1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Going back to Civ 4 ROM?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Tony.Uk, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Tony.Uk

Tony.Uk TonyUK

From what I have seen and read, Civ 5 needs a lot of improvement particularly diplomacy, lagging, turn times too long on larger maps, long build times, lack of depth - to name just some. Not to bothered about lack of religion or spies, tech trading; but to leave out the useful power graph and each Civs relationship with one another is a mega mistake. I can only see my points score with each city state but not with the main civs. A relavant point that Sulla makes on his website is how the AI is able to maintain large armies on higher levels without going bankrupt as the human player would suffer this. If the A1 does not indeed suffer this penalty then the game is not worth playing.

Why the reviewers think this is a great game I dont know, it has potential to be one, but not for another few more months have gone by for some serious patching. I like the way the game forces you to give orders to units as in CIV 4 I often forgot, probably why I lost mostly. Civ 5 is certainly more accessible but not enough detail/options as in CIV 4. Play on Prince-still cant win though! CIV 5 feels like a console game. I have a fairly high spec 2 year old system and by around 1850 it locks up my system and crashed.

Therefore do players think it would be better for me to go back to ROM and wait for CIV 5 patches, or persist with CIV 5? Maybe play with diplomacy turned off? Not sure what to do for the best.

2. Generals3

Generals3 Chieftain

Oh but not only can the AI maintain absurd armies but also absurd empires . I simply can't compete (other than thx to tech lead) with my enemy who has almost every inch covered on one of two continents in Large . I can barely fill 1/2 of my continent and i'm having a very hard time maintaining a positive happiness. So their size combined with the difficulty bonuses results in them literally on spamming units after units.

I believe the AI should be punished just as much for having huge empires or reduce the punishment we suffer. in Civ IV i could match the AI in empire size , now i'm screwed on that part.

3. Antmanbrooks

Antmanbrooks Chieftain

I started a RoM game on Saturday and have not looked back since. RoM is simply much better than CiV out of the box. I'm hoping it'll be modded but I'm not holding my breath as it'll be a year off before anything of any substance is ready to play.

4. DrunkenPirate

DrunkenPirate Chieftain

I have been playing them both in equal measure, but I will admit that I am enjoying my RoM game more. We just need to wait until ciV matures a little and some expansions/TC's come out for it.

5. TheDisco

TheDisco Chieftain

Just don't be like those Civ3 players who never made the jump to Civ4 EVER. It is very easy to fear change and justify it with any number of reasons. I myself have moved on from RoM2 although out of the box Civ5 is not as complex as RoM2 I agree. But the mods are already starting to roll in for Civ5 and I'm letting go of the past and looking to the future. Adjusting to the new strategies rather than hoping somebody will just mod in Civ4 into Civ5.

By the way most of the mod developers (includig RoM2) are already diving into Civ5 mods so one thing you can do is just follow the ones you like and when it looks like they have a mod sufficient to your tastes jump then. From what I've read there is so much flexibility to modding Civ5 that there will be some truly outstanding mods. I for one am fine that Civ5 doesn't have all the bells and whistles as that is what the modders are for anyway. It is NOT dumbed down though in my opinion just doesn't have all the extras yet...

6. DrunkenPirate

DrunkenPirate Chieftain

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying Civ V much more than I enjoyed Civ 4 when it first came out. I am sure that in time Civ V will be an epic experience once it has an expansion or 2 plus a mod similar to RoM.

7. Burrito_X

Burrito_X Chieftain

which ROM is the one to play theres like 3 - ROM, ROM2 and ROM a new dawn ?

thanks
    BX

8. Antmanbrooks

Antmanbrooks Chieftain

ROM Forum

This is the right forum to get to both the most up to date version of ROM and the additional features AND adds.

You are probably best off downloading AND 1.75 as once you have installed it you get the option to choose the features you like. It includes all the RoM features as standard.

One thing to remember when installing RoM:AND 1.75 is make sure the folder structure is;

Beyond the Sword/MODS/Rise of Mankind

and not

Beyond the Sword/MODS/Rise of Mankind/Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn 1.75

9. Burrito_X

Burrito_X Chieftain

Thanks Amantbrooks

10. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

what do you mean "going BACK" ????

we NEVER left.

(RoM AND warning: newbies beware! high complexity involved, multiple decision branches, 200+ technologies, dozens of civics, revolutions, advanced diplomacy, BetterAI!...) stay away from it. You have civ5.)

11. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

now this bullcrappy argument of "fearing the change" keeps coming up as the only defense to the design decisions for civ5... I guess it comes mainly from the "new mass market" of the game.

The ONLY change we fear is the CHANGE TO MEDIOCRITY.

So try to use something different to defend your vision of a "brilliant design".

12. Generals3

Generals3 Chieftain

Ye that argument is really getting old and used all the time protect every possible sequel , people even used to defend C&C 4 . I think many unhappy customers don't fear change , they fear bad change.

13. Malkaviel

Malkaviel Chieftain

Can I have your stuff?

Played a mp today as Arabia. Out teched the other players and invaded with 10 infantry and 4 artillery just before 1800 ON THEIR CONTINENT. I owned 8 cities, no puppets, had 2 city state allies and over +100 gold per turn. Was about to start buying bombers outright in the cities I seized from them, I had 20 oil, and they called it. GG.

So I learned how to play a game instead of complaining and comparing it to its predecessor. Good for me, huh?

14. Generals3

Generals3 Chieftain

Why do you say "instead"?
    I'm doing both atm but it seems how more i play how more i get disappointed so maybe i should stop playing , i feel like there is a correlation between playing the game and being urged to complain about it .

15. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

yeah, I guess it's good enough for you, huh...

16. ChaplainDMK

ChaplainDMK Chieftain

So you are comparing a vanilla game to a mod that was released for it about 3 years after the game?
    If the mod doesen't totaly blow the game to bits with the ammount of stuff it adds after that period, i would say that mod is a failure...
    Civilization 5 vs Civilization 4 (vanilla) are perfectly comparable, Civ 5 might have lost some bells and whistles, but it got some too. And alot of the major complaints are some realy stupid design decisions that are easily fixed, unlike SODs or something like that...

17. Generals3

Generals3 Chieftain

And who in his right mind would compare Civ V to Civ IV vanilla? That makes no sense, it should be compared to Civ IV BTS which was the last released Civ . Civ V is supposed to be better than that because that's what it's replacing.

Now i can understand it not being compared to mods. But stop saying it should be compared to Civ IV vanilla because it shouldn't.

18. Malkaviel

Malkaviel Chieftain

And it shouldn't be compared to a newly-released retail version of the same genre, same line?

Why? Because you said so?

19. Generals3

Generals3 Chieftain

I already said why. Because it is a follow-up to Civ IV BTS . We stop playing BTS to play Civ V . By your logic we should better all ignore Vanilla games because they're going to be worse than the expansions from the predecessor ?

20. ZEbbEDY

ZEbbEDY Chieftain

is there a 1 unit per tile mod for a new dawn? someone said there was but i cant find it