GOG: Free giveaway (48h) - Thea 2: The Shattering (offer expired)

The_J

Say No 2 Net Validations
Administrator
Supporter

GOG has a 48h giveaway. The game "Thea 2: The Shattering" is freely available for everyone for 2 days.
The game is a turn-based strategy game on a hex grid. On first glance it reminds one of "Heroes Of Might & Magic".
The self-description on the GOG webpage is:
"Thea 2: The Shattering is a follow-up to the successful Thea: The Awakening, which brings the idea of innovative genre hybrid, with elements of turn-based, 4X strategy, survival, RPG and a card game, to entirely new and thoroughly polished level."

Get the game for free here: https://www.gog.com/en/game/thea_2_the_shattering

I picked up Thea 1: The Awakening when it had a sale last year. The thing that prevented me from getting into it (beyond trying it for a couple hours) was the card game aspects. I like actual card games, or some of them at any rate. But in a computer strategy game, it feels arbitrary to me. There's no actual deck of cards, no actual physical limitations. The more integrated, often more visible systems that games like Civilization and Endless Legend have are more appealing to me; event-based systems also feel less arbitrary, even if there is randomness behind them in some cases.

Aside from that, I didn't really have any complaints. But the card game mechanics are kind of a non-starter for me.

Top Bottom