Going for Gold: Enhancer Beliefs

Is this item in a reasonable state of balance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
v1 updates for your perusal:

Inquisition: Inquisitors cost 30% less Faith. Your spies exert +10 Religious Pressure on the Cities they occupy (Standard Speed). Constabularies and Castles provide +2 Faith and +1 Happiness.

Mendicancy: +2 Culture and Faith in all Cities following this Religion. Internal Trade Routes generate +6 Food and Production.

Universalism: +1 Gold and Faith in Holy City for every 15 followers of this Religion in Foreign Cities. +25% Yields from Friendly/Allied City-States following this Religion.

Orthodoxy: Religion spreads 30% faster (60% with Printing Press), and to Cities 20% further away. Pressure doubled to friendly City-States and foreign Cities connected via Trade Routes.

Zealotry: May spend Faith to purchase land units in Cities. Strategic Resource quantities increase by 1% per following City (up to 25%).

Soothsaying: Ignore all Policy Requirements for Wonders. Holy City gains +5 Golden Age Points and +2 Great Person Points per turn for all Great People. +15% GP rate in Holy City during Golden Ages.

Investiture: Missionaries and Prophets of this Religion 25% stronger, cost 25% less Faith. +2 to base Holy Site yields.

Ecclesiarchy: Capital gains +10 Culture, and Holy City gains +10 Faith. +2 Golden Age Points in Holy City for every Foreign City following this Religion.

Syncretism: +1 Faith and Science for every 3 followers of other Religions in owned Cities following your Religion. +5 Culture when a Citizen is born in an owned City following this Religion, scaling with Era.

Note: I've removed the 'on-spread' bonuses and the follower/city-based happiness beliefs. They're simply hard to balance, and the spreader ones were tedious and not AI friendly.

These changes will be accompanied by three other changes:

• Borobudur and St. Basil will swap places.
  • St. Basil will no longer give a free reformation - instead, it will reduce the % of global followers you need for a Reformation by 10% (to 10% in Standard).
  • Glory of God - non-unlocked GPs will be double faith cost compared to those you've unlocked with Policies.

G

Love the direction! Here's my initial thoughts:

Inquisition: Solid happiness belief.

Mendicancy: Really nice if you're using ITRs. I'd like it in some games.

Universalism: Exceptionally weak. 300 foreign followers gives 20 gold and faith. You'd need an absurd amount of city states to make this workable.

Orthodoxy: Now THIS is a spreader belief. Might want to rename "Declare war now or assume the position."... Nevermind. That's a bit to wordy.

Zealotry: The staple rock. Love it. Would cry if it vanished.

Soothsaying: Wowee this is a great tall belief. The first part is still probably useless, but the second half looks great for OCC and many other civs.

Investiture: ...Are you supposed to use your faith for missionaries or prophets?

Ecclesiarchy: Probably just a worse Mendicancy. If you have 5 cities you get equal yields, and the ITR buff is WAY better than the potential GAP. Maybe a OCC? Probably going Soothsaying in that case though.

Syncretism: Neat. Seems too risky to take, but maybe it would work? If your neighbor takes Orthodoxy take this and just keep your capital as having your religion. Assume the position. The PROFIT position!

-----

Suggestions:
Universalism: +1 Gold and Faith in Holy City for every 8 followers of this Religion in Foreign Cities. Missionaries of this Religion 25% stronger, cost 25% less Faith.
Investiture: Prophets of this Religion cost 35% less Faith. +2 to base Holy Site yields. +1 :c5culture:/:c5faith: on ALL GPTIs.
Ecclesiarchy: Capital gains +5 :c5culture:/:c5production:, and Holy City gains +5 :c5faith:/ :tourism:. +2 :c5goldenage:/:c5gold: in Holy City for every Foreign City following this Religion.

Last edited:
Love the direction! Here's my initial thoughts:

Inquisition: Solid happiness belief.

Mendicancy: Really nice if you're using ITRs. I'd like it in some games.

