1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Going from base Civ5 to installing BNW (skipping G&K)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Odindusk, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Odindusk

Odindusk Chieftain

I played the base game to death a couple years ago. Now I have the itch again, and want to explore new content. I only have spare cash for one expansion right now and everyone says that BNW is a must-have.

So...is it fine to skip G&K altogether? Will BNW install and play just fine without it?

Thank you in advance - I wasn't getting a clear answer in my searches.

2. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

You'll get all of the mechanics and balance changes introduced in G&K (most notably religion) if you get BNW, all you miss out on are the civs. I would recommend picking up G&K eventually though since a lot of the coolest civs in the game are from that pack (Mayaaaaa) but you can just wait to pick it up for peanuts on a steam sale.

3. fuzzatron717

fuzzatron717 Holy Warrior

I would suggest boxing day sale to pick up both expansions or get the gold edition plus BNW saving the most money and getting most of the content.

4. Odindusk

Odindusk Chieftain

Thanks Archano - that's exactly what I was looking for.

I want to wait for a Steam sale, but my month-long break from university starts today. Not sure if waiting two weeks for a sale is in my best interest... :D

5. soldier2975

soldier2975 Chieftain

I suggest G&K before BNW because its hard to play BNW without G&K but its easier to play G&K without BNW

6. Big J Money

Big J Money Emperor

Expect a sea of changes that will be a completely different and slower game than Vanilla. Also, I don't think you'll get any tutorial popups for the G&K specific changes, so you'll just have to figure them out on your own.

Personally I think ramping up via G&K is an easier way, but YMMV.

7. Loucypher

Loucypher King

Keep in mind, the Gold Edition Upgrade (If you already have the base edition) will only run you a tenner, if that (given all kinds of sales). Included in the upgrade is not only Gods & Kings, but also all the DLC civs and a bunch of map and wonder packs.

8. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

I believe the steam sale starts on the 19th of this month. You're best going for the gold upgrade and BNW imo regardless whether you wait for the sales or not.

9. Odindusk

Odindusk Chieftain

I hereby proclaim myself convinced that I should just get both, starting with Gold.