1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Going for Gold: Resource / Monopoly Bonuses

Discussion in 'General Balance' started by Stalker0, Jun 4, 2018.

?

Is this item in a reasonable state of balance?

Poll closed Jun 18, 2018.
  1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  1. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

2. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

Just the idea of crab as a luxury is funny to me; what was firaxis thinking? It seems more fitting as a bonus resource. For most of history, eating crustaceans was seen as poor people food. People would hide the shells in pits instead of throwing them in the trash, for fear of the neighbours interpreting their shells as a sign that the family was struggling.

Like, if firaxis needed another sea-based luxury they could have gone with wampum, or shark fins, or put dyes as a sea resource ... oh well.

Back to mechanics, having such a high food luxury is really nice, but only if you have other things around you to work. Coastal cities are usually fine for food already, so those starts can be tough if they don’t have decent production nearby

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Bascule2000, wobuffet and ElliotS like this.
  3. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Which is why I’m giving it +1 p on fishing boats.

Edit: crab as an abstraction for shellfish makes sense to me. Lots of money in sea bugs.

G

4. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

As an entomologist, I like to think of crabs and lobsters as some sort of gateway drug towards full-blown entomophagy.

We went from utter disgust at eating crab to mashing up fish so that it looks vaguely like crab in the span of about 40 years. Your grandkids are going to be eating mopane worms like it aint no thang, mark my words

5. peterw1987

peterw1987 Prince

I am glad someone validates my point. Food and gold is the last thing coastal cities needed. And that is what exactly crab yield and improvement yield gives.

6. chicorbeef

chicorbeef Emperor

You get +2 faith instantly? I thought you needed to have a monopoly for that.

Honestly, I still feel as if Tobacco is weak. Incense provides Faith after improvement, provides Culture instantly, is buffed by an early building (Temples) and has a Faith monopoly. Wine provides culture as well IIRC. But Tobacco provides nothing but food/gold and doesn't give Faith from it's improvement (so the speed on which you get a faster religion is actually pretty marginal sometimes).

I think Tobacco plantations should get +1 culture or production to balance things out, or they should get both from the market.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  7. black213

black213 Emperor

There was some brief discussion on about resources with :c5culture: base yields a while ago, and the popular opinion seems to be that having extra culture in your start is too impactful.
    Perhaps the initial culture should be shifted to the improvement yields?

8. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

9. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Deity

I've changed my mind, Tobacco should be buffed. It's bad. I'm fine with some resources being superior or inferior to others, but this one takes it too far.

10. black213

black213 Emperor

I agree on the Tobacco part, but disagree about resources' balance's importance. All of them should at least have their shining moments, but this isn't the case currently.

11. LukaSlovenia29

LukaSlovenia29 Emperor

I agree with the culture luxuries start, it's very strong, in my opinion too strong.

black213 likes this.
  12. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Deity

I'm not saying some shouldn't shine - all ought to at a certain point, just that some sort of imbalance is inevitable and adds flavour to the game.

13. black213

black213 Emperor

I also want to bring up Amber specifically. It's good to discuss these things :). Were any of you ever satisfied with it as a monopoly start of yours? I personally feel it's just very meh the way it is.

14. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

So the oil monopoly is just completely overpowered, right?

15. Chandler

Chandler Warlord

I think the idea is nice, but +2 EXP should be enough. +5 is more than 2x what ranged units get, and they also benefit from it. With double attack promotions, units can gain 14-20 EXP every turn.

CrazyG and LukaSlovenia29 like this.
  16. phantomaxl1207

phantomaxl1207 King

Seems appropriate to me. Makes me wish that the Uranium Strategic Monopoly was just as powerful.

17. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

To be honest I wouldn't be against weakening the strategic monopolies across the board. They are really easy to get with statecraft.

18. ElliotS

ElliotS Warmonger

I feel like Strategic monopolies are powerful, but should be. Later ones should be more powerful. Look at the boosts that tourism gets from later techs. I think Oil monopoly and such is pretty much the warfare equivalent.

19. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Isn’t that part of the point of statecraft though?

ElliotS likes this.
  20. ColonelCarter

ColonelCarter Chieftain

It's really strong, but since units stop gaining XP from combat at level 10 or 11 (can't remember) it doesn't get too crazy. If you've been warring a ton, you're likely close to that point on your best units by that time anyway, so it only helps new recruits get up. I guess planes will always be new.