Universalism: Exceptionally weak. 300 foreign followers gives 20 gold and faith. You'd need an absurd amount of city states to make this workable.

Orthodoxy: Now THIS is a spreader belief. Might want to rename "Declare war now or assume the position."... Nevermind. That's a bit to wordy.

Zealotry: The staple rock. Love it. Would cry if it vanished.

Soothsaying: Wowee this is a great tall belief. The first part is still probably useless, but the second half looks great for OCC and many other civs.

Investiture: ...Are you supposed to use your faith for missionaries or prophets?

Ecclesiarchy: Probably just a worse Mendicancy. If you have 5 cities you get equal yields, and the ITR buff is WAY better than the potential GAP. Maybe a OCC? Probably going Soothsaying in that case though.

Syncretism: Neat. Seems too risky to take, but maybe it would work? If your neighbor takes Orthodoxy take this and just keep your capital as having your religion. Assume the position. The PROFIT position!

-----

Suggestions:
Universalism: +1 Gold and Faith in Holy City for every 8 followers of this Religion in Foreign Cities. Missionaries of this Religion 25% stronger, cost 25% less Faith.
Investiture: Missionaries of this Religion cost 35% less Faith. +2 to base Holy Site yields. +1 :c5culture:/:c5faith: on ALL GPTIs.
Ecclesiarchy: Capital gains +5 :c5culture:/:c5production:, and Holy City gains +5 :c5faith:/ :tourism:. +2 :c5goldenage:/:c5gold: in Holy City for every Foreign City following this Religion.

Did you mean to say Prophets for Investiture?

Universalism is the one that will be the hardest to balance, because of maptype shenanigans. Would need to be watched closely at 8.

This would honestly be such a great niche enchancer for religious counterplay. Namely, if you really think it would be wise to abandon your religion game after founding due to an overzealous neighbor this would be a smart "tactical retreat" from that area of gameplay... I can see this having amazing synergy with Pagodas, too, which is an otherwise useless building. I'd even buff it a little to 1:c5science: + 1:c5faith: per 2:c5citizen: instead of per 3:c5citizen:. Add in the later -100% to Religious Division :c5unhappy: from the Rationalism policy tree and you have a very satisfying "secular" type of strategy!

Last edited:
Inquisition is very solid for wide, too much in fact. +2 :c5happy: per city this early in the game is huge for a non-unique.

I think Universalism would make more sense if it were focused on converting city-states, rather than foreign cities in general. Making the yields stronger by being applicable to followers in city-states only, transfering the trade route bonuses from Orthodoxy (just the part for city-states), maybe triple the pressure instead, add some third CS aspect and it has a solid niche.

Mendicancy seems solid, neither too strong or weak. I'd have to try it to properly judge it.

Orthodoxy looks solid for what it is meant to, expecially with Fealty and/or India's UA. Definetively worth trying.

Zealotry is solid from experience, no need for more comments.

Soothsaying looks solid for Tall, and particularly Austria. Definetively one that I want to try.

Investidure is basically a toned down Resilience for stronger missionaries, I'm not sure if I'd want it. Still, stronger holy sites remains attractive.

I have a hard time finding a good use for Ecclesiarchy. There are better and easier sources of :c5goldenage: GAP than this one, I don't think even Brazil would prefer it over other enhancers.

Syncretism is interesting, if still risky. I rarely play a religion with religious syncretism in mind, so I can't tell if it's good.

Did you mean to say Prophets for Investiture?

Universalism is the one that will be the hardest to balance, because of maptype shenanigans. Would need to be watched closely at 8.
Yeah, meant to say Prophets.

Also yeah, for people who play on big map religious scaling has always been a problem. I think we might need to make it scale with mapsize. If we were earlier on or it's unexpectedly easy I would suggest adding a value in one of the xmls that we can adjust for extra civs. So if you're playing with standard amount of civs it's 1, and if you're playing with more you can adjust it to 2 or 3 or more. It would lower yields on beliefs that scale too well by a certain amount.

I think :c5gold:/:c5faith: is the least dangerous option to get a bunch of though.

