Gods & Kings: worth getting?

Bamboocha

Warlord
Hey guys,

I've been playing civ V for quite a while now, with a few hiatuses, and have recently discovered (yeah yeah, I've stopped playing the game for six or so months. Give me a break :blush:) that a new expansion pack, Gods and Kings, came out. Since it's rather pricy at €26, I've been contemplating whether or not I should get it. As far as I know it adds a new feature for religion and a few new civs (including my own Netherlands). I wonder whether the concencus is that it's worth getting or not. This question will be mostly about the new features the expansion pack adds, because if I only wanted new civs I'd buy the DLC civs.

Thanks in advance for your contribution.

Religion is an excellent element added to the game, much better than in previous incarnations.
Espionage is okay, it doesn't play a HUGE role but it's satisfying nonetheless.

The civs added reward creative playstyles. It's a great addition and will re-addict you to CiV for sure. ;)

Plus with the Fall patch it will just get even better.

I think it is a dramatic improvement, with new religion and espionage elements, revamped battle mechanics and military units, reworked tech tree, etc. But, judge for yourself. Check out the demo:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/16870/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

As the prior post notes, a significant patch has been announced and is expected to be released soon (no specifics on the date).

I see, thanks for the input.
A lot of people have complained that Civ V is a downgrade from Civ IV. Would you still uphold that belief when taking Gods and Kings into account?

Yes and no. Here's a limited comparison:

Civ IV with BtS
-Music through the ages (all European though)
-Graphics are cartoony-esque, but the wonder animations are nice (esp. Statute of Zeus)
-More complexity (esp. with diplomacy--UN, temporary alliances, etc)
-Combat is more complex and has less micromanagement, but also takes way longer to wage successfully. Collateral damage and flanking function nicely.
-Expressive leaderheads, with memorable, but simplistic, music, and more depth as far as trading screens, etc
-Religion is more culturally specific (i.e. Hindu missionaries looking like Gandhi)
-Expanded builder options (espionage is expansive, if too complicated for its own good, UN, diplomatic random events/quests, trading posts level up by turn rather than by age, Great People can do more things)
-Squares (move diagonally--it's faster).
-Can move huge stacks of units with two clicks.
-UI is terrible, but allows you to access almost any info with one click (victory progress, religion, etc)
-Can take over cities with riots and culture. Policies don't require culture to unlock, just tech progress
-Tech tree more complex and strategic. Also, bonuses for being first to research a tech, etc.
-Multiplayer actually works. And is fun. Also, PitBoss.
-Shorter loading times.
-Leonard Nimoy voice-overs.

Civ V w/ GnK:
-Music for each area (limited in scope, however)
-Improved graphics (clouds, mountains, shining water)
-AI are inane diplomatically (you were my friend from across the sea 30 turns ago...NOW DIE)
-Combat is simpler, and imo more satisfying (also cities can defend themselves without having units stationed in them)
-Animated leader screens, with great music.
-Religious customization (bonuses, etc)
-Limited peacenik/builder options (can't build anything but plantation on area with bananas)
-City-state diplomacy is mediocre, but adds some flavor now with espionage
-Hexes
-Unit control is more annoying and micromanagement focused
-UI is simpler, cleaner, nicer-looking, but less functional (have to click in each game to have the building queue show, also accessing victory info requires multiple clicks, and the diplomatic relations screens are annoyingly unorganized)
-Victory conditions are limited, but the combat victory no longer requires taking every-single-city.
-Can't take over cities via culture/riots/etc. Culture required to unlock policies, which means a really combative player may get his next policy unlocked in 48 turns. Enjoy the wait.
-Tech trees simpler (tech line above = culture/exploration/navy, mid-line tech = economy, tech line below = combat)
-Scenarios are more pithy and combative (see Fall of Rome for example). Scenarios include lines from Pirates of the Caribbean and other such, voiced by a Star Trek actor that is not Nimoy.

Bottom Line:
In short, Civ IV BtS is the nuclear scientist to Civ V's college graduate with BA in science. The nuclear scientist is more arcane, harder to understand, but more valuable mentally. The college graduate degree is functional, but limited--and more accessible as a result. Personally, I play both depending on how long I want my games to be (Civ V's end game is much more tedious than Civ IV's end-game, however).

