the most of the Ural-Altaic tribe names. Ten Ogurs/Ugors might have been dominant Boy (tribe) in Magyar Uruk (tribe federation) to persist through history.

The Huns were not related to modern day Hungarians or Turks until much later on. The Huns in Asia were almost all Northeast Asians.

@Khagan
I more or less agree with everything you said
One minor thing: I think the Huns were much closer to the Altaic branch than to the Ural branch, so I won't necessary call them relatives with Finno-Ugrians
I do beleive Huns and Magyars (Hungarians) shared some kind of history, probably near the Finno-Ugric homeland near the Ural mountains like you said.
But IMO - as I already said a couple times on this forum - this connection wasn't significant enough. So I'm very much against using Hungarian as the language of Attila

The Huns were not related to modern day Hungarians or Turks until much later on. The Huns in Asia were almost all Northeast Asians.

And who were the Northern Asians at that time?

...as I already said a couple times on this forum - this connection wasn't significant enough. So I'm very much against using Hungarian as the language of Attila

I think you are more concerned with future Hungary DLC :). But yes, I agree with you, It would be more accurate to choose Altaic language for Attila.

Top Bottom