For soothsaying, you would probably want to remove the policy reduction on Way if the Pilgrim then, no? No point in having 1 belief which is just a worse version of another

For soothsaying, you would probably want to remove the policy reduction on Way if the Pilgrim then, no? No point in having 1 belief which is just a worse version of another

There's a point about Statecraft's finisher as well, Soothsaying outclasses them both.

If I go ahead with it that would be part of the plan yes.

G

Inquisition: Inquisitors cost 30% less Faith. Your spies exert +10 Religious Pressure on the Cities they occupy (Standard Speed). Constabularies and Castles provide +2 Faith and +1 Happiness.
Spain and Siam are going to be happy.
Spanish Mission:
150:c5faith: instant build in every city
2:c5faith:1:c5happy: from inquisition
3:c5food:1:c5happy: from nobility

Constabulary is generally looking overstacked at this point:
Siamese Wat
1:c5happy:2:c5faith: from inquisition
3:c5science: from Statecraft
1:c5happy: from Imperialism
3:c5culture:5:c5production: from Autocracy

I'm not really a fan of modifying buildings. Would it be possible to do something else, like double attrition for foreign missionaries?
Mendicancy: +2 Culture and Faith in all Cities following this Religion. Internal Trade Routes generate +6 Food and Production.
ITR policy with no rewards for getting other civs to follow you. Unique and self-contained.

K.
Universalism: +1 Gold and Faith in Holy City for every 15 followers of this Religion in Foreign Cities. +25% Yields from Friendly/Allied City-States following this Religion.
Agree with ElliotS. The reward for spread is too low to care. You would get this if you were highly invested in city-states, and no other reason.
Orthodoxy: Religion spreads 30% faster (60% with Printing Press), and to Cities 20% further away. Pressure doubled to friendly City-States and foreign Cities connected via Trade Routes.
Super-hard, passive spread. Turn any civ into India. Turn India into GIGA-INDIA.

After you spread and reform, however, this doesn't really do anything for you. It doesn't feel like there's enough of a reason to get this belief because the rewards for spreading to another civ are so minor. If this belief was the difference between reforming and not reforming then fair enough, but how many people get into that situation, and how many people are AWARE of that situation in time?

Overall, this belief strikes me as cool, but ultimately pointless. It would be nice if there was a reform belief that doubled the benefits of shared religion. This belief is the "win-easier" of religious game; where is the "win-more"?

Like, maybe Global Commandments could double the number of delegates you get for sharing a religion? Maybe One World One Religion could siphon a yield off of civs that follow your religion, like a minor form of vassalization? Just spit-balling here.
Zealotry: May spend Faith to purchase land units in Cities. Strategic Resource quantities increase by 1% per following City (up to 25%).
No change. cool
Soothsaying: Ignore all Policy Requirements for Wonders. Holy City gains +5 Golden Age Points and +2 Great Person Points per turn for all Great People. +15% GP rate in Holy City during Golden Ages.
As I said before. I think this means Way of the Pilgrim should lose its policy reduction on wonders. Not sure if any other change woult be necessary, since it would be a minor tweak.

I'm a bit unenthused about how this and Ecclessiarchy both just feel like OCC beliefs. I think one of these needs to change, because right now they are both just huge steroids to the capital/holy city, and barely anything for the rest of the empire. We only need one of those, I think.
Investiture: Missionaries and Prophets of this Religion 25% stronger, cost 25% less Faith. +2 to base Holy Site yields.
Feels like this is supposed to pair with 1 world 1 religion, but I would be getting this mainly for the bonuses to Holy Sites.

I'm with Elliot, where I think it would be good to drop the missionary discount for something else. I don't like the idea of having just a flat bonus yields on all other GP tiles though; it's too similar to Knowledge Through Devotion.

Could maybe bring back the Instant :c5faith: on GP expend from Sainthood? Maybe have it scale by number of Cities converted?
Ecclesiarchy: Capital gains +10 Culture, and Holy City gains +10 Faith. +2 Golden Age Points in Holy City for every Foreign City following this Religion.
A per city bonus instead of a per follower bonus.
I second ElliotS' recommendation for the changes. 2:c5goldenage:GAP is very low-value. This is a OCC belief only.

