1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GoG and Civ 5

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Mr.WorldWide, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Mr.WorldWide

Mr.WorldWide Smugly Inferior

I love Steam and all but I see GoG is a growing alternative with DRM free games. Is it possible we'll see Civ 5 available DRM free though them anytime soon. Like how civ 4 got a DRM free release about 5 years after it debuted.

Or would civ 5's steamworks integration make such a release impossible. All conjecture welcome ofc. :)

2. Acken

Acken Deity

May be a bit too soon for that.

There is no reason why civ5 couldn't be DRM free though (apart from Firaxis not wanting it to be), the game has almost no interaction with a remote server.

3. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Actually that's Take Two's call, not Firaxis.

As I recall, the very last Civ IV patch to BTS removed the CD check, this was well after Civ V had been announced.

4. anandus

anandus Errorist

I don't think that will happen, for (at least) three reasons:
    1. It would disable multiplayer.
    2. It would need a completely new patching system.
    3. It would pose problems for mods (although I think there could be a way to install them manually?)

5. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

We could expect firaxis to disable civ 5 multiplayer like it happened in civ 4..

6. Mr.WorldWide

Appreciate the insight, I just felt with the rise of GoG and the trend toward DRM free games now would be a better time then it was for civ 4 to release a drm free Civ 5 alongside the Civ: BE launch.

I know there are plenty of fans out there who still refuse to use steam and with GoG's new client I'm not so sure patching is such a hurtle anymore. I honestly don't see why modding wouldn't be possible on a drm free game. Civ 4 has the best mods of any Civ to date (imo) and they are manually installed for the most part.

7. Acken

Acken Deity

The trend toward DRM free games ? Appart from independant devs and kickstarter project I'd say it's not really on decline :/

8. Mahasona

Mahasona Prince

What is this GoG of which you speak?

Thought I was reasonably up to date but apparently not.

9. Acken

Acken Deity

Good old games, a digital seller specialized in selling old games usually patched to work on today computers (5 to 10$).

Well that's how they started at least, now they sell also new releases.

10. Mr.WorldWide

Well see, that's what I mean. A couple years back GoG was just older games sold DRM free, now Whitcher 3 is available for preorder through them (DRM free) and they've got their own client a bit like Origin and Steam.