1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Going for Gold: Tourism

Discussion in 'General Balance' started by CrazyG, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

it’s not 1:1, hasn’t been for awhile. I think it’s 1:4 right now but not at desk to look.

2. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

After digging in the repository, I find that the ratio is 1:3 culture:tourism, but I'm seeing some really weird stuff in CvPlayer::GetHistoricEventTourism. Might report on Github when I have time.

3. Drakle

Drakle King

How should wide tourism be fixed?

Wide tourism has been identified as a major issue for a long while, and even the most optimal scenarios of wide tourism, such as Byzantium with Sacred Sites, and 3 religious buildings, still underperforms a basic tall Tradition empire. But it is still stuck in this broken state.

4. InkAxis

InkAxis Prince

We suggested a change for order's cultural revolution tenet a while ago, that would be helpful as that policy is a bit weird. It gives tourism to GW, which you don't have many as wide. Doubling science stealing speed is not only useless but also doesn't make sense.

EDIT: @pineappledan 's proposal was:
    Some of the numbers could be tweaked but it makes sense as a big problem with wide are the penalties. A big strength or order is tourism so the proccess makes sense.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Nightmare Dusk likes this.
  5. Milae

Milae Warlord

Could just use some different maths for the tourism penalty.
    Currently if you have n+1 cities (first one doesn't give penalty) you will have:
    100 - (n * 5)
    For n=10: 100 - (10 * 5) = 50% tourism
    Possible options:
    100 * (0.95 ^ n)
    For n=10: 100 * (0.95 ^ 10) = 59.9% tourism
    or
    100 / (1 + n * 0.05)
    For n=10: 100 / (1 + 10 * 0.05) = 66.7% tourism

Nightmare Dusk likes this.
  6. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

The last one would put it in line with science and culture. I think we should stick to that (and remove the -75% cap). The multiplier should be larger though, I think.

Nightmare Dusk and Milae like this.
  7. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

sacred site reformation is too OP. i consistently get ~90 tourism to AI ~35, and become influential with 8 out of 21 civs by turn 120.

8. Milae

Milae Warlord

Yea it is great for early tourism but doesn't give any culture so it will still take a long time to get to two tier 3 ideologies.