See. Soothsaying point above. I think this is the better candidate for making it a bit "wider".
Syncretism: +1 Faith and Science for every 3 followers of other Religions in owned Cities following your Religion. +5 Culture when a Citizen is born in an owned City following this Religion, scaling with Era.
This belief would be a complete mess to use, and I can't imagine the yields would actually get that high from it. You have no control over how to get other civ's religious pressure into your own cities unless you bait a conversion in 1-2 of your cities and faith-buy missionaries of foreign religions. This seems very high-maintenance.

Idea: Cities following your religion have access to the pantheon belief of the religion with the second-highest number of followers in your city.

So basically instead of having an enhancer belief, your cities get a second pantheon belief. You don't have to get exactly (#Citizens/2)-1 of another faith to maximize your enhancer, you just need 1 follower of another religion

Last edited:
My own initial take:

--Honestly I think the Inquisitors and Spy notes are really fluff here. This is the "get off my lawn!" belief, but inquisitors aren't that expensive anyway. The crux here is the happiness bonus. So +2 happy per city. A great wide belief for people who just need to be happy, but I think there are better options.

--This one looks really nice. +12 production ITRs mid game...oh yeah. x3 with late game order.....OH MY!

--Eh, not really excited about this one.

--This is definitely a spread monster now.

--Still solid.

--Man I like this one. The policy ignore is fluff for many civs, but for some of the science heavy talls like Korea I would love this one. However, I think people are underestimating its use for Wide. With this belief, you suddenly have a Wide Empire whose capital is almost as good at GP generation as a Tradition Tall civ is. That is nothing to scoff at

--I agree the missionary is a weird split here. Is One World, One Religion still in? If not, you could transfer the pressure erosion here.

--I think Mendicancy beats this one in general. I guess if I was ETR focused and Tall.

--Ok so.
1) I own the city
2) It follows my Religion X.
3) +1 faith/science for 3 followers of Religion Y in my city.

That seems like garbage to me (effects from other religions is always inherently weak), and its just confusing. However, the culture boost look pretty darn sweet for a pop focused civ. But that said, it comes pretty late when I've already lost a lot of growth potential (compared to Cooperation which starts much earlier). Medicancy may still beat this one.

Edit: I intentionally didn't read other people's feedback before writing my own, but man it looks like I did. We seem to have some strong agreement on our thoughts so far.

Last edited:
Spain and Siam are going to be happy.
Spanish Mission:
150:c5faith: instant build in every city
2:c5faith:1:c5happy: from inquisition
3:c5food:1:c5happy: from nobility

Constabulary is generally looking overstacked at this point:
Siamese Wat
1:c5happy:2:c5faith: from inquisition
3:c5science: from Statecraft
1:c5happy: from Imperialism
3:c5culture:5:c5production: from Autocracy

I'm not really a fan of modifying buildings. Would it be possible to do something else, like double attrition for foreign missionaries?

ITR policy with no rewards for getting other civs to follow you. Unique and self-contained.

K.

Agree with ElliotS. The reward for spread is too low to care. You would get this if you were highly invested in city-states, and no other reason.

Super-hard, passive spread. Turn any civ into India. Turn India into GIGA-INDIA.

After you spread and reform, however, this doesn't really do anything for you. It doesn't feel like there's enough of a reason to get this belief because the rewards for spreading to another civ are so minor. If this belief was the difference between reforming and not reforming then fair enough, but how many people get into that situation, and how many people are AWARE of that situation in time?

Overall, this belief strikes me as cool, but ultimately pointless. It would be nice if there was a reform belief that doubled the benefits of shared religion. This belief is the "win-easier" of religious game; where is the "win-more"?

Like, maybe Global Commandments could double the number of delegates you get for sharing a religion? Maybe One World One Religion could siphon a yield off of civs that follow your religion, like a minor form of vassalization? Just spit-balling here.