Yes. Definitely worth it. I play CiV since the day it came out, two years ago, and things like religion and espionage were missing. Gods and Kings added that, and more. It has its flaws, but it's still a really solid expansion, in my opinion.

Yes and no. Here's a limited comparison:

Civ IV with BtS
-Music through the ages (all European though)
-Graphics are cartoony-esque, but the wonder animations are nice (esp. Statute of Zeus)
-More complexity (esp. with diplomacy--UN, temporary alliances, etc)
-Combat is more complex and has less micromanagement, but also takes way longer to wage successfully. Collateral damage and flanking function nicely.
-Expressive leaderheads, with memorable, but simplistic, music, and more depth as far as trading screens, etc
-Religion is more culturally specific (i.e. Hindu missionaries looking like Gandhi)
-Expanded builder options (espionage is expansive, if too complicated for its own good, UN, diplomatic random events/quests, trading posts level up by turn rather than by age, Great People can do more things)
-Squares (move diagonally--it's faster).
-Can move huge stacks of units with two clicks.
-UI is terrible, but allows you to access almost any info with one click (victory progress, religion, etc)
-Can take over cities with riots and culture. Policies don't require culture to unlock, just tech progress
-Tech tree more complex and strategic. Also, bonuses for being first to research a tech, etc.
-Multiplayer actually works. And is fun. Also, PitBoss.
-Shorter loading times.
-Leonard Nimoy voice-overs.

Civ V w/ GnK:
-Music for each area (limited in scope, however)
-Improved graphics (clouds, mountains, shining water)
-AI are inane diplomatically (you were my friend from across the sea 30 turns ago...NOW DIE)
-Combat is simpler, and imo more satisfying (also cities can defend themselves without having units stationed in them)
-Animated leader screens, with great music.
-Religious customization (bonuses, etc)
-Limited peacenik/builder options (can't build anything but plantation on area with bananas)
-City-state diplomacy is mediocre, but adds some flavor now with espionage
-Hexes
-Unit control is more annoying and micromanagement focused
-UI is simpler, cleaner, nicer-looking, but less functional (have to click in each game to have the building queue show, also accessing victory info requires multiple clicks, and the diplomatic relations screens are annoyingly unorganized)
-Victory conditions are limited, but the combat victory no longer requires taking every-single-city.
-Can't take over cities via culture/riots/etc. Culture required to unlock policies, which means a really combative player may get his next policy unlocked in 48 turns. Enjoy the wait.
-Tech trees simpler (tech line above = culture/exploration/navy, mid-line tech = economy, tech line below = combat)
-Scenarios are more pithy and combative (see Fall of Rome for example). Scenarios include lines from Pirates of the Caribbean and other such, voiced by a Star Trek actor that is not Nimoy.

Bottom Line:
In short, Civ IV BtS is the nuclear scientist to Civ V's college graduate with BA in science. The nuclear scientist is more arcane, harder to understand, but more valuable mentally. The college graduate degree is functional, but limited--and more accessible as a result. Personally, I play both depending on how long I want my games to be (Civ V's end game is much more tedious than Civ IV's end-game, however).

Last time I checked this has nothing to do with civ 4. Its just a guy who has gotten back into civ 5 and says if he should get G&K or play vanilla. I don't think "Go play civ 4" is a valid answer. I think the mods will agree this is not a Civ 4 is better than civ 5 rant thread so if you want that check this out http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=401228&highlight=civ+rant+thread and stop running around the forums screaming that.

Last time I checked this has nothing to do with civ 4. Its just a guy who has gotten back into civ 5 and says if he should get G&K or play vanilla. I don't think "Go play civ 4" is a valid answer. I think the mods will agree this is not a Civ 4 is better than civ 5 rant thread so if you want that check this out http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=401228&highlight=civ+rant+thread and stop running around the forums screaming that.

Actually, his comment is perfectly on topic. I asked whether or not Gods and Kings fills in the gaps Civ IV fans have seen in Civ V.

