1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Going for a Culuture Win on Prince, How Many Cities?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by CivMcNut, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Nares

Nares Emperor

Culture stacking and the Hermitage really blow this apart. It looks attractive in the short/mid-term, but falls behind later on, when you generate the bulk of your culture anyway.

2. iggymnrr

iggymnrr Deity

Culture from CSs get "watered down" with more than 1 city.

3. mcsamms

mcsamms Chieftain

Cultural victories can happen pretty quickly (early 1900's). Two cities seems to work pretty well on any difficulty, the last one I did was emperor. I would suggest either france or siam. Siam seems to work well if you put a lot of effort into getting the cultural city states, essentially your going to want to get to Free Religion, Educated Elite, Cultural Diplomacy, Constitution then Free Speech. Educated Elite is good because you will be getting a good amount of great people, and producing your own, save the engineers to make sure you get things like Cristo Rendentor, Hermitage; Chichen Itza is also good if you can get it. You will have way more great people then you can use, and a lot of happiness if you play your cards right, so you will be in golden ages a lot. Essentially I find I am ~15 turns per policy mid way, and then by the end you should be hitting ~550 culture per turn, which is ~7 turns per policy. Your not going to get a huge score though.

4. comablack

comablack Chieftain

occ on 7 and 8, only units i owned both games was the first war + a worker

its actually quite sad, and easy

5. MykC

MykC Warlord

I've done a OCC cultural victory in the low 200's (turns) on Immortal with Siam. It depends heavily on your starting location and whether people want to declare war on you. Most time you can do without anyone wanting to declare war on you if your tech is far enough ahead.

Siam appears to be the best choice with Alexander being a close second and everyone else being fairly distant runner ups.

You can do a cultural victory with a lot cities, but it was on prince vs 1 ai on great plains and largest map. I did strict ICS with Rome and when I stopped playing I had like 200 cities and was getting a policy ever 10 or so turns.

6. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I reckon 2 cities is best. A third isn't going to get as high returns as your capital, so the gains, if any, will be marginal. There's no need to go to war either, or if you keep your diplomacy going well, to have a substantive army (both Tradition and Freedom, both of which you should be completing anyway, will give you bonuses if you ever are invaded); just focus on your culture output. Build a museum, not guns.