No change. cool

As I said before. I think this means Way of the Pilgrim should lose its policy reduction on wonders. Not sure if any other change woult be necessary, since it would be a minor tweak.

I'm a bit unenthused about how this and Ecclessiarchy both just feel like OCC beliefs. I think one of these needs to change, because right now they are both just huge steroids to the capital/holy city, and barely anything for the rest of the empire. We only need one of those, I think.

Feels like this is supposed to pair with 1 world 1 religion, but I would be getting this mainly for the bonuses to Holy Sites.

I'm with Elliot, where I think it would be good to drop the missionary discount for something else. I don't like the idea of having just a flat bonus yields on all other GP tiles though; it's too similar to Knowledge Through Devotion.

Could maybe bring back the Instant :c5faith: on GP expend from Sainthood? Maybe have it scale by number of Cities converted?

A per city bonus instead of a per follower bonus.
I second ElliotS' recommendation for the changes. 2:c5goldenage:GAP is very low-value. This is a OCC belief only.

See. Soothsaying point above. I think this is the better candidate for making it a bit "wider".

This belief would be a complete mess to use, and I can't imagine the yields would actually get that high from it. You have no control over how to get other civ's religious pressure into your own cities unless you bait a conversion in 1-2 of your cities and faith-buy missionaries of foreign religions. This seems very high-maintenance.

Idea: Cities following your religion have access to the pantheon belief of the religion with the second-highest number of followers in your city.

So basically instead of having an enhancer belief, your cities get a second pantheon belief. You don't have to get exactly (#Citizens/2)-1 of another faith to maximize your enhancer, you just need 1 follower of another religion

I'm desperately avoiding new code, which is why there aren't any new effects here. We're really, really running out of headroom for memory.

G

These changes will be accompanied by three other changes:

• St. Basil will no longer give a free reformation - instead, it will reduce the % of global followers you need for a Reformation by 10% (to 10% in Standard).
  • Glory of God - non-unlocked GPs will be double faith cost compared to those you've unlocked with Policies.

I forgot to comment about these changes. I approve them, Makes the Theology rush less mandatory for those not planning to spread the religion. Players rush it merely for the Basil quite often.

I'm desperately avoiding new code, which is why there aren't any new effects here. We're really, really running out of headroom for memory.

xD

Hmm, is adding a smaller version of Basil's effect (e.g. 5%) on an enhancer a new code? It could be fitting for a enhancer that doesn't try to spread, like Inquisition. I still think the happiness on this one is too much.

Round 2

Fight!

Enhancers:

Inquisition: Inquisitors cost 25% less Faith. Your spies exert +25 Religious Pressure on the Cities they occupy (Standard Speed). Owned cities with only your Religion present generate +2 Happiness.

Mendicancy: +2 Culture and Faith in all owned Cities following this Religion. Internal Trade Routes generate +4 Food and Production.

Universalism: +1 Gold and Faith in Holy City for every 8 followers of this Religion in Foreign Cities. Missionaries of this Religion 20% stronger, cost 20% less Faith, and erode existing pressure from other religions when spreading.

Orthodoxy: Religion spreads 25% faster (50% with Printing Press), and to Cities 20% further away. Pressure doubled to friendly City-States and foreign Cities connected via Trade Routes.

Prophecy: Ignore all Policy Requirements for Wonders. Holy City gains +5 Golden Age Points and +2 Great Person Points per turn for all Great People. +15% GP rate in Holy City during Golden Ages.

Sainthood: Prophets of this Religion 25% stronger, cost 25% less Faith. +3 to base Holy Site yields. Holy City gains 20 Faith each time the owner expends a Great Person. Bonus scales with Era.

Ecclesiarchy: Capital gains +10 Culture, and Holy City gains +10 Faith. +2 Golden Age Points and Gold in Holy City for every Foreign City following this Religion.