Wouldn't say it fills all the gaps. But if you like CiV (I personally don't) it is better with G+K. I have both because I have been a fan of the series since II. I spent all summer playing V G+K and have returned to IV. However if you enjoy V I recommend getting G+K as it does add a lot and I think is a lot better than vanilla.
Over the series in general I believe the expansions are worth getting. IV was good but made a ton better by BTS (Warlords was kind of a half-way point that I should have skipped but oh well). I just generally find the gameplay overall in V not very fun but G+K made what would have been a one month diversion into a 4 month one.

I see, thanks for the input.
A lot of people have complained that Civ V is a downgrade from Civ IV. Would you still uphold that belief when taking Gods and Kings into account?

It`s better with GK, but not better than Civ4. No. It still feels kinda empty compared. Spies are done better in Civ4 since they have more options like sabotage and steal more stuff.

The animations and Leader graphics in Civ5 are amazing though, put that into CIV4 with the no stacks and I`d never play Civ5.

It`s better with GK, but not better than Civ4. No. It still feels kinda empty compared. Spies are done better in Civ4 since they have more options like sabotage and steal more stuff.

The animations and Leader graphics in Civ5 are amazing though, put that into CIV4 with the no stacks and I`d never play Civ5.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply add stuff to Civ5?

Wouldn't say it fills all the gaps. But if you like CiV (I personally don't) it is better with G+K. I have both because I have been a fan of the series since II. I spent all summer playing V G+K and have returned to IV. However if you enjoy V I recommend getting G+K as it does add a lot and I think is a lot better than vanilla.
Over the series in general I believe the expansions are worth getting. IV was good but made a ton better by BTS (Warlords was kind of a half-way point that I should have skipped but oh well). I just generally find the gameplay overall in V not very fun but G+K made what would have been a one month diversion into a 4 month one.

Are you playing vanilla BTS or Civ4 with mods? Just curious. A lot of Civ5 detractors seem to compare Civ4+mods to Civ5 G&K which isn't really fair.

G&K will not make CiV into CIV+++.

Different branches of the same tree. G&K won't join them. If you liked the direction they took in Vanilla, G&K is a big improvement. If you didn't enjoy vanilla, G&K likely won't change your mind. If you were in the middle its worth getting....but maybe on sale :)

Totally worth it. I can't imagine Civ V without G&K. In fact, I literally can't imagine it because I've played G&K so much that I can't remember what my strategies were before

Are you playing vanilla BTS or Civ4 with mods? Just curious. A lot of Civ5 detractors seem to compare Civ4+mods to Civ5 G&K which isn't really fair.

A short answer: Both

When I was comparing the two games I was intending to compare with BTS un-modded.
The many mods available in IV make it endlessly playable which is a bonus. However I didn't have internet access until a year and a half ago so I had to play un-modded until then (I don't do mods myself). So most of my time since I got hooked to the net has been either multi-player or in downloaded mods.

I just prefer the game play of 2-4 to 5. 5 seems to be kind of a "reboot" in a way. Which is fine, but I am not a fan.
I bought the game gave it 3 months to play, and just quite simply don't like it.

I just wanted to say that IMO if you like Civ5 vanilla you will like it better with G+K since I like neither but believe G+K is much better.

For me, G&K really helps to flesh out and complete the game. It wasn't the religion (which is nice, though not as big a deal as I thought) and definitely not the espionage (which is very passive to the point of occasionally feeling worthless) that did it. It was the core gameplay changes, combat mechanics, tech tree, new units/buildings, social policies etc. that made the expansion worthwhile for me. If they'd added all of that stuff without the religion and espionage, I might have thought of it as a patch, albeit a really big one, but I think it improves the game vastly.

So yes, it's worth getting. So much so that I have even bought it for at least one person who was on the fence, just because I didn't think it was worth playing CiV without it.

I absolutely suggest you get G&K. It adds a lot of value to gameplay and updates mechanics that weren't working.

I honestly think the G&K team just had a better sensibility for gameplay design. It's truly a vast improvement (though eveyone will acknowledge some tweaks here and there would still be welcome).

Wow, so defensive. Good lord. Do you work for the company. There was no ranting. The only irate person is yourself so take your censorship intolerance somewhere else. I'll reply to the useful portion of this thread where appropriate.
Moderator Action: Not appropriate. The whole post does not help to create a civil discussion, and the accusations of astroturfing are especially not allowed.

Top Bottom