Syncretism: +1 Faith and Science for every 2 followers of other Religions in owned Cities following your Religion. +5 Culture when a Citizen is born in an owned City following this Religion, scaling with Era.
Reformations

Jesuit Education: May build Universities, Public Schools, and Research Labs with Faith. If the majority Religion, Follower reduction from rival Inquisitors and Prophets halved.

One World, One Religion: Receive 1 additional Delegate in the World Congress for every 8 City-States in the game. +34% Yields from Friendly/Allied City-States following this Religion.

Sacred Sites: Hotels and all buildings purchased with Faith provide +3 Tourism each. World and Natural Wonders gain +4 Tourism each. Hermitage provides +10 Culture and +10 Tourism.

Glory of God: Use Faith to purchase any type of Great Person (in Industrial Era), with units locked behind Policy Branches costing double their normal amount. When you expend a Great Person, gain 1 Gold, Science, and Culture per City following your Religion (max 20 Cities).

Faith of the Masses: May build Amphitheaters, Opera Houses, Museums, Stadiums, and Broadcast Towers with Faith. Holy City owner gains +1 Happiness for every two Cities following this Religion.​

Other Changes:
  • Removed Wonder Policy element from Way of the Pilgrim

Last edited:
Proposed system:
Spoiler :
Inquisition: Wide Happiness & resilience
Medicancy: Wide yields and ITRs
Universalism: Bonus per Follower
Orthodoxy: Spread Steroids
Zealotry: Warfighting
Soothsaying: Wonder/OCC steroids
Investiture: GProphet steroids
Ecclesiarchy: Bonus per City
Syncretism: Bonuses from other believers

Recommendations 2.0 that require minimal or no new code:
Inquisition: I would scrap this, personally, and design a different belief based on asymetric spread and resilience as a core theme.
It's weird that Inquisition gives so much happiness, isn't it? Not only for balance, but as a concept. The inquisition was bloody and awful. I think another belief should be made for wide happiness.

Fortitude: +20% Religious defense in cities following this religion. +10 Religious Pressure on the Cities they occupy (Standard Speed). Inquisitors and Prophets reduce this religion's presence by half (instead of eliminating it).

Investiture: Wouldn't this be better if called Consecration? Investiture is more political.
Remove Missionary Discount, Add Yield for every GP expend (same code at TtGoG)

Universalism: increase Bonus per Follower

Ecclessiarchy: No one uses the term 'Ecclessiarchy' except Warhammer 40K. Everyone else just says Theocracy.
Increase bonus of Per City amount, so that it is worth spending missionaries on. Maybe 2:c5goldenage: /2:tourism: in capital per city?

Syncretism: It won't be fun to micromanage maximizing your yields from this. nix the whole idea if no new code is allowed. Syncretism is about incorporating aspects of
different faiths into a larger whole, so unless there's a way to "steal" tenets from another faith, then you won't be able to reflect this in-game. This current effect would be more accurately called "toleration"

Alternative Beliefs:
Pacifism - wide happiness - +5% :c5food: and +5% :c5production: if not at war. +1:c5happy: On Temples following this religion.

Under construction. Didn’t see the updated version when I posted

Last edited:
Ecclessiarchy: No one uses the term 'Ecclessiarchy' except Warhammer 40K. Everyone else just says Theocracy.

Sounds like something a heretic would say...

(We already have Theocratic Rule, can't use that term. And Ecclesiarchy is technically slightly different...)

G

Sounds like something a heretic would say...

(We already have Theocratic Rule, can't use that term. And Ecclesiarchy is technically slightly different...)

G
I was actually trying to find alternatives when you posted this. What about “Diocese”?

Also, in the interest of trying to make things a little more universal in flavour, you could call “sainthood” “martyrdom”?

I was actually trying to find alternatives when you posted this. What about “Diocese”?

Also, in the interest of trying to make things a little more universal in flavour, you could call “sainthood” “martyrdom”?

Perhaps. And perhaps.

Also, not sure if you saw my Round 2 above.

G

Not till after I posted my 2nd response, but yeah. Most of my concerns have been addressed in round 2.

Top Bottom